Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #31
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
About time for a new release ... I'm going to play around with this firmware tonight and see if I can find anything interesting (other than the fixed bugs and the features).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo Firmware 4.8.10956

Kobo firmware 4.8.10956 has been released...
Dangit, my bot which was supposed to automatically post new firmware versions failed to login, so it missed this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
I think they want to push their own format so kepub it is.
You can use kepubify or the Calibre kepub output plugin to convert books to kepub.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 12:06 PM   #32
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
About time for a new release ... I'm going to play around with this firmware tonight and see if I can find anything interesting (other than the fixed bugs and the features).

Dangit, my bot which was supposed to automatically post new firmware versions failed to login, so it missed this release.

You can use kepubify or the Calibre kepub output plugin to convert books to kepub.
I'm assuming that owners of Kobo H2O Edition 2 are still being advised not to update?

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 12:28 PM   #33
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
I'm assuming that owners of Kobo H2O Edition 2 are still being advised not to update?

Jim
Yes AFAIK if you have a ed2v2. Davidfor may know more.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #34
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The changes that I know of in this firmware are:...
  • Changing the page display option at the bottom of the screen has changed from a long press to a tap...
What I see on my One is that both a tap and a long press will rotate the page display option, so the only way to get the bottom page menu is to hit the top of the screen. I miss the former way but I guess I'll get used to it.

Also there is practically no margin left between the bottom of the page (with chapter name - I only read kepubs) and the border. I miss that more: the page looks much less "elegant" to my eyes, I prefer a decent margin all around, and what's more it looks unbalanced now that only the bottom is marginless.

EDIT: I updated the Glo HD too, and looked at it before patches. There is the margin at the bottom (though the long press behavior is still as described above) and it disappeared after I applied the patches.
So I moved the description of that part of the problem to the instructions for patching the F/W thread.

Last edited by anacreon; 04-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 PM   #35
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So far I'm quite pleased with this new firmware. The new quick page-turn is very useful. Furthermore, text selection really has been noticeably improved, for the first time since I've started using Kobo devices. I'm fine with Kobo going silent for a few months, if they end up releasing finished software like this.

That said, I did have all my reading progress erased during the upgrade... My books are stored on the SD card. Right after the upgrade, the SD card was for some reason dismounted despite still being inserted, and upon removing and reinserting it, everything got re-imported as new books. Good thing there wasn't much to erase or I'd be pretty angry.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 04-24-2018 at 03:17 PM.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I would say yes, but obviously it's subjective. Go to the main patching thread for fw 4.8.10956 and read post #1 to see what you think.
It doesn't look hard, it's just the sheer number of choices that's a bit overwhelming when first looking in. But the documentation in the remarks seems clear and easy to follow. Are the oren64 patches cut and pasted to the other patches, or are they just copied into the /source directory "as are" – as their own thing?

Also, out of curiosity, on the firmware download page there's a tab for "affiliates" which show different versions of the firmware. Are these the current lowest versions that will trigger an over the air update? For example, my Kobo Touch A/B shows "Kobo" as my affiliate (upper case "K") does that mean that, if I'm using version 4.5.9587 of the firmware (which I am), that it won't automatically trigger an OTA update at this time? And, since "beta" and "bestbuyca" both show the newest firmware, would changing my affiliate to one of these trigger the update with a sync (I assume uppercase/lowercase means nothing here)? And one last question ... if I inserted a non-existent affiliate name, like "rcentrosNOupdate," would that keep my Kobo from ever doing an OTA update? (I'm thinking of patching the other Touch now, which I'm keeping at 3.19.x and would like to be able to sync my books w/o worrying about an automatic update.)

Sorry for so many questions. Some of these patches look well worth the effort, however. BTW, thanks to those keep these updated. This looks like an incredible amount of work.

EDIT: Well, one question answered. I changed my affiliate to "Beta" and a Sync immediately started an update download.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-24-2018 at 04:23 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:46 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well ... that's not good. First book, a KePub one, worked great on the updated Kobo Touch. I like the new features. Then I tried it on one of my sideloaded books. A blank screen – and that's it. If I tap the bottom I get a percentage of the book read. Tap the top and I get the normal top and bottom icons. Tap the double arrow and go Table of Contents, I actually do get the Table of Contents. But if I select a chapter, I'm back at a blank page. Now a bottom tap produces nothing? Tap on the top tab, trying to navigate via the right and left arrow, and I'm kicked out of the book.

Looks like the patches are not only a nice idea, but probably a necessity. I'm going to try reloading the book via Calibre and see what happens.

EDIT: Nope, reloading the book didn't change anything. I also notice that if I swipe forward or backward while on a blank page I'm kicked out of the book. This must be the "Publisher Font" error mentioned earlier in the thread.

EDIT 2: Even changing the font to one of the built-in fonts doesn't seem to do any good. Now trying a restart to see if that changes anything.

EDIT 3: Nope, no good. A new book loaded, same result. At this point (without patches) the new firmware does NOT work with ePubs on my Kobo Touch (B). KePub books seem to work fine.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-24-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #38
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Are the oren64 patches cut and pasted to the other patches, or are they just copied into the /source directory "as are" – as their own thing?
You paste them into the end of the relevant file.

Quote:
Also, out of curiosity, on the firmware download page there's a tab for "affiliates" which show different versions of the firmware. Are these the current lowest versions that will trigger an over the air update? For example, my Kobo Touch A/B shows "Kobo" as my affiliate (upper case "K") does that mean that, if I'm using version 4.5.9587 of the firmware (which I am), that it won't automatically trigger an OTA update at this time? And, since "beta" and "bestbuyca" both show the newest firmware, would changing my affiliate to one of these trigger the update with a sync (I assume uppercase/lowercase means nothing here)?
Yes, you are correct. Kobo does do staged rollouts though, so the others will most likely get the update sooner or later.

Quote:
And one last question ... if I inserted a non-existent affiliate name, like "rcentrosNOupdate," would that keep my Kobo from ever doing an OTA update?
Yes, but you won't be able to sync either and will get an error every time.

Quote:
Sorry for so many questions. Some of these patches look well worth the effort, however. BTW, thanks to those keep these updated. This looks like an incredible amount of work.
No problem! Everyone has to start somewhere. As for the patches, it's not that much work once you find them to begin with. The large patches oren64 has are actually generated, as they modify the CSS (which is compressed).
Old 04-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #39
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
EDIT 3: Nope, no good. A new book loaded, same result. At this point (without patches) the new firmware does NOT work with ePubs on my Kobo Touch (B). KePub books seem to work fine.
Can you PM me one of the ebooks which does not work so I can have a look?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Can you PM me one of the ebooks which does not work so I can have a look?
Sure. But, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like I have the option to attach files to a PM (which is weird since I can attach files to a public message).
Old 04-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #41
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Sure. But, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like I have the option to attach files to a PM (which is weird since I can attach files to a public message).
You'll need to upload it to a file sharing site.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
You should only update if there is firmware available for you to update to. The Aura H2O Edition 2 comes in two versions. There is an update for the first version. As far as I can tell, the update for the second version hasn't been released. You can tell the difference between the versions based on the serial number. I posted the details in a thread a few weeks ago.

If you are not sure which you have, don't do the manual update. Change the affiliate on the device to one that is getting the update and try to sync. Either you will get an update, or not. This is the safest thing to do and closest to being supported by Kobo.

Quote:
Yes AFAIK if you have a ed2v2. Davidfor may know more.
This should be going to everything except the Mini. But, I don't see a release for the second version of the Edition 2 devices. My only guess is that this is sharing an update package with the Clara HD and they are waiting until the official announcement or release to make the update available.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #43
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
If you are not sure which you have, don't do the manual update. Change the affiliate on the device to one that is getting the update and try to sync. Either you will get an update, or not. This is the safest thing to do and closest to being supported by Kobo.
That's actually a great idea.

Quote:
This should be going to everything except the Mini. But, I don't see a release for the second version of the Edition 2 devices. My only guess is that this is sharing an update package with the Clara HD and they are waiting until the official announcement or release to make the update available.
Sounds good.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:38 PM   #44
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
You should only update if there is firmware available for you to update to. The Aura H2O Edition 2 comes in two versions. There is an update for the first version. As far as I can tell, the update for the second version hasn't been released. You can tell the difference between the versions based on the serial number. I posted the details in a thread a few weeks ago.
I'm embarrassed to ask this, but will ask anyway. In those details you posted, you talk about "digits." Does that include all characters, including letters of the alphabet as well as numbers? If I count all characters, my 7th digit is a 2, but if I count only numbers, it's 0.

I didn't understand any of your second paragraph, so will not attempt to update. It would be helpful to know, though, for future reference, which version of the H2O I have.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #45
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Fast page flip incompatible with full page reading

I do like new fast fast page flipping.. However, combined with full page reading option, (disabled by default unless you edit the kobo config file.), it makes selecting a word at the bottom of the page .... interesting.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote