Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 10.3.3 released

iOS 10.3.3 has been released and it appears to be just bug fixes and security enhancements.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 AM   #2
pastanley
Zealot
pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastanley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4, Kindle fire HD 10
Downloading on my ipad mini 4 now...thanks for the heads up
pastanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
10.3.3 fixes the Broadpwn wifi issue I believe... so a worthwhile update in that security regard.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3209...-the-wild.html
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
10.3.3 fixes the Broadpwn wifi issue I believe... so a worthwhile update in that security regard.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3209...-the-wild.html
That is a good fix to have, though still not much specific data available on the security issue. I make it a habit to never log into WiFi networks unless I know the owner, and I never use the free access WiFi networks. A lot of doctor offices offer free WiFi connection in their waiting rooms, but I don't trust any of those networks. I use cellular on my iPhone to do whatever internet stuff I want to do while away from home. Much safer to stick with cellular, and since I have an unlimited data plan I do. The only downside is speed, or lack thereof. But I would rather have a slow connection instead of a fast one that is unsafe.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I make it a habit to never log into WiFi networks unless I know the owner, and I never use the free access WiFi networks. A lot of doctor offices offer free WiFi connection in their waiting rooms, but I don't trust any of those networks.
The discoverer of Broadpwn is going to be holding a briefing on it at Black Hat on Thursday, July 27. We should know more after that, but since the problem is in the Broadcom Wi-Fi chipset firmware it is possible that this bug could be exploited if you have Wi-Fi enabled, even if it is not connected.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The discoverer of Broadpwn is going to be holding a briefing on it at Black Hat on Thursday, July 27. We should know more after that, but since the problem is in the Broadcom Wi-Fi chipset firmware it is possible that this bug could be exploited if you have Wi-Fi enabled, even if it is not connected.
That is even worse than I thought. In my case it is probably a good idea to enable Airplane Mode when around office buildings/doctor offices/shopping malls, etc. I'm retired so I rarely go anywhere near office buildings except when I go to the doctor. I rarely go to shopping malls. Of course remembering to enable Airplane Mode will likely be an issue for me!

I never use Apple Pay either. I assume it probably needs WiFi or cellular to work. It isn't like Apple Pay saves you much time. I see people trying to use it or the Android version, and quite often it takes them a lot of attempts before it works, if it works. They often wind up causing a backup in the checkout line. Using a CC is nearly as fast and usually less of an issue. It is almost like smartphone payments are becoming the modern version of an elderly person with poor eyesight and Parkinsons disease trying to write a check in the checkout line, or the person with a zillion coupons, but no clue what order they are in!
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I never use Apple Pay either. I assume it probably needs WiFi or cellular to work.
Nope - it doesn't need an Internet connection. It communicates with the payment terminal using NFC (exactly the same as contactless payment using a credit or debit card does), and the terminal talks to the bank. There's absolutely no difference between using Apple Pay and a contactless card. It works even if the iPhone is in Airplane mode.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nope - it doesn't need an Internet connection. It communicates with the payment terminal using NFC (exactly the same as contactless payment using a credit or debit card does), and the terminal talks to the bank. There's absolutely no difference between using Apple Pay and a contactless card. It works even if the iPhone is in Airplane mode.
Well, just to be pedantic, there is one difference: As the chips in contactless cards are inherently passive, they are potentially susceptible to NFC sniffing. The iPhone doesn't beam anything out until you give if your fingerprint, and even then each transaction is given a unique code.

Last edited by Dylrob; 07-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote