Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Lightbulb Free your Kindle 3

All credits go to the respective uploaders. I've just compiled into a comprehensive guide.

First off, read this whole post. Including all the spoilers before you attempt anything.
Also, read all the linked posts before attempting that hack.

I followed these steps to customize the Kindle 3G SO (US) [B006] version today itself (Firmware v3.2.1). For the whole thing, I used Windows7 32bit and my home WiFi router.

The necessary step-
Jailbreak
  1. Completely empty your Kindle. i.e. Backup and delete all books, music, pictures, etc. (deleting is not a must, some people just rename the folder to 'documents.bak' and carry on)
  2. Disable 'Wireless'
  3. Apply Yifan Lu's jailbreak for 3.2.1 from here. (via)
  4. In my case the update filename was update_jailbreak_0.5_k3g_install.bin
  5. If the jailbreak is successful, you'll see a '✓' just after the update. After which it automatically restarts.

All the following steps/hacks are optional depending on what you want-
Remove/Disable Ads (In home screen, screensavers as well as remove 'View Special Offers' from menu)
1. Jailbreak your Kindle. (steps above)
2. Download USBNetwork Hack. i.e. download 'kindle-usbnetwork-0.33.N.zip' from this post.
3. Follow the instructions here.
Quote:
Note: the step 11 here says - On Kindle, type:
Code:
;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
For this, in your home screen, press 'Del' then type the above command then 'return key' for each command
Quote:
Also, to know your Kindle's connected IP (WiFi) type: Alt + UUQ (i.e. 711)
4. Once you are successfully connected into your Kindle with PuTTY and WinSCP (both simultaneously is also ok), now start the actual ad 'removal' process.
5. In PuTTY, after login, enter these commands one by one:
Code:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
touch /var/local/adunits
/etc/init.d/framework start
This should effectively remove all ads. If your Kindle sleeps now, it'll show screensavers from the random pool of author etc. photos like a normal Kindle.

Note: to reverse the process and bring the ads back-
Spoiler:
Code:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
rm /var/local/adunits
mv /var/local/adunits.bkp /var/local/adunits

6. Your Kindle is now effectively a normal non-SO Kindle now.
You can install the custom SS hack etc too for enhanced customization.

Install custom screensavers
Follow instructions in this post.
For a collection of screensavers try this blog.

Other hacks like custom fonts etc can be found from this great sticky post and this post.

Other obscure hacks like tethering Kindle's 3G over to other devices are possible. But abhorred by many veteran MobileRead users, unethical and impractical.

Coming soon: An updated guide to completely free your new jailbroken Kindle from Amazon's clutches. (aka disable 'phoning home' etc.)

NOTE: what ever you find on these pages, is dangerous, can easy harm your device, accidents happen, and when trouble strikes - you are mostly on your own.

I would like to give a hearty to: Yifan Lu, NiLuJe, badbob001, Derek1987, volwrath, velocium

Attached- The collection of 'Don't Panic' screensavers that cycle on my Kindle. As, for all intents and purposes, Kindle3G is the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Don%2527t%2BPanic%2BAnd%2BThumb.png
Views:	1365
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	75447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Don%2527t%2BPanic.png
Views:	722
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	75448   Click image for larger version

Name:	dont-panic-and-carry-a-towel.png
Views:	904
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	75449   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_lggg695nDL1qcxjs1.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	75450  
MyPreciousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
toastofchaos
toastofchaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3SO
I, for one, and really surprised this thread hasn't received a lot more action. I am eager to get rid of my ads and I was wondering if you could give me a little bit of assistance connecting to my Kindle 3/3G SO with PuTTY.

I created the SSH-2 key, put it in authorized keys within the usbnetwork directory in /etc. Authorized keys is a file, not a text file (I deleted the file extension). I created a private putty key with a passphrase (not sure if I need passphrase). I enabled ~usbNetwork after ;debugOn and then turned -debugOff. I tried to connect and it wouldn't work. It just occurred to me that I can check the connection guide you posted to help with puTTY connection problems. I'll go try that.
toastofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
MyPreciousss
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

My thread was aimed to do just that. To post all the relevant links and the helpful tidbits that are not there (nor are obvious =) )

do let me know how your jb progresses.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
ovaldisk
Connoisseur
ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.ovaldisk is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for this thread.

A few questions:

(1) will this disable 3G access on my KSO 3G?

(2) what if I want the ads(special offers) back at a later time?

(3) can Amazon's server see what I've done?

Thanks!
ovaldisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
MyPreciousss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovaldisk View Post
Thanks for this thread.

A few questions:

(1) will this disable 3G access on my KSO 3G?

(2) what if I want the ads(special offers) back at a later time?

(3) can Amazon's server see what I've done?
(1) No. 3G is same as before.

(2) I have included those instructions above as well. (look at the 'spoiler')

(3) I suppose so . Hence the next hack is to disable these bigbrother features (I'll write such a tutorial soon)
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
MyPreciousss

Lightbulb This is exxyea's post

This is exxyea's post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=66
:-

I'm writing this guide since I just spent hours of frustration trying to figure out exactly how to remove the ads on my KSO. This is just a step-by-step guide for other complete noobs like me who know no programming, hacking, etc. I'm just synthesizing all the different guides here into one long, easy-to-follow (hopefully!) instruction manual.

I used Windows and did this on a Kindle 3 Wifi.

You will need:
- Yifan Lu's Kindle 3.1.2 Jailbreak [Guide] [Download zip]
- USBNet Hack [Guide] [Download zip]
- PuTTY [Download Page]- PuTTYgen --> key generator
- PuTTY --> for shell access
4 Parts:
1. Jailbreak using Yifan Lu's hack
2. Install USBNet Hack on your Kindle
3. SSH Key Access
4. Run Commands

1. Jailbreak using Yifan Lu's hack
- Yifan Lu's hack doesn't always succeed, so it may require several restarts and attempts.
- However, you can increase your chance of success at jailbreaking if you do this beforehand: - Rename your documents and system folder to "documents.bak" and "system.bak". Once you've successfully jailbroken your device, you can rename them back.
- Turn Wireless Off.
1. Press Menu -> Settings, so you're at the Settings page.
2. Once there, press Menu -> Restart.
3. While Kindle is still restarting, connect the Kindle to the computer using the USB cable.
4. As soon as your computer reads your Kindle, quickly copy the appropriate file to your Kindle's root directory.
ie. Kindle 3 Wifi = k3w
5. Eject your Kindle.
6. Press Menu -> Settings to go to the Settings page.
7. Select Update Your Kindle.
8. Your Kindle will update. You will see a checkmark if your jailbreak was successful. If not, then try again by restarting.

2. Install USBNet Hack on your Kindle
1. Connect your Kindle to the computer.
2. Copy the appropriate file from the USBNet Hack zip to your Kindle root directory.
3. Eject your Kindle.
4. Press Menu -> Settings to go to the Settings page.
5. Select Update Your Kindle.
6. Your Kindle will then update with the hack unless you did not jailbreak successfully.

3. Prepare for SSH Key Access
1. Connect your Kindle. There should now be a usbnet folder in your root directory.
2. Go to usbnet\etc\.
3. In the etc folder, open and edit the config file with a Notepad. Change these parts to:K3_WIFI="true"
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true"
4. Open PuTTYgen, the key generator.
5. With SSH-2 RSA selected, click Generate. Move your mouse around the blank area to generate a code.
6. Make and confirm a passphrase.
7. Click Save public key to your computer as the file "authorized_keys" with no extension. You can also copy the generated code yourself, paste it to a Notepad, save, and then change the extension from ".txt" to no extension.
8. Click Save private key to your computer as any file name with the extension ".ppk".
9. Copy your "authorized_keys" file from your computer to your Kindle under usbnet\etc\.
10. Disconnect your Kindle.
11. Make sure your Kindle's Wifi is turned on and you are connected to a network. (You should also be registered or else you'll have to .)
12. In the Home page on your Kindle, press Del and then type these lines one after the other:;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
13. Open up PuTTY for shell access.
14. Put in your Kindle's IP Address under Session.- The simplest way to view your Kindle's IP address is to go to the Settings page (click Menu -> Settings). Once there, hold down ALT and press UGG (711) to get to the 711 page.
14. On the left sidebar, go to Connections -> SSH -> Auth. In the box under Private key for authentication, select your saved private key file (the one with the extension ".ppk")
15. Click Open.

4. Run Commands
A black window should pop up once you connect. If you get network error: connection refused, I would reconnect my Kindle and regenerate some new keys.
1. When login appears, type "root".
2. Then type your pass code. (The first few times I didn't use a passcode, but it still prompted me for one, so I just regenerated new keys.)
3. Once you're in, it should say you need to change the file to rewritable. Type "mntroot rw".
4. Then type these commands one line after the other:/etc/init.d/framework stop
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
touch /var/local/adunits
Your Kindle should automatically turn off and reboot during this process.
5. When your Kindle is rebooted, type "mntroot ro". Then you can close PuTTY.

Your Kindle should now be rebooted with no ads or banners

hope this helps the above guide.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Brilliant. T H A N K Y O U and everyone else who made this happen. My own K3 Wifi will be delighted with the results [when I have time to go through the process].

EDIT: Though of course, as always with this kinda stuff, caveat emptor IMO.

cheers,
-les

Last edited by lestatar; 08-15-2011 at 10:02 AM.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
I'm assuming that there isn't a way to have custom screensavers/remove ads but still keep the ability to request the special offers?
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I'm assuming that there isn't a way to have custom screensavers/remove ads but still keep the ability to request the special offers?
Probably falls under the, "having your cake and eating it too" axiom.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
MyPreciousss

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Probably falls under the, "having your cake and eating it too" axiom.
Actually, there is. I've read it somewhere in some long forum post.
I'll try and find it. All we need to do is to keep the 'View Special Offers' menu whilst making the screensavers folder open. If nothing, you can anyways use USBNetwork to add your screensavers in the pool.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
Some time ago there was a post with a .bat file that streamlined the process of getting the JB file to the kindle - it kept trying to access the kindle drive until it succeeded, then immediately copied the file. It would be nice to add that to the guide I think.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 AM   #12
MyPreciousss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
Some time ago there was a post with a .bat file that streamlined the process of getting the JB file to the kindle - it kept trying to access the kindle drive until it succeeded, then immediately copied the file.
I never faced a problem with the timing.
Though it's a nice idea. If you find that .bat shell script, then do post it here.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
ChocolateThunder
ChocolateThunder began at the beginning.

editing the config file

3. Prepare for SSH Key Access
1. Connect your Kindle. There should now be a usbnet folder in your root directory.
2. Go to usbnet\etc\.
3. In the etc folder, open and edit the config file with a Notepad. Change these parts to:K3_WIFI="true"
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true"

do i delete everything in the file and only post those two lines in the config file or do i leave ? thanks! the tutorial is fantastic. you give noobs a chance.

what do i do with?
#!/bin/sh## $Id: config 6984 2010-10-18 04:28:22Z
ChocolateThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
MyPreciousss

don't delete everything. There will already be lines like 'K3_WIFI'.... Find them and give them the value (eg. 'True').
If you can't find the file, add these lines.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #15
ChocolateThunder
ChocolateThunder began at the beginning.

thanks MP. my config file only had #!/bin/sh## $Id: config 6984 2010-10-18 04:28:22Z followed by the author's name & explanation that some line must end in ## or it could get kinda bad really quick. i saw K3_WIFI but it was in context of a sentence in the narrative. so i'll leave the above line and the narrative and then add the other two lines underneath it & let you know how it goes by Monday. I'm using my work PC since my Mac aint seeing all the files & runs a bit different.
ChocolateThunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak 3.2.1, kindle 3, kindle special offers, screensavers