Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #1
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Giving the gift of ebooks

Hi all,

Ok - this question is probably about 2 months too late, I should have asked it before the holidays but I'm going to ask it anyways.

Before my reader, asking for books for Christmas or birthdays was as easy as pointing them to my Amazon wish list (whether they purchased them there or not). Books were (are) a large part of my gift ideas lists. Now, with my reader, it is not so easy to ask for books.

How can you give an ebook as a gift, or how have you received one? I know gift certificates are a definite option for this, but I'm hoping there are some other ideas out there...

Thanks,
January

Sorry if this isn't in the right forum - but hey, what is a better deal than a gifted ebook?
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Buy it
Remove DRM
Gift it by email
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I know that Allromance.com lets you buy books for gifts. You have to have the recipient's email address and then they can log into the website and download their book. I don't remember seeing this anywhere else but I think most sites have gift certificates.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
BooksonBoard, Fictionwise-I think they have set-up's where you can gift books to someone else but do not know the specifics. Sony's ebook store......eh. Use it but I don't know anyone I'd buy ebooks for (usually I'm the recipient of such gifts, as no one else I know reads or has a reader) so don't know if they have anything useful there.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Buy it
Remove DRM
Gift it by email
This is actually what I did for my mom this past Christmas. She got a Sony and I wanted to give her several books to go with it, but I wanted to buy her specific books, not just give her a generic gift card. Loaded them onto an SD card and presented that as the gift.

It's a great option for me, but it takes some technical skill and time that many people aren't going to invest in. Right now, gift cards are the easiest way to gift ebooks, but it's rather impersonal.

For Kindle users, Amazon allows us to add ebooks to our wish lists, but it says "While gifting is not yet offered in the Kindle store, we are working to make it available in the near future." So you can keep track of ebooks you want to buy, but there's no way to gift them. Seems to be a problem with most ebook sites (I can't speak to allromance.com that another poster says has gifting options).
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
dboucher
dboucher began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Smile

I was given a $25 gift card. How do I use it?
the number is XXX XXX XXX XXXX

Last edited by netseeker; 02-05-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed the gift card number
dboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboucher View Post
I was given a $25 gift card. How do I use it?
the number is XXX XXX XXX XXXX
Well, I don't know where you gift card is to. But, if you post the number then anybody can cash it in (if they haven't already)

Last edited by netseeker; 02-05-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed the gift card number
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I use gift cars for the amount of the book...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by naumanqayum View Post
where do buy gift cards
I buy the from Amazon since the people I gift books to have the Kindle also.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by naumanqayum View Post
where do buy gift cards
Gift cards for Sony readers can be found at Target, Borders, Sony store, etc. (probably anywhere they physically sell Sony Readers). They generally come in $15, $25, & $50. This only applies to the U.S., I'm not sure about anywhere else.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I was given several Waterstones gift cards for Christmas, which I used online for e-book purchase. On one of them the donor recommended a title, so that was what I bought.

Drawback is that only one card can be used per purchase, so I have several cards left with a small amount on them.

I can pool these in the bricks and mortar shops, for p-books. Not ideal but OK I suppose, I write the residual amount on the front of the card with a magic marker to keep track.
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #12
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post

Drawback is that only one card can be used per purchase, so I have several cards left with a small amount on them.

I can pool these in the bricks and mortar shops, for p-books. Not ideal but OK I suppose, I write the residual amount on the front of the card with a magic marker to keep track.
That stinks. With the Sony store (USA), we can input the card numbers whenever we want and they just add the amounts to one total.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaAnn View Post
Gift cards for Sony readers can be found at Target, Borders, Sony store, etc. (probably anywhere they physically sell Sony Readers). They generally come in $15, $25, & $50. This only applies to the U.S., I'm not sure about anywhere else.
I saw Sony gift cards at Best Buy this week. Located with the reader display. They even are selling the big reader (for newspapers) for $399.99.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #14
amy26
amy26 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey I'm new to the site but really enjoying finding out about eBooks. Think its a great idea giving gift certificates! Never realised there was such a large range of eBooks available!
amy26 is offline   Reply With Quote