Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #1
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Instructions for patching firmware 4.35.20400

This patch thread is for firmware 4.35.20400 (73cfa09552e5d72a3b23edb44554fd157dc4b508):

Instructions for patching on Windows, Linux, or macOS with kobopatch:
  1. Download the Kobo firmware release
    You can find the download links here here.
  2. Download and extract the patch zip
    Download and unzip kobopatch_4.35.20400.zip from here.
  3. Copy the firmware file to the src folder
    Copy the original firmware you just downloaded into the kobopatch src folder.
  4. Install the firmware if needed
    Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps. You can do this by extracting the contents of the firmware zip into the .kobo folder and ejecting.
  5. Choose your patches from the files in the src folder
    Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
  6. Run kobopatch
    Double-click kobopatch.bat on Windows, or run ./kobopatch.sh on Linux or macOS. On macOS, you can drag it into the terminal and press enter (you may need to go to System Preferences - Security and Privacy - General to confirm that you actually want to run it).
  7. Install the patches by copying KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder of your device
    If the patching succeeded, a file named KoboRoot.tgz will be created in the out folder. Copy it to the .kobo folder of your device. Safely remove your device once you are finished. On Linux, you may have to press Ctrl+H to show the .kobo folder.
Download
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Changes to the kobopatch zip:
v81 (2023-06-23): Add Clara2E comment labels (jackie_w).
v80 (2022-12-08): Initial release for 4.35.20400.

Missing patches:
- GeoffR: KePub constant font sharpness
- GeoffR: Ignore .otf fonts

Last edited by geek1011; 06-23-2023 at 12:37 AM. Reason: v81
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 08:01 PM   #3
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
@geek1011 Thanks for the updates!
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #4
GlenRunciter
Enthusiast
GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'GlenRunciter knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kobo Sage
Big THX for the patches!
GlenRunciter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #5
nietsnut
nietsnut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you for the patches 👍🏻
nietsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #6
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Thank you! 😊
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 10:30 PM   #7
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Thank you
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thank you very much for the patches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #9
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
---deleted----

Last edited by Dirk-71; 01-07-2023 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Resolved
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 02:58 PM   #10
Vetchy
Connoisseur
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Today was update to new version and apply my list of patches and get issue with cyrillic text in header and footer (extra space between letters).
And don't understand this is bug or something was changed in FW and direct replace font dont' fix this.

My kobopatch.yaml
Code:
## Works with kobopatch v0.15.0 and later.
## You can update kobopatch by downloading the latest release from https://github.com/pgaskin/kobopatch/releases. 
version: 4.35.20400
in: src/kobo-update-4.35.20400.zip
out: out/KoboRoot.tgz
log: out/log.txt

patchFormat: kobopatch

patches:
  src/nickel.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/nickel
  src/libadobe.so.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml: usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0

overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
    Remove footer (row3) and increase cover size on new home screen: yes
    Change TOC level indentation: yes
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Set KePub hyphenation: yes
    Shorten dictionary entry not found message: yes
    Cyrillic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2): yes
    Always show confirmation dialog before upgrading: yes
    Remove recommendations (row1col2) from home screen: yes
    Never show Kobo Plus, wishlist, and points SmartLinks: yes
    Allow rotation on all devices: yes
    Don't uppercase header/footer text: yes
    Customize ComfortLight settings: yes
    FeatureSettings - BookSpecificStats: yes
    Unify font sizes: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:

files:
    src/Avenir.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir.ttf
    src/Avenir-Bold.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Bold.ttf
    src/Avenir-Italic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-Italic.ttf
    src/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf: usr/local/Trolltech/QtEmbedded-4.6.2-arm/lib/fonts/Avenir-BoldItalic.ttf
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:08 AM   #11
Vetchy
Connoisseur

@jackie_w — can I ask you for check one of your beatifule patches: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=4
I was try to apply it by kobopatch.yaml and un-comment next row
Code:
- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir;"}
And I replace built-in Avenir font in firmware to new version with cyrillic support.
P.S. I was try replace to RakutenSansUIApp-Regular — but hasn't effect too
P.P.S. Replaced to Georgia — works fine.

But main question is why not applied new version of Avenir. Where it used I have got double space between characters.

Last edited by Vetchy; 01-20-2023 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:54 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetchy View Post
@jackie_w — can I ask you for check one of your beatifule patches: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...75&postcount=4
I was try to apply it by kobopatch.yaml and un-comment next row
Code:
- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir;"}
And I replace built-in Avenir font in firmware to new version with cyrillic support.
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, can you elaborate?

That link is a very old iteration of one of the nickel patches. The one for firmware 4.35.20400 is Custom header/footer captions. However most of the ability to use a sideloaded custom font in the GUI disappeared in fw 4.32.19501.

As far as I know it's still possible to completely replace the built-in system font files for 'Avenir Next' with a set for a font of your choice, as long as the internal and external filenames of the replacements are also set to 'Avenir Next'. I do this myself by using a renamed Calibri font and it still seems to work OK in the current firmware. If this is what you are doing and it's not working for you I would need to see your replacement Avenir fonts so I can test them myself. A link in a PM would be best. Also, what are you seeing to make you think your new font is no longer working?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 02:07 PM   #13
Vetchy
Connoisseur

Jackie_w was helped me again. The issue was in internal font name. My Avenir font contain Cyr suffix and it broke replacing. After change font name by Font Forge all works fine.
Jackie_w — Rakuten must pay you salary
Old 01-22-2023, 08:09 AM   #14
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I looked at the nickel.yaml to tweak the patch for Reduce new header/footer height: and noticed there was not an entry for the Clara 2e. Will adjusting the entry for the Clara HD (Dragon) work on the 2e?

Since the firmware download is different, I don't know if it is considered Dragon.
Thanks!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 11:47 AM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I looked at the nickel.yaml to tweak the patch for Reduce new header/footer height: and noticed there was not an entry for the Clara 2e. Will adjusting the entry for the Clara HD (Dragon) work on the 2e?

Since the firmware download is different, I don't know if it is considered Dragon.
Thanks!
Yes, wherever you see the ClaraHD label in a nickel.yaml patch, assume you should use this setting for the Clara2E.

Just FYI, the Clara2E is actually code-named 'Goldfinch' and the ClaraHD is 'Nova', but nickel sometimes uses 'Dragon' (AuraHD) settings for all 6 Kobo models which share the same 1080x1440 screen resolution size.

The missing Clara2E labels in .yaml files are an oversight which I'll try to fix before the next kobopatch release. Thanks for pointing it out.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching