Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
splanis
splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: amazon kindle
Amazon Kindle 3 (2015)

Hello, i found an Amazon Kindle 3 (2015) on my Vacation. I spoke with Amazon if they can contact to the original owner so i can return it and they responded that they cant for privacy reasons. The kindle is locked (reported as lost) and i cant login my account, is there any way so i can use this kindle?
splanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
1st you want to return it Now you want to use it.... sheesh Why not send it Back to Amazon so they Can send it to the current owner.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
splanis
splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.splanis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: amazon kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
1st you want to return it Now you want to use it.... sheesh Why not send it Back to Amazon so they Can send it to the current owner.
i contacted them and they told me they cant do anything. They told me to take it to the police. That happened before 3 weeks, i live in Greece and the kindle was found in a hotel in Italian Language so it seems pointless to me to take it to the police. So why not to use it if amazon doesnt me want to return it to the original owner?
splanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Do what they said Take it to the Police! You Nobody can use it its been Bricked!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splanis View Post
i contacted them and they told me they cant do anything. They told me to take it to the police. That happened before 3 weeks, i live in Greece and the kindle was found in a hotel in Italian Language so it seems pointless to me to take it to the police. So why not to use it if amazon doesnt me want to return it to the original owner?
Hey, I went to Greece. . .wait, nevermind that was back in 1976. . guess I need to keep looking for my lost kindle.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon has never given owner info to someone who finds a lost Kindle, nor will they return one if sent to them. They have never returned lost devices in that way.

If not reported lost to Amazon, it could be registered to the finder's account, after being reset to factory specs.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can use it for reading if you side-load books (ie transfer them via USB), but you won't be able to register the device (assuming it's been reported missing to Amazon and thus "blacklisted"). Using it yourself seems reasonable enough to me. You've made attempts to return it to its original owner.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I agree with Harry, which I rarely do.

You've done all you can do to return it. I suggest using it as best you can without feeling bad about it.

If you do turn it into the police someone there will eventually end up with it and do just that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can use it for reading if you side-load books (ie transfer them via USB), but you won't be able to register the device (assuming it's been reported missing to Amazon and thus "blacklisted"). Using it yourself seems reasonable enough to me. You've made attempts to return it to its original owner.
Yep, that's what I did with the one I bought at a pawn shop that was blacklisted. I called Amazon and told them I was willing to send it to them, so they could send it to its owner, but they weren't interested. They just told me to return it to the pawn shop to get my money back. So ... my dad, who won't use WiFi, owns it and uses it every day for side-loaded books.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-15-2018 at 05:06 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
If you do turn it into the police someone there will eventually end up with it and do just that.
It'll probably go into storage somewhere and end up being thrown away in a few years.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #11
csmith2884
csmith2884 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
Really you can buy those used for $20 which is what I would do if I lost one. Use it give it to someone who will. No way it is worth trying to return between language barriers and customs/international shipping. My old ones go to kids like old phones if they get lost, broken or stolen it is a lesson for them before they carry more expensive tech.
csmith2884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It seems that Amazon doesn't keep our Kindles very safe. If someone honest finds our lost Kindle, Amazon should contact us and ask if we want it returned, maybe for the price of p&p (and perhaps a small reward for the honest finder).

I'm surprised that they don't already provide such a service. Maybe it would be a good idea to put our names and addresses inside the cover we keep our Kindle in? Or would this last suggestion leave us open to ransom demands?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to put our names and addresses inside the cover we keep our Kindle in? Or would this last suggestion leave us open to ransom demands?
I've always put a label saying "If found, please phone <my mobile phone number>" on the back of all my mobile devices. Doing that's paid off, too - I once left my iPad in a cafe and they phoned me when it was found! I use one of those machines that prints labels on self-adhesive strips - comes in useful for all sorts of things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with this.

I actually had to contact Amazon yesterday because I work for a child welfare agency, and someone keeps sending T-shirts here from Amazon warehouses. Clearly someone's buying these for a certain child, but there isn't any name on the packages or documentation inside. The customer support was sweet, but she said she could only tell me the first name of the sending. Unfortunately that doesn't help me - they did tell me one of the packages was from a different person, and two from the same person. I asked if Amazon could contact the buyers and let them know to contact us so we can know where these packages go. She said she would put in a request for it to be done. I hope so, otherwise these have just been sitting in my desk drawer.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It seems that Amazon doesn't keep our Kindles very safe. If someone honest finds our lost Kindle, Amazon should contact us and ask if we want it returned, maybe for the price of p&p (and perhaps a small reward for the honest finder).

I'm surprised that they don't already provide such a service. Maybe it would be a good idea to put our names and addresses inside the cover we keep our Kindle in? Or would this last suggestion leave us open to ransom demands?
Does Apple do this? Or any company? It seems unreasonable to me to expect Amazon or any company to become the middle man in getting lost devices back to their owners.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote