Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #31
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Boy, you can learn a lot here. Why newspapers use the column format, how scrolls work, ... Who says I am wasting time surfing the net?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
...implying that because you've been here longer, you're somehow better...
Talk about iegesis, "reading into the text," rather than exegesis, "reading from the text," I made no such implication. I did imply that new posters such as yourself have not been around here long enough to understand the community known as MR. And you just proved that beyond doubt. I called the other two posters jerks because they were giving the OP a hard time about a legitimate question he had. And I stand behind that statement.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #33
eisegesis
Banned
eisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enougheisegesis will become famous soon enough

Device: huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Talk about iegesis, "reading into the text," rather than exegesis, "reading from the text,"...
Isn't it eisegesis?
eisegesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #34
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
I can see somewhat of an application if it's a textbook and say if it is math and you want to go back and forth..I'm just not exactly sure how that would work here.

I think kindle is improving things and there is still a way to go. The number of font sizes is one thing and I think that there will be an outright font selection.

Maybe a future os could make it so that it divides a page up but I'm not sure how much that would affect the time to read the book. ...way back in the day I had a cybiko that tried to do ebooks...it simply flashed a word a second and expect you to read it..didn't work well.

I guess simply formatting the text to be two pages could be ok but it would be dividing current pages up. Technically you can have columns if you read pdf's..
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #35
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I can see somewhat of an application if it's a textbook and say if it is math and you want to go back and forth..I'm just not exactly sure how that would work here.

I think kindle is improving things and there is still a way to go. The number of font sizes is one thing and I think that there will be an outright font selection.

Maybe a future os could make it so that it divides a page up but I'm not sure how much that would affect the time to read the book. ...way back in the day I had a cybiko that tried to do ebooks...it simply flashed a word a second and expect you to read it..didn't work well.

I guess simply formatting the text to be two pages could be ok but it would be dividing current pages up. Technically you can have columns if you read pdf's..

Dividing 1 page into 2 pages would be horrible.

I just want to display both pages of a book as shown by ybook software for pc.

I don't understand why the luddite elements here want to deprive those do want to display 2 pages.

I mean if you want it, fine.But let us have what we want and you can do what you like.

Also many people here cannot understand that turning pages requires energy.Battery life is partially proportional to page turns.

4 weeks with wi-fi off and 10 days with wi-fi on.

it could be more like 6 weeks with wi-fi off and maybe 14 days with wi-fi on if books were only read as 2 pages on the screen at the same time.

I urge 2 page advocates to email amazon as above as I did and mention the battery power saving that would result as well..
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
Also many people here cannot understand that turning pages requires energy.Battery life is partially proportional to page turns.

4 weeks with wi-fi off and 10 days with wi-fi on.

it could be more like 6 weeks with wi-fi off and maybe 14 days with wi-fi on if books were only read as 2 pages on the screen at the same time.
I'm afraid your logic escapes me.

If you display two pages on the screen at once, in landscape orientation, then generally speaking you'll be seeing less text than if you were viewing a single page in portrait orientation. That's because there is more white space around two pages than around one. Viewing double pages will therefore result in more page turns, and a shorter battery life.

Can you explain how you think it would actually extend battery life?

Last edited by HarryT; 08-27-2010 at 11:55 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #37
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Personally I'd urge 2 page advocates to buy another device that does what they want, rather than harrass a vendor for something that, if it had been considered a good idea, would have been included in the first place.

I like to make the font pretty big as my eyesight isn't that good these days, which is one of the key things for many users - particularly for a device like the Kindle that Just Works. Why would you make it smaller, unless you have super duper vision that likes reading things even smaller than standard text?

I just don't get it - buy something else if it isn't right.

Or maybe go off and write a hack like other fine folks here did and contribute to the community that way.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #38
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=HarryT;1078730]That's because there is more white space around two pages than around one. Viewing double pages will therefore result in more page turns, and a shorter battery life.

/QUOTE]

COULD YOU EXPLAIN THAT?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Personally I'd urge 2 page advocates to buy another device that does what they want, rather than harrass a vendor for something that, if it had been considered a good idea, would have been included in the first place.
According to that logic wouldn't we still be purchasing K1s rather than K3s? If we don't ask for improvements (regardless of how few are how many consider them improvements) the eventual K4 will be a K3 in a different color and a few things Amazon designers thought up. With corporate America you pretty much have to ask for everything under the sun and be happy to get the moon in return. That's the way the game is played here. I know of no device that was as good as it could be when first introduced. But if companies listen to the buyer then over time their product improves to meet the consumers wants and needs. Hence we went from a K1 to an improved K2 and now to an even more improved K3.

Of course if only a small percentage of consumers want a two-column display of text I would fully expect Amazon to ignore the request. But if a sizeable number of consumers request it, they might take note.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-28-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #40
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Quote:
If more people asked for the feature as above they might write it in the sogtware.

Reading 2 pages is more natural and seeing todays screen shots in landscape mode of people who got their kindle 3 early ,2 pages would in fact be just like reading a paperback so I urge everyone to petition for this feature as I have above.
Hi
Please do not take this as me being offensive, however I genuinely think this is not a good idea.

I'm not sure if you've got Kindle DXs confused with the third generation Kindles Amazon have just released, but the Kindle 3 only has a 6" screen. Now that 6" is the size diagonally, the length of the screen is actually more like 12.3 cm, once you allow for the margins you have a viewable width of roughly 11 cm. Once you allowed for the space between columns which would be roughly another 6-7 mm you would be talking about 5.2 cm per column - that's roughly 4 words per line for each column. I suspect this would not make it feel like a book but more like a tabloid newspaper.

I have attached a close-up photo of a typical page in landscape orientation which might help you understand why I wouldn't recommend 2 pages on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0482.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	753.8 KB
ID:	57310  
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #41
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Currently there is no way to do it and I dont see Amazon doing anything about it. As for someone writing a program to do it, well, I am sure that someone would be able to figure it out but I dont really see it being something people would really demand
A couple of months ago Amazon had a notice on their web site saying they were working on updates and a two page display was included. I wish I had saved a screen shot, but I didn't. This may have about Kindle for PC, I don't remember exactly.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #42
robins777
Enthusiast
robins777 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3-- Archos 5 A
Everybody has their ideas as to what constitutes the best reader and all are valid which is shown by the varied selection of readers on the market.

This just happened to be the topic of a conversation I had with a friend when I ordered my Kindle. He said he was looking for a reader and is adamant that it should display 2 pages at a time. He says he would, ideally, like one with 2 screen which unfolded/opened out like a book, preferable with 8-9 " screens. Jokingly I told him there are things called books on the market which do that for under £10.
robins777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
COULD YOU EXPLAIN THAT?
I would have thought that it was fairly self-evident. When you only have one page displayed on the screen, the only "wasted space" is the margins around the edge of the page. When you have two pages - or rather, two columns displayed on the one page - you not only have the margins around the edge, but the space between the columns, hence less usable area on the screen in which to actually display text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #44
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would have thought that it was fairly self-evident. When you only have one page displayed on the screen, the only "wasted space" is the margins around the edge of the page. When you have two pages - or rather, two columns displayed on the one page - you not only have the margins around the edge, but the space between the columns, hence less usable area on the screen in which to actually display text.
But why you want to have white spaces around the text?
you can surely adjust have near zero space?

what about font size?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:23 AM   #45
vugtitan
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinath View Post
Hi
Please do not take this as me being offensive, however I genuinely think this is not a good idea.

I'm not sure if you've got Kindle DXs confused with the third generation Kindles Amazon have just released, but the Kindle 3 only has a 6" screen. Now that 6" is the size diagonally, the length of the screen is actually more like 12.3 cm, once you allow for the margins you have a viewable width of roughly 11 cm. Once you allowed for the space between columns which would be roughly another 6-7 mm you would be talking about 5.2 cm per column - that's roughly 4 words per line for each column. I suspect this would not make it feel like a book but more like a tabloid newspaper.

I have attached a close-up photo of a typical page in landscape orientation which might help you understand why I wouldn't recommend 2 pages on the screen.
In that image what font size are you using...max or min?

surely it depend on the font size and i thought i saw elsewhere here you could configure the number of words per line and font size and spacing between words and lines

am i right ?

could you do another screen shot showing the smallest font with smallest space between words and lines?

Tags
2 pages, book, display, hack, software