Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #331
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
I suppose it has already been addressed in this thread, but not to have to read all previous post:

Is it possible to write by hand, and have it changed to epub font and pdf? For example if you want to write a book? Even ready for Kindle format?

If so, is that a hassle? (I'm so used to my laptop.)

Insights I usually quickly jot down with a ballpoint or pencil on scraps of paper. I have a stack of those.
I like the idea of just handwriting a text for a possible book. And then have it converted to print font.
Even the idea of publishing a book printed in my handwriting has come up. (People have told me they like my handwriting, and its really easy to read.) But I have doubts about that being a good idea...

Last edited by Lode; 05-05-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33 AM   #332
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
Even the idea of publishing a book printed in my handwriting has come up. (People have told me they like my handwriting, and its really easy to read.) But I have doubts about that being a good idea...
I would scratch that idea. With ebooks the only way that would work is with a font created from your handwriting. And then it wouldn't be your handwriting anymore. It would just look like any other wannabe cursive font that tries to mimic handwriting. If you leave it as picture then you end up with a very large ebook, which probably won't have features like reflow or adjustable font size.

For me personally it is a very important feature to be able to have every book I read look exactly the same. I am not alone in this and I know that others like to switch things up depending on genre, mood, time of day, tiredness of eyes, and so on.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #333
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Thank you much.

That thought had also passed my mind, that creating an alphabet with my handwritten letters and use that would also look unnatural.

In the mean time I also concluded that just using existing book fonts is best. So thank you for confirming that, including with technical detail.

But still handwriting a book seems attractive to me. To then have it converted to book font.

I've noticed that with correcting typo's during typing it might not be all that much faster than handwriting.
(Even though I use all fingers minus my left thumb, as I only use my right one for the space bar. But I also have fallen into the habit of often peaking where I put my fingers. And still typos. Not so with handwriting. Or much less.)

Last edited by Lode; 05-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #334
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can always just read it aloud and let Dictation software turn it into a document. see our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:54 PM   #335
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
But still handwriting a book seems attractive to me. To then have it converted to book font.
So far, I've been fairly impressed by the handwriting recognition software of the new 2.1.1 Onyx firmware. Although I've got fairly messy handwriting, it has miraculously been able to decipher everything I have thrown at it so far.

Of course, one would still have to go through the resulting text to ensure that punctuation, paragraph breaks and the like were all where they were needed. Also, I've noticed that sometimes two separate words will get rendered as one word... Still, I have been impressed.

Even for taking notes in a lecture, such a function can be very useful.

Studies have apparently shown that those who take notes by hand have a better recall of the information afterwards... Using such software, one could have the best of both worlds. One would reap the benefits gained from taking notes by hand, but would then have searchable notes which one could easily manipulate and share with others.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-06-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #336
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Studies have apparently shown that those who take notes by hand have a better recall of the information afterwards... Using such software, one could have the best of both worlds. One would reap the benefits gained from taking notes by hand, but would then have searchable notes which one could easily manipulate and share with others.
Don't have an Onyx device but agree completely on this point. Here's one study that showed those findings. Lately I've been experimenting in my Ipad, and a Windows laptop with a touch screen, using Microsoft OneNote with a stylus to do exactly this. Onenote has an amazing capacity to accurately recognize handwriting and then convert to text. And when I use the (yes, rather too spendy) Apple Pencil, I have zero problems with palm recognition on the screen, it knows how to ignore my palm as a lefthanded writer, and accept only pen input.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:45 PM   #337
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
The handwriting recognition feature on the reMarkable is pretty good (it does a better job of reading my wife's handwriting than I do), actually. The one problem I have with it is, it doesn't try to read formulas, and that's a huge part of what I write.

The other limitations are in the software implementation: it only works with an internet connection, and it doesn't offer a way to convert the result into text in the document - all you can do with the result is send it by email. This last part is pretty a pretty stupid limitation, if you ask me, but there it is. Also, you need to go all the way to the settings to change the language preselection - you can't change on the fly. This too is a problem for me - by myself I write in French, but when I'm taking notes from a lecture in English I'll typically write in English as well.
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #338
rafail
Enthusiast
rafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolaterafail is generous with chocolate

Device: Onyx Note
Hi, Philippe!
I would ask if you could share some details about handwriting on reMarkable. Aside from the feeling of writing on true paper that I saw everyone praises, which is the accuracy of handwriting? I refer not only to the large writing that appears in all the video reviews, but to the calligraphic writing. With Onyx Boox Note, although (with some efforts) the general appearance of the page is satisfactory, however the line of writing is slightly trembling and when lifting and restoring the stylus on the screen, there is a mistake of 1-2 mm, accentuated at the edges of the screen. Could you post a higher resolution image with a handwriting page?
One more question: the recognition of handwriting in what proportion is faithful to the text entered? Does it work for two languages ​​simultaneously? (At Onyx Boox the fidelity of the recognition is very good - with the only problem being that spaces must be added between words, but it only works for one language).
Thanks and sorry for disturbing.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DCIM.zip (4.85 MB, 586 views)
rafail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:49 AM   #339
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
There is no native handwriting recognition / conversion at all, you send the notebook to a server on the Internet. However that's true for the Kindle Scribe too.

Both reMarkable original and reMarkable 2 are now on version 3.x.x firmware. You may need to check for updates and update more than once till the GUI tells you you are up to date.
https://support.remarkable.com/s/art...re-release-3-0

The original is nicer to write on (textured plastic vs glass on reMarkable2).
It still only has networking for USB connection, using your browser if you can't run the app. It still converts to PDF if you want epub2.
Some features need the Internet or also a subscription. The release notes are misleading.

reMarkable2
Quote:
Specifications
4.7 mm (0.19 in) thin
188 x 246 x 4.7 mm (7.4 x 9.6 x 0.19 in)
403.5 g (0.89 lb)
Wi-Fi
8 GB internal storage, about 6.5 GB free (other 10″ makes are 32GB or more)
Up to two weeks of battery
Automatically synced to your phone and computer with the reMarkable cloud service (aspects require subscription. Needs WiFi and Internet)
Screen size 10.3″, 1872x1404 resolution (226 DPI)
Glass front surface on screen
Menu language: English
Operating system: Codex, a custom Linux-based OS
RAM 1 GB LPDDR3 SDRAM
Processor 1.2 GHz dual core ARM
PDF and ePUB (seems to convert to PDF to install)
Palm rejection? Yes
Backlight / Frontlight? No
Memory card? No
Charging: USB-C
Buttons: None
Original reMarkable
Quote:
Specifications
177 x 256 x 6.7mm (6.9 x 10.1 x .26 inches)
350 gram (.77 pounds)
10.3” monochrome digital paper display (black and white)
1872x1404 resolution (226 DPI)
Backlight / Frontlight? No
Memory card? No
Multi-point capacitive touch
No glass parts, virtually unbreakable
Paper-like surface friction due to textured plastic.
Palm rejection: Yes
8 GB internal storage (free available space is about 6.5 GB)
512 MB DDR3L RAM
Processor: 1 GHz ARM A9 CPU
Battery: Rechargeable (Micro USB): 3000 mAh
Warning: The battery in this product cannot easily be replaced by end-users.
Operating system: Codex, a custom Linux-based OS optimized for low-latency e-paper.
Document support: PDF and ePUB (seems to convert to PDF)
Buttons: Prior, Home & Next
Both use the Wacom EMR stylus (like Kindle Scribe) which can occasionally tend to operate above the screen surface. The Wacom stylus is powered by the host. The pen used on the Kobo Sage, Elipsa and MS Surface needs ever so slight pressure and has a 6 month life AAAA cell.

The original reMarkable has 512K vs 1024M RAM, a slightly slower cpu, three buttons vs none, easier to write/sketch screen and almost 50g lighter. Other than that they are very similar and run the same version number of software/firmware so far (3.x.x as I write). The reMarkable2 is thinner by 2mm (just a bit more than 1/16th inch = 1.6mm)

There is no real library feature like on Kindle or Kobo, you have a file manager.

Specifications from reMarkable's Web site
https://support.remarkable.com/s/art...t-reMarkable-1
https://support.remarkable.com/s/art...t-reMarkable-2

Using without a subscription
https://support.remarkable.com/s/art...a-subscription

Very misleading article. The handwriting conversion uses a cloud service that happens to be free now. It is not on the device. You get the conversion by email.

I've given away my reMarkable a short while ago, but upgraded it via WiFi and internet yesterday. I can't see how to update other than OTA WiFi on the Internet.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-31-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:21 PM   #340
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Comparison

The first Sony Digital Paper was ten years ago.
https://the-digital-reader.com/sony-...aper-division/

The original reMarkable was 3 years later. The reMarkable 2 is a minor update with more awkward screen, removed the buttons and still essentially a networked PDF device. (WiFi or USB networking) So it's essentially more like the Sony Digital Paper models than like an Onyx, Meebook, Kobo or Kindle model with a digitiser and stylus.

If you want secondhand PDF with sketch freehand annotation, then an original reMarkable may be better value than a reMarkable 2 or a Sony Digital Paper. AFAIK the Sony only connects via the Sony host program. The reMarkable will work on anything with a USB host, USB networking and a browser.

Or a second-hand Fujitsu 10.3″ Quaderno A5 uses about the same screen as all the 10.3″ makes but the Kindle Scribe. It might be less restrictive than Sony software, only the hardware is the same.
https://the-digital-reader.com/fujit...rno-a5-and-a4/

Last edited by Quoth; 01-31-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:44 AM   #341
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am surprised the remarkable does not come with the pen. I went to the website and it was crazy cheap, Apparently once you buy the pen it gets pricier. Its now $279 refurb like new and $299 new BEFORE pen is added. https://remarkable.com/store/configu...2&device=RM110
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #342
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I'd guess they buy in Wacom EMR Pens as sales require and have a load of reMarkables they need to sell.
It's old, and clunky even with latest Firmware. Also the Notebook now accepts typed input from the touch screen and never converted pen handwriting, it was just a sketch pad.
Obviously if you want to annotate the PDF you need the Wacom EMR Pen.

I think the Scribe is better value now, even though it's about $280 to $450 depending on options, though I don't think it does onboard handwriting to text conversion either. I seriously considered a Scribe simply for PDF proofing, but I can't be sending the PDFs to Amazon.

I don't miss the reMarkable. I must see what use, if any, it's getting. That family has a Sage, Nia, Sony PRS-T2 and even an LCD Binatone ereader. All better to read novels / epubs on.
Old 09-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #343
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I want one but the main reason I have not purchased one is there is no backlight, not enough storage, and you have to pay extra for the pen. The tablet buy itself new is $299 or $279 refurb but once you add a pen and folio its over $500 which is crazy! much better to get a Scribe or Elipsa or BOOX
Old 09-12-2023, 04:16 PM   #344
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I want one but the main reason I have not purchased one is there is no backlight, not enough storage, and you have to pay extra for the pen.
Less than 6G free on both models. (Kobo 32G)
Only USB Networking, no MTP or Mass Storage. (Kobo Mass Storage)
No Calibre connection. (Kobo has best support: Titles, Authors, Collections, reading state/position, Series, bookmarks, highlights, notes)
Drag & drop one file at a time in Browser to Send. Only create folders on reMarkable GUI on device.
No handwriting conversion on the device. (Works on Sage & Elipsa)
Only Native PDF, epubs are converted to PDF.
Really only file based navigation, no Library interface (Kobo, Kindle, Sony).

I was considering a Scribe, but descriptions put me off a bit. Now that it's MTP, though better still than reMarkable, it's off my list.
Old 10-04-2023, 09:52 AM   #345
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Less than 6G free on both models. (Kobo 32G)
Only USB Networking, no MTP or Mass Storage. (Kobo Mass Storage)
No Calibre connection. (Kobo has best support: Titles, Authors, Collections, reading state/position, Series, bookmarks, highlights, notes)
Drag & drop one file at a time in Browser to Send. Only create folders on reMarkable GUI on device.
No handwriting conversion on the device. (Works on Sage & Elipsa)
Only Native PDF, epubs are converted to PDF.
Really only file based navigation, no Library interface (Kobo, Kindle, Sony).

I was considering a Scribe, but descriptions put me off a bit. Now that it's MTP, though better still than reMarkable, it's off my list.
The remarkable company needs to add a light and include the pen for free and lower the price to be competitive. It's just too expensive compared to the competition. Even the Boox Note Air 2 Plus is cheaper. With the Scribe and Boox I can send docs to myself and save it to my ipad in goodnotes or one note. Only way i can see paying over $500 for a remarkable tablet is if they gave me 64GB minimum and a backlight. I still think its a cool device. I hope the remarkable 3, if it ever comes out, has a light at least