Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
D4N14L
Edge User

Angry A Better On-Screen Keyboard

The keyboard on the eDGe is absolutely dreadful. When in horizontal mode, the keys are much too small vertically, so I may end up hitting the letter above it. Also, the accuracy is horrible. Sometimes when I press a key, I will either get the key beside it, which I am clearly not near, or the key press wont even register. Another thing would be the ability to disable the "up, down, left and right" keys, as I barely even use them.

Now, to make a point, I will retype this using my eDGe, but I won't edit it.

The keybard on tje eDGe is abslutely dreafful. When in horizontl mode, thw leys are much too small vertocally, so I may end up hitong th letter besid it, which I am clearly nt near, t the key pres wont even registr. Another thong would be the ability to disable the "u, down, left and right" kys, as I barly eben usq them.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
D4N14L
Edge User

and yet when in vertical mode, thees close to no errors. sorry, forgot to add that.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
rcool
Edge User

Interesting. I was just about to post a keyboard request, but almost the opposite of yours.

I was hoping to use my eDGe for Distributed Proofreaders, which feeds Project Gutenberg, but the keyboard is too big!

I'd like to have an option of a smaller keyboard (changeable in System Preferences), as I've been using the stylus and haven't had problems (in vertical mode).

An external keyboard seems to completely defeat the purpose of this portable device holding it on my lap/stomach.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
D4N14L
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Another quirk I see sometimes on the LCD, especially when browsing a list (of songs) or a web page is that I tap the screen and the screen jumps/scrolls half a page.

All this leads me to belief that the LCD input needs further tweaking.

Bottom line, use the stylus for accurate on-screen typing, and an external keyboard for extensive typing.
That happens to me too. It definitely seems to be an LCD quirk. I'm hoping that it's fixable though software rather than it being a problem with capacitive vs. resistive technologies, or a problem with the quality of the screen.

Maybe the updates in the summer will correct the screen issues. In the end though, it's sad that we have a screen this big, yet the best option to type is still using a stylus.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
jonnickell
Edge User

I have had the same 1/2 page skip when I am scrolling. I also use the stylus to type.. it works very well. I saw an Android replacement key board program on slideme.org but it cost money so I didn't try it. I thought the update was supposed to make the screen less sensitive...it seems more sensitive....though I only used it for a few hrs until I ran accross a post that told me how to actually activate the update after I had downloaded it about 10 times with nothing to indicate how to start it, then it only took 10 min to update.