Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Question 4GB internal memory: how much for books?

I read somewhere on the forum that the available memoryspace for books on the Kindle is 4-1= 3 GB.
Does anyone know the exact memory? I've loaded my Kindle with 2100 books, some audiobooks(long ones) and 6 wordgames= 3,09 GB. How much is left for me, I wonder, before I have to throw my audiobooks/games out?
Positive about this: the Kindle keeps working happily away, at the same speed as it did before it was almost full.

Last edited by desertblues; 10-05-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: and some music as well
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
it is just over 3 gigs for your storage.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
it is just over 3 gigs for your storage.
So I'm almost past the critical point; what will happen; will my Kindle just slow down, or will it give me a warning: enough is enough?
Old 10-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It will tell you that you don't have enough memory for the new book (or whatever).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment

Thanks; in the dustbin with my music and audiobooks
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
When I mount my K3 under Windows and right-click on the drive icon to view Properties, it lists the volume capacity as 3.05gig (3,279,044,608 bytes).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
If you press Menu from the home screen, it will show exactly how much remaining space you have in the top left hand corner of the screen.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
You can copy files to the computer through USB. Then you can delete whatever you're not using right now without losing it permanently. Also, whatever you bought from Amazon should be available for redownload if you want it back later
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 AM   #9
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
When I mount my K3 under Windows and right-click on the drive icon to view Properties, it lists the volume capacity as 3.05gig (3,279,044,608 bytes).
I am still a bit confused and intrigued.
When I look at the properties of the Kindle on my Macbook , I have:
Capacity 3,24 GB, Available 1,36 GB, Used 1,88 GB ( about 2000 books).
That is the count since yesterday (when I had 3,09GB), I deleted a few audiobooks and home-made PDF's.
Is my total memory for books 3,24 GB out of the 4 GB then?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
4GB = ~1GB operating system (User cant use) + leftover for actual use.

So, you have a total of 3.24GB of memory that you can use...
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I am still a bit confused and intrigued.
When I look at the properties of the Kindle on my Macbook , I have:
Capacity 3,24 GB, ...
The two OSs are using different definitions of GB. Windows XP uses the classic definition based on the powers of 2 (1kb=1024 bytes, ...) and the current MacOSs use the "modern" (read: inflated) definition based on powers of 10 (1kb=1000 bytes). Hence Win translates 3,279,044,608 bytes as 3.05gb and Mac translates is as 3.24gb.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
The two OSs are using different definitions of GB. Windows XP uses the classic definition based on the powers of 2 (1kb=1024 bytes, ...) and the current MacOSs use the "modern" (read: inflated) definition based on powers of 10 (1kb=1000 bytes). Hence Win translates 3,279,044,608 bytes as 3.05gb and Mac translates is as 3.24gb.
Dwig and Hellraiser06; thank you both for the explanation.
So Windows is more accurate: didn't know that about the MacBook.
And the good news is that I' ve close to 1500 books left to load on my Kindle, that will last me some years.
And it makes 2000+ 1500 =Amazon's claim of 3500 books to be true!

Tags
memory