Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #16
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
Apparently, the prices are not confirmed by Samsung until release (mid Oct.).
Austrian Newspapers quoted €699 /€799, but chances are, these are assumtions too.
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #17
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The price is higher, because the Super AMOLED screen is pricier. It is really the best phone screen I've seen, IMO -- the contrast is just amazing.

For me, though, it's a no go" I already find the screen size of my Kindle DX and iPad too small for PDFs, and 7 is closer to my Kindle 2, which I almost never use anymore.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:26 AM   #18
T_Frain_K
Booyah!
T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.T_Frain_K once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Gen3 // Samsung Galaxy S
The Galaxy Tab will not have a Super-AMOLED screen, not even an AMOLED one.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/06/s...ab-with-super/
T_Frain_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #19
fencepost
fencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enoughfencepost will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Vibrant (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume it will also run the Kindle for Android ap... once/if that is released.
The Kindle app is available for Android - it was actually preinstalled on my Vibrant, and was updated from the market from the version that ships on the phone. It's the first thing that turns up on a Market search for Kindle.
fencepost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume it will also run the Kindle for Android ap... once/if that is released.
It was released a couple of months ago.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM   #21
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Hmmm... What's the opposite of love? Oh yeah, I hate the price of this thing. Archos has a good idea. If I need wifi, just let me tether to my phone.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #22
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Let's not forget that iPad was widely touted as being in the $800-1000 range by a whole host of 'experts' analysts and pundits before it was launched with the $499 bombshell in April. I'm sure Samsung will price Galaxy at a level they think it will sell best at, though I do find it telling that just a few short weeks away from launch and they haven't confirmed prices yet - if they were bringing this to market for significantly less than the iPad I think they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, and whilst I'm sure a well-specced 7" tablet from a reputable supplier that isn't Apple will do well, it does need to be priced appropriately.

Cheers, Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #23
Xerxes
Addict

Archos's $300 dollar is better than $500. But with Apple you'll get more support. I already know Archos won't be able to update to Android 3.0. Sad state of affairs. And I feel like the dupe who will try and get one day one anyways.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #24
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Archos's $300 dollar is better than $500. But with Apple you'll get more support. I already know Archos won't be able to update to Android 3.0. Sad state of affairs. And I feel like the dupe who will try and get one day one anyways.
If the device has good specs and cheap it will get custom mods, hacks and updates its open source OS even if Archos's don't upgrade someone else will.
Although I would wait for Gingerbread to be released before I buy any tablet.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
Xerxes
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
If the device has good specs and cheap it will get custom mods, hacks and updates its open source OS even if Archos's don't upgrade someone else will.
Although I would wait for Gingerbread to be released before I buy any tablet.
Yeah the more I think about it, Archos 101 seems ok, but Gingerbread might be something to wait for. But now I'm so worked up for wanting a tablet.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #26
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
New review up here.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #27
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for that Phogg!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 AM   #28
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Frain_K View Post
The Galaxy Tab will not have a Super-AMOLED screen, not even an AMOLED one.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/06/s...ab-with-super/
Ah, well...

Without the Super AMOLED screen, the Samsung Tab better be under $400 if it is to sell at all and under $300 if it is to sell in any substantial numbers. The 7" field is already getting crowded and I personally fail to see the appeal -- too big to be pocketable, too small to be really useful as a tablet.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #29
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
A 7 inch tab is the same overall size as your 6 inch kindle and hence the same size that %90+ of users seem to think is the best form factor for an ereader. I have an apad android tablet - a cruddy screen etc but in terms of size it gives a good idea of how convenient a quality tab this size would be. It can be held easily in 1 hand and offers a great sofa web browsing experience or short period reader
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #30
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Good they heard the complains now are going to come out with a wifi only ver as well
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote