Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #2746
bluen
Enthusiast
bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@bluen: Huh.

Well, then, your best bet is to extract the files in question from a full 3.3 rootfs backup or go the long way and do a full flash (cf. the debricking thread/k3flasher).
Im thinking full debricking as I am not sure if that is the only issue or if there are multiple problems. Were you able to download the original log from the link I pmed you and if so, did you see any other issues?
bluen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #2747
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bluen: Yeah, but as the update process stops on the first error, there's not much more to see .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #2748
bluen
Enthusiast
bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.

Quote:

Well, then, your best bet is to extract the files in question from a full 3.3 rootfs backup or go the long way and do a full flash (cf. the debricking thread/k3flasher).
Grr can't do debricker as can't run the ATK tool in vmware and get the USB drivers to install. I would need a tool for the mac.

What files would I need and how would I be able to get a 3.3 rootfs backup and extract?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #2749
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
You could try booting Linux on your mac from a DVD or flash drive, Then use k3flasher.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #2750
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also a strong possibility that k3flasher will build & run correctly on OS X (provided you use libusbx, its OS X support is potentially slightly less buggy than libusb's).
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #2751
bluen
Enthusiast

I hear you. I looked at the K3 flasher thread and it is a little above my Linux pay grade although I do have an ubuntu install on vmware
Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #2752
bluen
Enthusiast

Quote:

How can I get a full 3.3 rootfs backup and what files would I need to extract once I get it?

EDIT: hmmn, I have some folders copied to my hard drive from an older K3 kindle that I had to return to Amazon for a broken screen. There is a linkfonts folder and inside that folder there is another folder called backups. The backup folder seems also to have the patch that was listed in my log as a patch failure. Would this help and if so, what would be the process?

Thanks.

Last edited by bluen; 10-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #2753
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bluen: Oh, right, forgot that I actually backup this in the Fonts hack .

That'll only help you if the backup's from 3.3, though. (Well, actually, no, you *can* go the long way around and manually patch it, if you go to the trouble of extracting the official updates. Having an idea of which FW version the file is from helps, but is not strictly necessary either).

Once you have the 3.3 file, it's as simple as copying it in the rootfs via SSH.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #2754
bluen
Enthusiast

Quote:
@bluen: Oh, right, forgot that I actually backup this in the Fonts hack .

That'll only help you if the backup's from 3.3, though. (Well, actually, no, you *can* go the long way around and manually patch it, if you go to the trouble of extracting the official updates. Having an idea of which FW version the file is from helps, but is not strictly necessary either).

Once you have the 3.3 file, it's as simple as copying it in the rootfs via SSH.
The backup is from 3.3. Can you tell me which file to copy and exactly which commands I need to type?
I did not set up SSH, I installed a terminal on the kindle and can telnet in from the mac.
(I don't know Linux that well although I can do a few simple commands)

Also I don't have the fonts hack on this kindle. Would I need to install it before proceeding?

Last edited by bluen; 10-28-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #2755
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bluen: Assuming everything's in the right place (tweak the source path of the backup accordingly):

Code:
mntroot rw
cp -f /mnt/us/linkfonts/backups/f394b45e7a2716944ea2c0aeb5c008aa-arm.cache-2 /usr/var/cache/fontconfig/f394b45e7a2716944ea2c0aeb5c008aa-arm.cache-2
mntroot ro
should do the trick.

(Won't help if the backup was done *after* the file was changed/corrupted, of course, but it's worth a shot).
Old 10-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #2756
bluen
Enthusiast

Quote:
@bluen: Assuming everything's in the right place (tweak the source path of the backup accordingly):

Code:
mntroot rw
cp -f /mnt/us/linkfonts/backups/f394b45e7a2716944ea2c0aeb5c008aa-arm.cache-2 /usr/var/cache/fontconfig/f394b45e7a2716944ea2c0aeb5c008aa-arm.cache-2
mntroot ro
should do the trick.

(Won't help if the backup was done *after* the file was changed/corrupted, of course, but it's worth a shot).
thanks.Do I need to have the font hack installed before I do this?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #2757
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bluen: Nope, just make sure you have the backup somewhere in the userstore, and tweak the source path in the cp command accordingly.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #2758
bluen
Enthusiast

Quote:
@bluen: Nope, just make sure you have the backup somewhere in the userstore, and tweak the source path in the cp command accordingly.
Worked, thanks! Immediately afterwards, Amazon updated my Kindle to 3.4.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #2759
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon sent a message to my K3 a week or two ago, titled "Your Kindle is Updated." The message detailed a list of changes. The version is now 3.4 (1725970040).

I applied the jailbreak and screensaver hack to whatever the previous version was.

Question: do I need to do anything? uninstall the old hack & jailbreak? re-install it over the changes? I've been afraid to allow a full re-start of my Kindle, not knowing if I'd get a brick. (Total tech ignoramus here, obviously.)
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #2760
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bluen: Great! .

@Kevin8or: Nope, nothing to do/worry about .

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet