Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PDF to RTF-formatting issues

Ok-I have a drm protected PDF ebook that I paid for and want to download to my Sony 505.
I used an imaging OCR program to convert the protected document to Word as an RTF I beleive.When I go to put it into libris500 or book designer they both choke.
I THINK the problem might be the formatting.All the sections of the text become highlighted in some sort of individual text blocks when I click on a particular word or paragraph in MSWord. The paragraphs sort of look like ole objects, but I can modify the lettering like normal test. I tried to use the command 'select all' but that does not seem to work either.
Any experience with this?
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try using words save as html feature.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2008, 12:47 AM   #3
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the answer Kovid.
I did try that, but the document in question is a 250 pg thesis,with headers,footers and lots and lots of footnotes and references.It was going to be either a messy or very time consuming project.
After playing around with the OCR software,I discovered that the advanced default settings for conversion assigned each section of text it's own formatted box to retain the pdf layout. After turning it down to a lower setting,it gave me a doc file that was reasonable to work with within BD.
I have downloaded your project,LIBPRS500 and am enjoying trying to figure out how it works.I will ask my questions in other posts.
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
steweboy
steweboy began at the beginning.

Hi to everyone!
I'm a newbie in this Forum and I just bought a brand-new Sony PRS-505 about which I'm really happy.
But...of course there's a "but":
I've got plenty of .pdf books, and before loading them on a 2Gb SDCard I tried to "fix" their tags in order for the Reader to perfectly "understand" them.
The final result is a mess: although it seems that every, say, Isaac Asimov's book I loaded has the same file name tag (something like "Asimov, Isaac - Foundation 01" or "Asimov, Isaac - I, Robot") when the Reader loads the SD content and shows the book list, I'm not able to find a clue about the way in which the books are sorted. Browsing for title shows many, for instance, "Asimov, Isaac"s but not every book I put into the folder, which lie spattered under other sorting fields.
Is there any chance to knowing a fool-proof "tagging" for the .pdf files name, able to be recognized by the Sony Reader (and of course able to allow me to browse in an affordable way?).
Thanks for your help.
Stefano
steweboy is offline   Reply With Quote