Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
ladno
ladno began at the beginning.

Device: N-gage
Which device do you use?

Hi guys. Nice forum. This is my first post here.
I'm going to buy new device to read books wherever I want.
Currently I'm using Q-Reader on my Nokia N-gage to read the books, hovewer my eyes always tire, so I want to buy something better
Which device do you use to read e-books?
Please let me know. I want to know all your opinions which one would you recommend.
Thanks
ladno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome!

First of all: How much $$$ do you want to spend?
Next: What features can you not live without?

The wiki link at the top of the page has tons of info about all of the devices, so it's a good place to start. Post your answers to these questions, and I'm sure there will be plenty of helpful advice in response.

My own answers were: Pay as little as possible, in case it didn't work out for me.
And: Easy to use; a backlight for reading in the dark.

Mine is just a simple reader for $139, nothing fancy, with big buttons and a comfy handgrip. However, I have read here many times that some people's eyes tire easily using the darker screen. I have bad eye problems, many surgeries and treatments, and it has not been a problem for me to read for long periods of time.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i went through this decision recently. i really wanted an e-ink device as i get eyestrain on my computer, and i seriously looked at the kindle, the sony 505 and only learned of the cybook on this board.

what decided me is that i looked at formats and what books were available - the cybook reads mobipocket plus several more formats, and you can easily convert all sorts of formats to mobi using mobipocket creator. and if my device needed repair or i lost it, i could still read mobipocket files on my computer in the free mobipocket reader (a great program, btw) or could read them on a handheld. and that's part of what decided me - that if my reader were unavailable, i could still read all the books i had downloaded and paid for. i believe that would not be the case with a kindle or sony 505, although i could well be wrong.

and i must say that i love my cybook
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can check out the EReader Matrix to give a basis to start with. Once you figure out which features are most important to you, it will be easier to make your decision.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 PM   #5
Krytes
Enthusiast
Krytes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I got my new Hanlin V3 today. So far I'm very happy with it. I was looking for:
-Vizplex e-ink
-Long battery life (I didn't care about wifi)
-As non-DRM-oriented as possible
-Preferably with a released SDK (Software Development Kit)
-Decent native pdf support
-SD-card expandable memory (since my existing gadgets already use SD cards and I've got spares kicking around)
-Ability to create my own subfolders to organize a large book collection

What I like about it:
-It has all of the features that I was looking for above.
-Being able to create folders and subfolders is a lifesaver.
-I had no trouble at all reading the one pdf I tried. It resized (small portrait, medium portrait, large landscape) at the touch of a button. Pictures below, so you can judge the readability for yourself.
Graphical front cover
Medium-sized portrait
Large-sized landscape
-The interface is well-designed and powerful, although there were one or two cases where I felt that I had to press too many buttons to get a task done.
-It supports very many fonts, and you can easily add your own fonts/character sets to get support for pretty much any language, including Chinese/Japanese/Korean. I feel a sudden urge to upload something written in ancient runes, just because I can
-There are MANY options for configuring the appearance of your text files, from changing the size and orientation to inverting the text colors (white text on a black background).

What I don't like:
-Two of my text files, which I created myself and saved in Microsoft Notepad, were not recognised by the device. The Project Gutenberg files opened perfectly well, so maybe there's a quirk in the way Notepad saves text files.
-The page-turn speed still isn't great, although that can probably be said for any e-ink reader. It's less of an annoyance if I use the smallest or second-smallest font, so page turns are kept to a minimum.
-The contrast is good, but still not as good as good-quality paper. It looks as though I'm reading a high-quality newspaper. Again, a consequence of still-developing technology
-When the page changes, there's a (very) faint afterimage of the previous page still on the screen. I'm not sure whether that's Hanlin-specific or not. It's not enough to interfere with reading, though.
-The page-turn buttons (the ones on the side as well as the ones on the bottom) are very close to the edge of the reader. If I hold it in one hand and turn pages as I walk, my thumb is forced into a cramped and rather uncomfortable position.
-Availability. I'm in Canada, and the only reasonably-priced retailers I could find were in the Netherlands or China. I bought mine from the Netherlands, and it took nearly a month to arrive.

Last edited by Krytes; 07-17-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: accuracy
Krytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i went through this decision recently. i really wanted an e-ink device as i get eyestrain on my computer, and i seriously looked at the kindle, the sony 505 and only learned of the cybook on this board.

what decided me is that i looked at formats and what books were available - the cybook reads mobipocket plus several more formats, and you can easily convert all sorts of formats to mobi using mobipocket creator. and if my device needed repair or i lost it, i could still read mobipocket files on my computer in the free mobipocket reader (a great program, btw) or could read them on a handheld. and that's part of what decided me - that if my reader were unavailable, i could still read all the books i had downloaded and paid for. i believe that would not be the case with a kindle or sony 505, although i could well be wrong.

If you are talking about reading the books on your computer Calibre, and the Sony Software will allow you to do that, As for Kindle I believe Stanza will allow this if they are downloaded on your computer.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
what decided me is that i looked at formats and what books were available - the cybook reads mobipocket plus several more formats, and you can easily convert all sorts of formats to mobi using mobipocket creator. and if my device needed repair or i lost it, i could still read mobipocket files on my computer in the free mobipocket reader (a great program, btw) or could read them on a handheld. and that's part of what decided me - that if my reader were unavailable, i could still read all the books i had downloaded and paid for.

I got my Cybook at Christmas last year and the Mobipocket support was a key decision point for me as well. I already had a fair sized library of Mobipocket ebooks which I was reading on my iPAQ. I wanted a larger screen, e-ink, and the ability to continue reading my DRM Mobipocket books as well as any multiformat ebooks I already had. The Cybook was an easy choice for me.

I love it so much that I bought a 2nd one and gave the first to Hubby. He has recently admitted that he won't be going back to his PDA for reading either.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Cybook for me too. On my 2nd one now (I liked the 64MB version so much that I bought the 512MB version as soon as it appeared). Been using them since last November and am very pleased with them indeed. Mobi support was the main factor for me too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I recently bought a Hanlin v3. I'd narrowed my choices down to either the Cybook or the Hanlin and tbh I'm sure I'd have been happy with either. The thing that pushed me in favour of the Hanlin is that they're a little more GPL compliant than Bookeen and the Hanlin worked out a little cheaper.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I recently bought a Hanlin v3. I'd narrowed my choices down to either the Cybook or the Hanlin and tbh I'm sure I'd have been happy with either. The thing that pushed me in favour of the Hanlin is that they're a little more GPL compliant than Bookeen and the Hanlin worked out a little cheaper.
The latest Russian version of firmware for the Hanlin has now added Mobipocket support including DRM mobi. Check the Hanlin group for download.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The latest Russian version of firmware for the Hanlin has now added Mobipocket support including DRM mobi. Check the Hanlin group for download.

Dale
Yes, I already have this installed after reading about it in the firmware thread in the Hanlin forum. There's too much of a delay with page turns when using mobi files at the moment though.

Hopefully they'll speed it up in the next release
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #12
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I have a Kindle. I chose it because I really wanted search and dictionary lookup. None of the other readers at the time covered that to my satisfaction. I was very close to buying a Cybook but I was disappointed that it didn't let you search your books. When the Kindle came out and offered dictionary look up, book search and added Web & Wikipedia search on top of it, I was quite happy. At the time, I didn't see the wireless access as that big of a deal aside from what it added to the search functions but having used it for awhile now, I've gotten hooked on the instant gratification. The free sample chapters are great. Rather than pay for a book I may or may not end up enjoying, I get a sample and read it at my leisure on the Kindle. When I'm done, I can be reading the rest of the book within seconds. I just got another one for my husband. He commutes on the train and he loves that he can get another book right away even when he's in transit.

There are downsides, however. I don't like that Kindle books are so locked down. There are lots of other places to buy books and there is a hack that allows you to read DRM-ed Mobipocket books but I don't want to have to rely on it. There are also scripts that will strip the DRM off of the .azw books but who knows if Amazon will try to overcome that by changing the DRM a bit in later versions. I'm also not thrilled with the looks of the device but that's less important to me. Some people don't like the big buttons but I find it quite ergonomic. My husband disagrees but he's getting used to them. We'd also like folders for organizing our books. Sadly that's a feature few devices offer.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #13
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I have a Kindle. I chose it because I really wanted search and dictionary lookup. None of the other readers at the time covered that to my satisfaction. I was very close to buying a Cybook but I was disappointed that it didn't let you search your books.
I chose the Cybook, as I had a large library of Mobi format books already. I do use the dictionary lookup, and while searching would be useful, I like the fact that I can use my choice of fonts on the Cybook. I wouldn't personally use the Whispernet features, but I could be quite happy with a Kindle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #14
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

For me the question is simple: one reads when one has his books with him!

How I do this: for leisure I do use my Cybook for normal reading… all the time.
Then I have the same eBooks in my Pocketpc phone edition,,, so everywhere I am I can keep on reading… 2 minutes on a file, 5 minutes waiting to pay, 10 minutes in a movie interval…

And… with technical stuff I have two tabletpc’s and one umpc that let me read any PDF I want, anywhere, and also answer my email, go online, resolve any problem I have in my company or with any client.

So, anytime I have a second, I just have my books at hand and can enjoy a good reading (literature), or work and learn (tech stuff), because I have the content and way to access it with me all the time.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use a Sony Reader PRS-505. I think it's quite a nice device and quite ergonomic. It has the same screen as the Kindle, Gen3, and V3. The tools to convert content to use with it work quite well and are fairly easy to use. I do spend a lot of time using it to read and it's quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote