Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
sunshine6855
sunshine6855 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX mobipocket reader
How to make Igor's script work

I love technology but I am clueless when it comes to software. How does a fairly intelligent person who does not do computer programing make this script work to change Mobi drm to be readable on Kindle. I have put in an order for the device but it will be 4-6 weeks before it arrives. Plenty of time to convert the legally purchased Mobi books I have to work on Kindle. I still have v.6.0 mobi reader on one computer so maybe it will tell me the Kindle PID. However, if that doesn't work, what to do.

I have a pc with XP. What do I need to do to make theses work? can someone programming illiterate do this?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine6855 View Post
I love technology but I am clueless when it comes to software. How does a fairly intelligent person who does not do computer programing make this script work to change Mobi drm to be readable on Kindle. I have put in an order for the device but it will be 4-6 weeks before it arrives. Plenty of time to convert the legally purchased Mobi books I have to work on Kindle. I still have v.6.0 mobi reader on one computer so maybe it will tell me the Kindle PID. However, if that doesn't work, what to do.

I have a pc with XP. What do I need to do to make theses work? can someone programming illiterate do this?
first you need the ID from the Kindle so you can't even start yet.

Dale
Advert
Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is nothing you can actually do until you get the serial number for your Kindle. Also, note that this proceedure won't work on e-books from mobipocket.com and some other sites.

You will need Python. See Python On Windows XP: 7 Minutes To “Hello World!”.

If you download Igor's programs, the included readme.txt includes a test example. Open a command window (START > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt). In the command window:

post content modified on Amazon's request

Then register the PID at your e-book seller's web site and re-download your e-books.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I was a total novice when it came to running scripts on my XP PC. It took me a couple of days of trial and error but this is what worked.

1. Download and install Python. I installed version 2.5. It is in a directory labeled: c:\Python25
2. Download and unzip Igor's scripts. Either unzip or move the scripts to c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts
3. Edit the PATH to include the Python executable and the path to the scripts (where you placed Igor's scripts). In XP right-click on "My Computer" then click on "Properties","Advanced" tab, "Environmental Variables". In the System Variables window find and highlight "PATH" and click edit. Add the paths. The two paths I added were ;c:\Python25 and ;c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts. Please note that each path starts with a semi-colon ";" Be sure your typing is correct and click "OK" Keep clicking "OK" until you're out of the System Properties window.

I was able to convert all my MobiPocket ebooks from one of two ebook stores. *However*, 95% of the books did not show titles when loaded onto the Kindle. There's a fix for that MobiPerl thread Fortunately, you won't have to install Perl to get this to work assuming the Windows executables work in Vista. I was able to add back title and author to the file so that I could see them on the Kindle.

I'm no expert but I'm not afraid to try new (at least to me) things on the PC.

I don't know what, if any, differences there are to running all this in Vista but if there are, I hope you let us know.

HTH
Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
sunshine6855

Ok. I downloaded python and put Igor's scripts in the scripts folder. I edited my path to include c:\python25 and c:\python25\tools\scripts. I ran the kindlePID.py using Igor's serial and got the PID. So far so good.

I then downloaded a book using the PID. Now I don't know what to do.

So, what am I doing wrong? I am excited I got the kindlepid.py to work. Now if I would just figure out the rest.
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
sunshine6855

Please ignore previous post. I finally figured it out. I am so excited!!! Now all I need is a Kindle so I can do it with my books. Thanks for the tools Igor.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Glad you got it to work! It took me hours over several days to figure out how to do this.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
sunshine6855

The true test will be when I get my own Kindle and try to change my own books. I could not have done it without you instructions. Thanks so much.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
would the above procedure work with books purchased from the palm ebooks site, for use on a sony 505 reader?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
sheaps98
sheaps98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Help

How do I get the script to work on a Macbook. I have downloaded Phython for Mac and the script. Now what.
Thanks
Susan
Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #11
MatLu
MatLu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
For the life of me, I can't this script to work with Vista with Python 2.5.2. I thought I did everything correctly, but it just isn't working. I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, so it is possible I'm going something stupid and obvious.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
kfchan
kfchan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Kindlefix.py help

OK, I've been trying to convert my secured MOBI books into a Kindle compatible format, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can someone post step by step directions? When I run the script, it doesn't recognize my book - I've tried moving the files to different locations, but it doens't work. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Have you tried putting the PRC filename in quotes? This is necessary if it contains spaces. If you type the 1st few letters and then use <tab> to complete the filename the shell will add quotes for you if they are needed. If this is the problem you should have been getting the error "PID not valid". If not, what error do you get?

Also, A Beginner's Guide to Kindle Content has a good discussion of which retailers allow you to specify a Kindle PID for your ebooks.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
kfchan
kfchan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I tried using the quotes, still no luck. The error I get is "The file could not be opened - no such file or directory (2)"

Where should I be storing the ebooks I want converted - in the same folder as the python script?

Edited to add: Never mind, I figured it out. Thanks for the help, it was the quotation marks that made the difference.

Last edited by kfchan; 05-30-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #15
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Thanks for all the detailed instructions. Had no problem getting my PID, (did notice that CAPS are very important). But I am having problems getting the book to convert. I keep getting the following error: PID is not valid! (should be in format AAAAAAA*DD). I am using the following pid
VYICCG1*S3

Any hints on what I'm doing wrong?
Closed Thread