Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 07:18 PM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
So with this update, I now have a virtual book showing up in the device tab.
I can't delete it, and it shows up in the calibre device view both with all checked and all unchecked under metadata / show as on device.

I actually don't care that it shows up; what I care is that it now triggers smart eject to show there's a book on my device that isn't in the library, and I can't seem to figure out how to exclude it. I tried "size:=0" but that doesn't match it.

So, how can I exclude this virtual book in the device view (without excluding real ones), and/or what can I do to help debug where this came from, since it doesn't seem to be a recommendation, archived book, or preview (or at least, unchecking those boxes doesn't make it go away).
To do the metadata updating, I did rework a lot of code in the driver. But, it shouldn't have changed anything related to what books are seen on the device. To let me see what is happening, in the driver configuration, put the name of the errant book in the "Title to test when debugging" field on the third tab. It doesn't need to be the full title, just something that will match the book without matching to many others (i.e. don't use "the"). Then run calibre in debug mode, let the device connection jobs run and then close calibre. Then post or PM the complete log to me.

Quote:
Also, I have a template in update metadata -> comments that the new driver update is not using and clears on the device, so I've disabled the metadata update in the driver for now... if this could be fixed, it would save me a step when adding new books!
See my answer to @anacreon about the comments and the metadata plugboard.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:25 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbi View Post
It looks like we need another patch from Geek1011 to allow it to happen?
Sorry, but I doubt that is possible. When the device is connected to a PC, it is effectively sleeping. When it is disconnected, it wakes the applications it runs, called "nickel", looks for the changes in books and handles them appropriately.

To do what you suggest, you would need to disconnect the device and have it know to import the books and automatically reconnect.

But, I have to admit, it has always baffled me as to what is so hard about plugging it in again. Or just letting the update happen the next time you need to connect. It isn't hard, and is very safe when compared to any other method.
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Here's a horrifying idea for setting series info on initial book upload.
(rest of post censored so as not to scare the children. Or give them ideas.)
Quote:
Ugh... I feel filthy just thinking about it. Shower time methinks!
And so you should
Old 12-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #19
tumbi
tumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watchtumbi is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, I have to admit, it has always baffled me as to what is so hard about plugging it in again. Or just letting the update happen the next time you need to connect. It isn't hard, and is very safe when compared to any other method.
Yep. You are right, it’s not hard and with the way things are designed, it is obviously the only way to go.

Sometimes a newbie can ask a dumb question but it is not always a waste of time. An entirely fresh approach can sometimes trigger a different solution. But not this time!

Thanks David for your experienced input.
tumbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #20
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Relevant looking excerpt from the log:
Spoiler:

DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:books - row= {u'___ExpirationStatus': 0, u'DateCreated': None, u'SeriesNumber': None, u'ImageId': u'c0ffee00-0000-0000-0000-000000000000', u'ISBN': u'1990000461471', u'Description': u'', u'ExternalId': None, u'IsDownloaded': u'true', u'MimeType': u'application/epub+zip', u'ContentID': u'687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5', u'ContentType': u'6', u'Language': u'en', u'Title': u'Feeding the mind', u'Publisher': u'', u'Subtitle': None, u'FavouritesIndex': -1, u'Accessibility': 1, u'Attribution': u'Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper', u'Series': None, u'ReadStatus': 0, u'___UserID': u'XXXXX'}
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:books - path='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5' Co
ntentID='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5' externalId=None
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - title='Feeding the mind' ContentType=6
isdownloaded= true
DEBUG: 1.0 prefix=/media/KOBOeReader/, DateCreated=None, readstatus=0, MimeType=application/epub+zip, expired=0, favouritesindex=-1, accessibility=1, isdownloaded=true
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - playlist_map= {u'': []}
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - idx=23
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - lpath=
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - bl[idx].device_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - bookshelves= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - kobo_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - series="None"
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - the book= Title : Feeding the mind
Author(s) : Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper [Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper]
Kobo metadata:
MimeType : application/epub+zip
Title : Unknown
Author(s) : Unknown
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - the authors= [u'Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper']
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - application_id= None
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - ContentID='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5'
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - updated bl[idx].device_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - playlist_map= {u'': []} changed= False
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - book class=<class 'calibre.devices.kobo.books.Book'>
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - book title=Feeding the mind
KoboTouchExtended:settings: settings= <calibre.utils.config_base.OptionValues object at 0x7f98e1e85710>
DEBUG: 1.3 KoboTouch:books - automatically managing metadata
DEBUG: 1.3 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.3 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'

Let me know if you still want the entire log.

And when I try to import the book into the library, I get a dialog containing this:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 3.35.0
Not Implemented: The following books are virtual and cannot be added to the calibre library:

/media/KOBOeReader/
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #21
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
My main concern is not so much the inconvenience, but rather the durability of the micro USB connector. If one wants series information on the device, that basically doubles the number of connect/disconnect cycles on the connector.

The connector on my H2O is definitely starting to feel a bit on the loose side, compared to how it used to be.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Relevant looking excerpt from the log:
Spoiler:

DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:books - row= {u'___ExpirationStatus': 0, u'DateCreated': None, u'SeriesNumber': None, u'ImageId': u'c0ffee00-0000-0000-0000-000000000000', u'ISBN': u'1990000461471', u'Description': u'', u'ExternalId': None, u'IsDownloaded': u'true', u'MimeType': u'application/epub+zip', u'ContentID': u'687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5', u'ContentType': u'6', u'Language': u'en', u'Title': u'Feeding the mind', u'Publisher': u'', u'Subtitle': None, u'FavouritesIndex': -1, u'Accessibility': 1, u'Attribution': u'Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper', u'Series': None, u'ReadStatus': 0, u'___UserID': u'XXXXX'}
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:books - path='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5' Co
ntentID='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5' externalId=None
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - title='Feeding the mind' ContentType=6
isdownloaded= true
DEBUG: 1.0 prefix=/media/KOBOeReader/, DateCreated=None, readstatus=0, MimeType=application/epub+zip, expired=0, favouritesindex=-1, accessibility=1, isdownloaded=true
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - idx=23
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - lpath=
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - bl[idx].device_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - bookshelves= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - kobo_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - series="None"
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - the book= Title : Feeding the mind
Author(s) : Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper [Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper]
Kobo metadata:
MimeType : application/epub+zip
Title : Unknown
Author(s) : Unknown
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - the authors= [u'Lewis Carroll,William Henry Draper']
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - application_id= None
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - ContentID='687945d8-3035-4b71-8928-87090afe1dd5'
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - updated bl[idx].device_collections= []
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - playlist_map= {u'': []} changed= False
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - book class=<class 'calibre.devices.kobo.books.Book'>
DEBUG: 1.0 KoboTouch:update_booklist - book title=Feeding the mind
KoboTouchExtended:settings: settings= <calibre.utils.config_base.OptionValues object at 0x7f98e1e85710>
DEBUG: 1.3 KoboTouch:books - automatically managing metadata
DEBUG: 1.3 KoboTouch:books - about to sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.3 USBMS: starting sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 USBMS: finished sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - have done sync_booklists
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - end - oncard='None'
DEBUG: 1.5 KoboTouch:books - oncard='carda'

Let me know if you still want the entire log.
That looks like what I would expect, and I would expect that it was displayed in the device list. It is slightly unusual in that the book format is epub, but it has been downloaded from Kobo. I have one or two of those as well. How does the book display on the device? I am expecting it to be in the "Purchased" list.

But, there was actually a bug related to books like these. It had been there for a long time and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it. One of the changes I made when doing this fixed the problem. It was sort of a side-effect of the other changes. I made changes and everything was working. Then I decided to fix this bug while I was at it, and, found that it had gone away. When I looked at why, it was fixed by the other changes.
Quote:
And when I try to import the book into the library, I get a dialog containing this:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 3.35.0
Not Implemented: The following books are virtual and cannot be added to the calibre library:

/media/KOBOeReader/
You will get that message whenever you try to add a book downloaded from Kobo (purchased, preview, library, etc.) to the library. The message is a general one that really means "The selected book on device cannot be added to the library". The term "virtual" comes from other devices and I haven't found a way to override it. There is a bug as the path at the end of the details should be the path to the book, not to the root directory of the device. And I also need to look at the add to library as I would like a way to add an empty book in some circumstances. I'd like it at least for OverDrive books.

I use SmartEject as well. But, I turn of fmost of the checks. I use multiple libraries and there are lots of books on the devices that aren't in whichever library I am looking at when I eject the device. The only one I have enabled is the Reading List setting.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
My main concern is not so much the inconvenience, but rather the durability of the micro USB connector. If one wants series information on the device, that basically doubles the number of connect/disconnect cycles on the connector.

The connector on my H2O is definitely starting to feel a bit on the loose side, compared to how it used to be.
I was given a handy little device. Basically, a microUSB female port at one end, an USB A female port at the other and a bit of logic and a switch in the middle. Press the switch and it disconnect the Vcc line. Saves the plugging and unplugging in most cases.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 AM   #24
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, so you are saying this is mostly not a bug. That's fine, but I still need to figure out how to make smart eject do what I want with it.

Quote:
That looks like what I would expect,
[...]
I am expecting it to be in the "Purchased" list.
It probably is. I think I have empty books in the library that match the rest of my purchased (and overdrive) books, likely this one just got missed.

This brings me back to the other part of my question...
How can I exclude this from the device list search. Am I doing something wrong that I can't get size to match it?

Or maybe I should just create an empty book to cover it.
It would be nice if instead of giving an error when I try to import it, calibre offered to import just the metadata and not try to import a format and create the empty book for me.

Quote:
I use SmartEject as well. But, I turn of fmost of the checks. I use multiple libraries and there are lots of books on the devices that aren't in whichever library I am looking at when I eject the device.
I have multiple libraries as well, and my solution to that is that each library has two special tags: One indicates that the book is in that library, so smart eject ignores it for other libraries. The other indicates that the book needs to be imported into the library.

So, for instance, if I have a book in library B that I want to add to A, I add importA to the tags for it in library B... otherwise it has the tag libB and smart eject ignores it in library A.

I wouldn't have to do that, except that the libraries live on different computers and (intentionally) have only a small amount of overlap between them, and rarely I collect a book in the wrong place that needs to be transferred.

Last edited by compurandom; 12-09-2018 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 AM   #25
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:

I've had major problems with the durability of the micro USB connector with previous kobo devices so whenever possible (and the disconnect / connect to update metadata is a typical case), I unplug / plug the dock's mains connection. My PC is a laptop, so it has no effect on it, but even a desktop's USB connectors are probably more resilient than the kobos.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:58 AM   #26
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I've had major problems with the durability of the micro USB connector with previous kobo devices so whenever possible (and the disconnect / connect to update metadata is a typical case), I unplug / plug the dock's mains connection. My PC is a laptop, so it has no effect on it, but even a desktop's USB connectors are probably more resilient than the kobos.
I do the same. I unplug it from the desktop/laptop, not from the ereader.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Or maybe I should just create an empty book to cover it.
I usually add all my books to calibre. There are a couple of empty books for books borrowed from the library.
Quote:
It would be nice if instead of giving an error when I try to import it, calibre offered to import just the metadata and not try to import a format and create the empty book for me.
I think that is what I said I was going to look at. But, don't hold your breath waiting
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM   #28
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I do the same. I unplug it from the desktop/laptop, not from the ereader.
same here. only one side needs to be disconnected, so it makes sense to disconnect the more durable side.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #29
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
I think that is what I said I was going to look at. But, don't hold your breath waiting
Not holding breath. Ironically, when I looked at it, the book in question was a DRM version of a gutenberg book (why!!?!) with horrible OCR errors. I deleted it and replaced it with a free version without errors. The rest of my bought books already have empty placeholders.

Also, I got the plugboard metadata update working for comments.
That's one less step I have to manually do when adding books. Thanks for that great feature!

As for the discussion on wearing out micro USB connectors, (except when debugging) I don't bother going through the connect / disconnect cycle to get the metadata updated. I just live with partially updated metadata until the next time I connect to side load more books. I have a marking system so that I manually mark books on device with fully updated metadata, and unmarked books I know I need to update. Now with this change, I should be able to pre-mark them, so I know which books to manually adjust when I delete them from the device. (Those adjustments include marking them as read, adding plot summaries so I don't accidentally re-read them, etc.) I'll probably end up simplifying my work flow as I get use to this new feature.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #30
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Just looking at the conversation above, I have for a ling time had my routing to unplu the Kobo, restart it and plug it in again. The restart seemed also necessary though I dont remember why!
In th descripton in Calibre for the plug in, I couldn’t see the Clara yet btw.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote