Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2012 Mobile Read Book Club Run-Off Vote
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré 20 45.45%
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 24 54.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #46
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Just save the last page for New Years day and there you go..
I like the way you think!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know this suggestion is going to make more work for nominations, but it would be a good idea to list the countries a nominated book is available in. So people who live in countries where it's not available won't be voting for an eBook they cannot easily (or at all) get.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #48
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So yes, the Smiley series is a series. Fantastic Fiction and Overdrive agree with this. I've read some of the Jack Reacher series and so far each book has been mostly stand alone. Yet it is still a series.
Yes, it's a series in the sense that there's a recurring character. I'm reading Le Carré's novels in their published order for that reason. It's not a continuing story, however. The reader gains little if any extra insight into The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by reading the preceding novels.

The important question, once everybody understands each other, is does it matter if you read The Spy Who Came in from the Cold before the preceding novels? My opinion is no, it doesn't matter. The recurring Smiley character plays a minor role that, frankly, could have been filled by anyone. If you're interested in The Spy Who Came in from the Cold but don't feel like committing to the series, by all means read the novel. It stands well on its own.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #49
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Won't let me buy it . Daft, really, as I often order paper books from Amazon US without any rights problems.
I can't seem to buy it in Australia either.

I wasn't sure I was interested in reading this book anyway though, so it's not a big deal for me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd like to get a list of eBook shops to check out in AU in order to add that to my list for any books I nominate. I already know where to check for Canada, UK & USA.
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #51
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I'd like to get a list of eBook shops to check out in AU in order to add that to my list for any books I nominate. I already know where to check for Canada, UK & USA.
We can still get books from Amazon (US site), Kobo and (I guess) Sony. But usually if the book is available in Amazon generally, but not available to me in Australia it usually means I'll find the same elsewhere.

As for Australian-specific ebook stores, that's a good question. I think the following two sites might still work even though the stores have mainly folded now:

http://www.borders.com.au
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au

Also, there's these ones:

http://www.dymocks.com.au
http://www.booktopia.com.au

It also look like there's a google books equivalent for Australia which might be useful going forward. I don't think that used to work for us here:

http://books.google.com.au
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks for that. Now we'll be able to check AU as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #53
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Won't let me buy it . Daft, really, as I often order paper books from Amazon US without any rights problems.
Well I've given in and ordered the paper version from Amazon UK. I've lost track - how long do we have to read it before commentary starts?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #54
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well I've given in and ordered the paper version from Amazon UK. I've lost track - how long do we have to read it before commentary starts?
Discussion starts on the 20th as usual. So a chapter a day starting on the 31st of Dec. or the 1st of Jan. will have you done right on time.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I like that idea. I like it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
We can still get books from Amazon (US site), Kobo and (I guess) Sony. But usually if the book is available in Amazon generally, but not available to me in Australia it usually means I'll find the same elsewhere.

As for Australian-specific ebook stores, that's a good question. I think the following two sites might still work even though the stores have mainly folded now:

http://www.borders.com.au
http://www.angusrobertson.com.au

Also, there's these ones:

http://www.dymocks.com.au
http://www.booktopia.com.au

It also look like there's a google books equivalent for Australia which might be useful going forward. I don't think that used to work for us here:

http://books.google.com.au
caleb72, I could add (in a spoiler) a list of non-continental United States booksellers at the bottom of the second post of the nominations threads for the convenience of members who want to look the information up, starting with the stores you just provided.

Jon, could you provide the names of Canadian & UK stores that you already have?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #56
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I like that idea. I like it a lot.

caleb72, I could add (in a spoiler) a list of non-continental United States booksellers at the bottom of the second post of the nominations threads for the convenience of members who want to look the information up, starting with the stores you just provided.

That is a great idea! I think it will be very helpful!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
UK
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/
http://www.amazon.co.uk
http://books.google.co.uk/ebooks
http://www.whsmith.co.uk/ebooks.aspx
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ks-audio-books <-- in the upper right corner is a way to switch to the UK store

Canada
Go to http://www.amazon.com and make sure you are logged out. Then go to the Kindle Store. Search for a book. After the search results come up, in the upper right corner of the screen, change the country to Canada and search away.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/ <--upper right corner switch to/from US/CA
http://books.google.ca/ebooks

If anyone has anymore stores that we can browse from the US, please let us know. Kobo (for example) doesn't show us if the book we selected is available where. So I would guess that you would need a Canadian account to see what's there for Canada.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #58
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm going to confess to getting very tired of all these "improvements" that only serve to make the selection process even more torturous. They don't seem necessary to me and even seem like stirring the drink for the sake of ongoing turmoil. 2012, the year of no changes, hasn't even started yet!

My understanding of the rules was that a selection had to be available as an ebook somewhere. Can't we just let it go at that? Those who care can check availability in their own country, rather than having nominators logging in and out of various sites around the world. Oops, not availabe in Vanuatu!

Moreover, while I know for some reading on their devices is a necessity, usually there's a pbook option (library, ILL, cheap second-hand copy) for the others when the ebook isn't available. People should be responsible enough to consider their options and vote accordingly. There are a lot of factors that go into making a choice in any case.

Ultimately, in any given month, I look at the winner and if a lot of people want to read something that doesn't work for me for any reason, I'll move on. There's always next month.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #59
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm going to confess to getting very tired of all these "improvements" that only serve to make the selection process even more torturous. They don't seem necessary to me and even seem like stirring the drink for the sake of ongoing turmoil. 2012, the year of no changes, hasn't even started yet!

My understanding of the rules was that a selection had to be available as an ebook somewhere. Can't we just let it go at that? Those who care can check availability in their own country, rather than having nominators logging in and out of various sites around the world. Oops, not availabe in Vanuatu!

Moreover, while I know for some reading on their devices is a necessity, usually there's a pbook option (library, ILL, cheap second-hand copy) for the others when the ebook isn't available. People should be responsible enough to consider their options and vote accordingly. There are a lot of factors that go into making a choice in any case.

Ultimately, in any given month, I look at the winner and if a lot of people want to read something that doesn't work for me for any reason, I'll move on. There's always next month.
The reason Tom is adding the links is so that individual participants can see if an ebook version is available for them, ahead of time.

Plus, libraries can be mentioned until we are all blue in the face but they are not automatically a viable source. Not anymore. Black Rain is not available in my county..period! It would cost me $45 dollars to use the library at the next county over and/or $35 to join the Philadelphia Library (They don't even have Black Rain as an ebook so that would have been pointless).

In order for people to participate in a book club, they have to have access to the books if we want this to be both fun and successful.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's my choice if I want to look up if a book is available as an eBook in another country. I'm not bothered doing it.