Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #376
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
I guess most of my griping about the price of an old series is that I almost certainly have them in DTB, so it's really hard to justify $7.99 each just to get them in e-book. And many of these books, I also probably have a PDF that I have scanned in, so even harder to justify the price just to get a nicer e-book version. So for me, I'm happy to see the e-book, but frustrated that it's not priced reasonably enough for me to get it.

And I'm not even sure it's good for the publisher...

If these were priced at $2.99 or $3.99, I'd end up buying them all over time. At $1.99 each, I'd probably buy them all at once. But at $7.99, I will never buy them, so they'll get nothing from me.

Maybe there are enough people who don't have in DTB, or are willing to pay that sort of price for "upgrade" to e-book, so that $7.99 on the demand curve maximizes profit for the publisher, but I just have a tough time believing it...

I feel very similarly. I recently, as in yesterday, discovered that an author a friend got me interested in a while back has some of her backlist out as ebook now. They are priced at either $8.99 or $7.99, forget which, but it's just too much, as I have the paper books on the shelf. At $2.99 or even $3.99, I'd be much more likely to go for the ebooks.

Now, if the ebooks had the same covers and illustrations, which in many cases, there is really no reason they shouldn't have them since the author illustrated a goodly number of her own books, I'd be saving for them and happy to do so. But most are showing generic type covers, and no indication they contain illustrations, so, no. You want my dime, give me the artwork.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #377
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I picked up The One and Future King for $1.99, thanks to the discount forums here.

I should watch those more religiously, but it's hard finding the time, so I do miss out on some good deals, often not seeing them until they no longer apply. I'd sure have bought that title at $1.99 myself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:52 AM   #378
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I should watch those more religiously, but it's hard finding the time, so I do miss out on some good deals, often not seeing them until they no longer apply. I'd sure have bought that title at $1.99 myself!
I strongly recommend http://ereaderiq.com/ as a way of keeping on eye on books you'd buy if they were on special offer.

I have around 250 books lists there....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #379
gravity_
gravity_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad 9.7-inch
All of the books that I am interested in have ebook versions, I guess I've been lucky
gravity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #380
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I strongly recommend http://ereaderiq.com/ as a way of keeping on eye on books you'd buy if they were on special offer.

I have around 250 books lists there....
I use ereaderiq as well, but then there's bound to be books I forgot to track. Then they pop up in the forums here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #381
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Much appreciated. Its a good site.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #382
tamil96
tamil96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for your Suggestion.
tamil96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #383
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
The Judy Bolton series of books. I can't remember if they came before or after Nancy drew, but they have a similar theme, being that the main protagonist is a girl detective. My grandmother owned a set, and passed them on to my Mom. Which was how I was able to read them, but they're no longer in print which is why I doubt they'll be made into eBooks.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:00 PM   #384
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
The Judy Bolton series of books. I can't remember if they came before or after Nancy drew, but they have a similar theme, being that the main protagonist is a girl detective. My grandmother owned a set, and passed them on to my Mom. Which was how I was able to read them, but they're no longer in print which is why I doubt they'll be made into eBooks.
A few are on Gutenberg...
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/44495
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #385
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Those ones are also on Amazon.com.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #386
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
The Little Broomstick by Mary Stewart is now available for the UK/AUS etc region! So happy! One of my favourite childhood books

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...pup_yes_alc_T2
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:35 AM   #387
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years

I'm not holding my breath for that as an ebook (I would certainly asphyxiate), but I am holding on to my dead tree version with the disintegrating pages...
If you are still here and still hunting, page copied books are available on internet archive.org. site
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #388
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post
If you are still here and still hunting, page copied books are available on internet archive.org. site
Unless Congress passes another bill to extend copyright, Carl Sandburg's Abraham Lincoln: The Prairie Years will become public domain in 2022, and will probably start showing up as an ebook within a year or two after that. It should be interesting to see if new additions to the public domain in the US next year will renew interest in volunteering at Distributed Proofreaders.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #389
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
Patricia Leitch Pony Books

For those of you who (like me ) enjoy vintage British “pony books,” Jane Badger Books has gotten the rights to republish some of Patricia Leitch’s books.

They can be pre-ordered for Kindle here (and will also be available on KU):

Dream of Fair Horses
https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Fair-Ho.../dp/B07PW7VFSW

The Horse From Black Loch
https://www.amazon.com/Horse-Black-L.../dp/B07PXCRKPK

Last edited by dandelioncottage; 03-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:53 AM   #390
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
This is a somewhat older thread, but the subject still crops up for me. Recently, on a different board, the subject of war movies came up. Two of the movies mentioned, Von Ryan's Express and The Great Escape where based on books written back before personal computer and like many books from that era aren't readily available as ebooks.

Von Ryan's Express, a 1965 Frank Sinatra movie, was based on the David Westheimer book by the same name. I read the book way back when I was a teen/young adult and still went to libraries. The book is out of print, though you can buy used copies on the internet. The last edition that I saw mentioned was 1977. Oddly enough, there is an ebook version on B&N nook, the Rosetta Books edition, but it's no longer sold at Amazon or Roku. I'm not sure what the deal is there. Westheimer died in 2005. He wrote a sequel called Von Ryan's Return. I vaguely remember reading it, but it's been a very long time. Of course, since one can no longer download books from B&N, buying it there is like throwing your money away, especially since the future of the nook bookstore is very much in question. I do understand there are work around methods, i.e. there is a screen scrapper app that will scan in the nook book by reading it in the web browser.

The Great Escape was loosely based on the Paul Brickhill book by the same name. I've got the audiobook, but as far as I know, the book itself has never come out as an ebook. Brickhill also wrote the Dambusters, also made into a movie.

Oddly enough, both writers have living children so they aren't really orphaned works from the stand point of not knowing who holds the copyright, rather it just seems to be the case that they just aren't that interested in making the books available. If copyright really was property, this is a case where the property would be declared abandoned and put up for auction.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote