Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
How to shrink margin?

I had an interesting thing happen on my K2 (US 2.3) yesterday: "something happened" and suddenly all of the books I attempted to view had 1/2" left/right margins, rather than the default 1/4" margins. It didn't restore the original default until I did a Restart.

Implied by this is that the default margin can be modified. I'd be curious if anyone has figured out how to do this. For example it seems you could change it to 1/8" without any loss of readability or function, and be able to fit a little bit more text per line at a given text size.

For comparison, I happened to be reading the Sony PRS-800 user guide and it has a way to zero out the margin. Maybe all the Sony readers do this? Given how small these screens are to begin with, it seems odd that amazon would arbitrarily render a half inch strip of real estate unavailable for any use. Maybe it looks a little better that way, but it is subjective as to what the margins 'should' be...

Last edited by tomsem; 12-10-2009 at 07:23 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
mikeage
mikeage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Click on the aA button, and select words per line [or something like that]. It's a new option in 2.3
mikeage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Ah yes, I must have accidentally toggled that option ('fewer fewest default"). That feature was inherited from DX - where lines get really long particularly in Landscape. Not so useful on K2 where that's usually not the issue.

But I'd like to see 'more' added to these, to eliminate as much margin as possible without compromising function.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margin