Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2018, 02:57 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I never liked television, even when I was young. I'm not saying I haven't got into certain shows over the years, but it's been a long while. I couldn't even tell you what's popular now. I don't like the process of watching television and I hate the noise. That's me, but I'll admit when I see people say they have no time to read, I think of all the screen time they probably put in and think they could find some time if they wanted. As you implied, it's about priorities and inclination. In the evening, I'd always rather read.
What about baseball?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #17
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That was me some 10 and more years ago. I basically did nothing else in my free time but read. But these days I find I want to do other things too, not only read books every moment I can. So what if I read less books now than I did before? Reading should be a pleasure, not a contest who reads more. That's how I justify myself, anyway. I admit feeling a bit guilty sometimes that I don't read as much anymore. Life is just too short...
And I often feel a bit guilty because I'm so busy reading and often fail to do other things that I'd like or should be doing.

Reading is my default activity, if I'm awake and not doing something incompatible with reading then I'm reading something.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am retired, and I read every night before bed. Scared myself so much last night, I had to make myself put the book away and try and sleep. (Prey by Michael Crichton)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Do you have time to eat, talk to significant other, or see friends?
I probably do spend too much time on youtube; I don't have a tv, but watch favourite programmes online. I'm more selective this way.
Time to eat? Yes and also the time to cook the meals at home as I like to cook and my wife doesn't. Talk to her and see friends? Yes. Watch Youtube? Rarely. Watch TV? A few shows and some sports (hockey, CFL football, rugby, etc.). When watching TV, I'll read during commercial and game breaks (period break, halftime, whatever).

Since it takes me 60 to 100 minutes to read the average novel (and I mean a novel, not the novella length being sold by too many authors as novels), I do go through quite a few books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What about baseball?
Not living in the Yankees' market means almost no opportunity to watch them play absent a pricey cable package which is against my religion. Even when they play the locals, it's mostly carried by a cable channel which is not part of my as-basic-as-you-can-get lineup - which I have only because it comes to the same as internet only.

But you've got me. If I won the lottery, I'd probably stump up for the necessary during the baseball season.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What about baseball?
As a cure for insomnia?

Quote:
Not living in the Yankees' market means almost no opportunity to watch them play absent a pricey cable package which is against my religion.
My opinion of the Yankees tends to run to the joke about George Steinbrenner being outside Yankee stadium when a vendor asked if he wanted to buy a pennant. Steinbrenner's response was "No thanks, I already bought one."

Last edited by DNSB; 04-23-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #22
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Every spare moment. I always have a book with me. Always. If I have a minute anywhere, I read.

Shari
Same. I never leave home without an e-reader.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But you've got me. If I won the lottery, I'd probably stump up for the necessary during the baseball season.
I found I can read and "watch" baseball at the same time. With the volume sufficiently low, the crowd noise level lets me know when I might need to tune in.

If King can read books AT the ballpark, I figure I can do the same at home.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #24
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Quote:
Not living in the Yankees' market means almost no opportunity to watch them play absent a pricey cable package which is against my religion. Even when they play the locals, it's mostly carried by a cable channel which is not part of my as-basic-as-you-can-get lineup - which I have only because it comes to the same as internet only.

Thank you.

I got rather nasty response from the cable company when they first wanted to install to house. Told them all I wanted was Yankees Baseball. Didn't want Starz, HBO, and various other things, just baseball. The idiot on the phone told me I was "unAmerican" They did not get permission to install line to house. We still are not hooked up over 40 years later.

Fast forward - I can now subscribe to MLB on the Roku, get At Bat for tablet and phone free and watch whatever teams I'm interested in - without any movie channels in the way. We have wired DSL, it's fast enough. Now I want the Golf Channel for the other half so he can watch the majors he is interested in. Neither one of us cares whether or not it's HD as long as we can see the picture, or in my case, hear the announcer call balls and strikes.

Fighting to get service does depend on what type of policies the city you live in follows. Northern Colorado is fighting to and installing city internet systems, I don't think our city will follow suit.

I do watch games and read at the same time - or I will be pursuing another hobby while watching a game. There is always instant replay. I also don't mind the game being a day late and a dollar short. At least I can watch it after the fact.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:

You're lucky to not be in your team's market - that means you can get in on the cheap MLB.tv deals that come up every once in a while.

I got a "rest of year" subscription last year at the end of June for $10 that let me watch any game that didn't include my "in market" team. Of course, the "in market" team is the only one I really want to watch so I was out of luck but you would be good to go unless they were playing a local team.

You can also get a fairly cheap ($20/yr) audio only subscription at any time to listen to any team too if you want (no blackouts). Again, good for out of market teams that wouldn't otherwise be on the radio.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #26
LittleRach
LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.LittleRach got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I work full time, have kids and pets, and read probably an average of 2 books a week.

Usually if I get really into something, I’ll read it in a couple of nights. But things I’m less keen on can take months in between reading other stuff.

I do find I read faster on my kobo than paper books though. Not sure why this would be.
LittleRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #27
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
No sleep, no TV, no social life.

I tend to binge stuff though. There are weeks I'd binge read. Others, I spend binge watching instead.
I can't believe I'm the first to say this....but you can get a lot of reading done if you're an indifferent housekeeper.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #28
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
When I'm reading, I'm also listening to an audio book and watch a movie adaptation of yet another, different book, and I count all of them
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #29
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Baseball, yes; Yankees, no. Let's Go Mets!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
How do I read so many books? Open book, start with the first word and continue to the last one.

I read fairly fast, but I do not speed read. I wouldn't even know how to do that. Its part of the reason I can't do audiobooks, they are just too slow for me and I can't speed up the voice as it then sounds un natural and just doesn't work. There is a huge difference for me in reading faster than using my ears to listen. I can't explain it, but there it is.

I still have time for other stuff, work, home, etc. But I do mostly read as far as my hobby goes. I also read when I am just sitting having breakfast, or take a lunch. Instead of staring into space with strangers, I read. Whenever I find a few minutes, I read. On weekends I can manage hours at a time in a block which is nice.

Very often I will read while my husband watches a show after dinner. So thats another 45 minutes right there. Takes me about 2-5 or so hours to read a full length book. Depends on stuff.

I think its just a matter of what else one has going on. What other hobbies there are, etc.

Its not a competition, there isn't a gold star at the end of life for reading the most books. I just want to read as many as I can because I love reading stories. And I just want to know what else there is. So I want to read all the books. .
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookworm, reading lots