Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by adfleisher View Post
Update to 1.2 is on the website for manual download....updating now
Does it say what it does/adds?

BOb

Ah.. I found this:

A new software update for Kindle has rolled out. This update (version 1.2) adds the following features:

- Zoom any image in Kindle books or periodicals by selecting the image using the scroll wheel.
- Individual items and groups of items can be deleted directly from the Home screen. Simply scroll to the item you wish to delete and push the backspace key.
- Improved character and font support including Greek characters and monospace fonts.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Update to 1.2 is on the website for manual download
From Updating Your Kindle Software:
Quote:
This update (version 1.2) adds the following features:

* Image zoom: Zoom in on any image in Kindle books or periodicals using the scroll wheel.
* Enhanced content management: Delete items directly from the Home screen with a new short-cut key--scroll to the item and push the "backspace" key.
* Improved character and font support: New support includes Greek characters and monospace fonts.
I wonder if monospaced fonts are in AZW (MOBI), because the lack of monospaced support has been a major issue with getting computer books into MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
- "Check for New Content" is now "Sync & Check for Items"
- New option on a book's menu -- "Sync to Furthest Page Read"
The Syncing features are intriguing. What does it mean exactly?
This probably means that Amazon's server "knows" where you are in each ebook. If so, then this is to get ready for upgrades from Kindle 1 to Kindle 2. From Exciting News Getting in Line For 2nd Generation Kindle:
Quote:
One thing that Amazon knows is that one of the biggest sources for Kindle 2.0 orders will be previous Kindle 1.0 buyers. That's the main reason the company is presently in the middle of a firmware upgrade (1.2) to streamline synchronicity between multiple Kindles assigned to a single customer account. It is also the reason the company recently opened its own Marketplace features to allow easy after-market sales of Kindle 1.0 units by Kindle owners.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #19
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
This probably means that Amazon's server "knows" where you are in each ebook. If so, then this is to get ready for upgrades from Kindle 1 to Kindle 2. From Exciting News Getting in Line For 2nd Generation Kindle:
Yes, if you are reading the same book on multiple Kindles, that feature will take you to the last page read across all of them. Or so I am told -- we have only one in our household.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
skytalon
skytalon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Update to 1.2 is on the website for manual download....updating now
I couldn't download the file the link to the .bin was bad.
skytalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytalon View Post
I couldn't download the file the link to the .bin was bad.
It worked for me, using http://cde-g7g.amazon.com/FionaCDESe...kindle_1.2.bin
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #22
skytalon

Quote:
this is what I got

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/com...t-fulfill.html
Old 02-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I usually leave my Kindle wireless off. I turned it on for one night, the next morning it reported v1.2.

I like the ability to delete the book from the home page now. Nice touch that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #24
skytalon

Quote:
I got the update this morning via whispernet. Thanks for ur help regardless.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Alrighty! The image zoom works.

I'd purchased a semi-technical book, Windows Home Server for Dummies, and before the update I couldn't zoom the images. Now I can, not that it makes much of a difference if the image isn't too clear to begin with. Once I get the K2 I'll compare the image zoom with the same image from the same ebook.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
To receive Kindle 1 updates over the air - turn on the WAN switch, then Home->Menu->Settings->Menu->check for new items.

Watch the bottom of the screen.

If it says "Downloading items", then that is probably your new Software (among maybe other things that were waiting to come to your device).
If it says "No new items", then the software may already be there and not applied.

To apply the update

Home -> menu -> Settings -> menu -> Update

If the "Update" menu item is not accessible, then the new SW is not there.
Try again a day later.
It may have come down and been corrupted, or the download was interrupted.
Eventually the system will recover.

Also - keep in mind that with a purported 500,000 Kindle 1's out there Amazon may not send updates to all devices at the same time, but roll a new version out in waves in order to smooth the data traffic. Just a guess.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 02-10-2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: grammar fix
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #27
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
To understand Last Page Read (Last Location) try this experiment from a Kindle 1 .
Open a book that you purchased from Amazon.
Next-Page along for a while, or Goto some location and Next-Page along for a while (~20 pages?) (I am not sure if there is a threshold). You are simulating a reading experience.
It's Ok to actually read the pages :-)

Next go to Content Manger and delete the book.
(or delete from Home of you are on 1.2)

Verify it's gone from Home.

Go back to Content Manger, View Archived Items, Download the deleted book.
From Home - open it. You will be at the Last Page Read! Your bookmarks will be there too.

It all works because the annotation and reading information is stored on a server. (You can verify the likelihood of this server-based scheme by restoring to factory settings instead of deleting the book locally; or if you have two Kindles, download to one that never had the book, etc.).

This is like the Kindle 1, now I upgrade to Kindle 2, scenario since content will have to be downloaded to the Kindle 2, and annotations (including Last Page Read) will come with the content. But this is only a one-time "synch".

Version 1.2 and 2.0 menu items imply a mulit-time (pseudo real time?) sync between two (or more) Kindles "automatically" - or perhaps between a yet to be announced desktop reader or even some other reader and a Kindle.

Consider this scenario: I was reading on my laptop at work (ahem), then as I went home on the train, I picked up my Kindle 1.2 (2.0) and presto, right where I left off. Just a suggestion. Amazon owns Mobipocket and it could break down the DRM wall if they desired; that's another topic, for another day.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 02-10-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: tweak spelling
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
- Zoom any image in Kindle books or periodicals by selecting the image using the scroll wheel.
- Individual items (and groups of items) can be deleted directly from the Home screen. Simply scroll to the item you wish to delete and push the backspace key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I like the ability to delete the book from the home page now.
BOb
Mine updated over the air last night, when I turned on the network. For me, the delete-from-home-page is huge. It's SO much easier to cleanup after myself this way! I read through 5 or 6 samples last night, before finally finding one I wanted to continue.** The delete was a breeze, and a huge help.

**Unfortunately, the one I want to continue is Libby Cone's book, which is now not-available, awaiting its being published this summer. Arggh!! I want it *now*!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Mine didn't update for the longest time until I figured out that my Kindle main memory was too full. For some reason, it needed 5M to update although it only used part of it.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
AuPhinger
Aficionado
AuPhinger began at the beginning.

Device: Rags to Riches - K1, K2, 500
"Amazon recently took NowNow offline, but they did repackage the service, it's now called Askville. "

OK, I have a Kindle on order, but I did not know I was getting into such esoteric frontiers...I first saw the reference to "NowNow", and a bit later, "Askville", which I took a quick look at.

Now I'm wondering, what are the demographics for these eReaders---or at least the Kindle? "Services" like those two would make me think they (Amazon) were targeting the teeny-boppers...

Just curious more than anything,

Gene
AuPhinger is offline   Reply With Quote