Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Launch: Bezos Gone Wild! Amazon Selling Every Non-iPhone Smartphone for One Penny

http://www.launch.is/blog/bezos-gone...rtphone-f.html

Quote:
Smartphones on sale for $0.01 include the Motorola Droid Razr, which Verizon sells for $299 with a two-year contract, the Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch, which Spring sells for $199 with a two-year contract, and the BlackBerry Torch 4G, which AT&T sells for $99 with a two-year contract.

Amazon seems to be going directly after Apple to try to sell more smartphones this holiday season by offering them at unbeatable prices. Bezos had a similar strategy with the Kindle Fire, which sells for $199 -- compared to $499 for the iPad 2 -- and analysts expect will hit 5M in sales in Q4.
Every phone, except the iPhone, for a penny.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Too bad they require an expensive data plan.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I wonder what Apple's response to this will be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I rather suspect that's the point. On most smartphone sales, the profit is made through the contract.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To laugh all the way to the bank, I suspect; they are selling every iPhone that they can make. I was in my local Apple Store a few days ago, and they had a notice up saying that the iPhone 4S was completely sold out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Amazon does this pretty regularly. In past occasions, you even get cash back on the cheaper phones.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I rather suspect that's the point. On most smartphone sales, the profit is made through the contract.
Yep; it's the data plan that's the killer.

I don't mind the 2-year contract and the usage plan. It's what I have on my old school flip phone and would remain the same if I converted to a smartphone. What I strongly object to is the forced data plan I don't need. $30/ month x 24 months = $720. That means a penny phone would actually cost me $720.01. Not my idea of a bargain.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't mind the 2-year contract and the usage plan. It's what I have on my old school flip phone and would remain the same if I converted to a smartphone. What I strongly object to is the forced data plan I don't need. $30/ month x 24 months = $720. That means a penny phone would actually cost me $720.01. Not my idea of a bargain.
Minimum for AT&T is $15/month (200MB) so at least that's just $360 additional for the life of the contract.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:

You can get $15/month for 24 months if you don't use a lot of data. I'm not sure if that's a "bargain," but it's a good deal for a lot of people.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
You can get $15/month for 24 months if you don't use a lot of data. I'm not sure if that's a "bargain," but it's a good deal for a lot of people.
Not at Verizon. I'm on a family plan and Verizon provides the best coverage.

Even $15 is too much for me. I don't need 3G/4G internet, so why should I have to pay for something I don't need?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
If you want a high end phone, then it's a bargain. Try finding a Samsung Galaxy S II for $360.01.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Yep I remember the good ol days when a person had the option to pay per MB usage or pay for a data plan. If you didn't want to pay for a data plan you could switch to MB usage and not use any data. But the cell companies decided it was much more profitable to force you to pay.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To laugh all the way to the bank.
Right because Samsung, HTC, Moto, etc... are all giving away their phones for a penny

=X=
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon has been selling phones (Android, Windows, etc..) for a penny for some time. And this has been cutting into their sales. Apples response was to sell their older phones for less. You can get a 3G for free with some carriers.

For people that just want an Apple product and couldn't afford to pay premium it's a great deal. For those that want the best phone for the money is a rip-off
=X=
Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Right because Samsung, HTC, Moto, etc... are all giving away their phones for a penny
Even if they're not giving away their phones, Apple still enjoys bigger subsidies than the other manufacturers are getting. That's not even counting the extra money they get for in-store or Apple.com new/upgrade contract activations. Apple's also given far more concessions compared to other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see how long that state will continue.