Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Kindle 1 selling for outrageous prices on eBay

I've been waiting for a couple of weeks for Amazon to restock the $149 Refurbished Kindle 1.

Getting a bit tired of all this waiting, I figured that maybe I could get a used one at a cheaper price through eBay.

Imagine my surprise to see that they have been sold over the last 2 weeks at an average price of around $180!

I can see a single item that was sold for $100 + $8 shipping, and the next cheapest item was sold for $125 + $12.51 shipping. The rest of more than a hundred used Kindle 1's that have been sold over the last 2 weeks were actually sold more than $150!

In fact, I can see at least a dozen cases where it sold for more than $219, which is how much it costs to buy a refurbished Kindle 2 from Amazon.

Considering that Amazon had sold their refurbished Kindle 1 for $149 with free shipping (and would most probably do so again once restocked), I simply don't understand why people would pay such outrageous prices for a used one.

Is this simply a good example of how eBay sellers trick their buyers into paying more than they should?
Or do these buyers know something that I don't?

P.S Hmm... looks like the refurbished Kindle 2's have sold out too. Maybe this is what's driving the prices up?
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
angelbleu, its greed, pure and simple.

They know some will buy at that price, so that s what they are selling them for.

I would wait. Amazon will get them back.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

They know some will buy at that price, so that s what they are selling them for.

Alot of them sell in a regular style auction for more than $150. Hard to call that greed... just what people bid.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Greed or market forces - demand outstrips supply.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
angelbleu
Enthusiast
angelbleu began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry Bold
Yes, I understand that it must be that the demand really is so high, since many of these items have 10+ bids.

But it's hard to imagine what these bidders are thinking... I would be willing to pay maybe $100 for a used Kindle 1 (with around $10 for shipping), but no way more than that.

I mean, $200? For a used Kindle 1? It doesn't make any sense to me.
angelbleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
No, it's profiteering.
Someone buys 20+ Kindles from Amazon, drying up the supply, then sells on ebay at an inflated price. I see it all the time with computer parts that go on sale.

At least that's my theory.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
some people just have way too much money and time on their hands
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:

Comments like this are beyond the pale...on one hand there is the DEFENDING the high prices of these readers at new retail, but that is OK when purchased from a "retailer". But let people make a few bucks or offer an product to people who otherwise might not have a way to buy and those small sellers are "greedy".

Last what business is it of YOURS what people choose to do with their money. In fact there is a chance these people prefer to buy from an individual and not some Wallyzon sort of place.

Never ceases to amaze me how readily some folks are to tag an someone without knowing ANY facts from the source...then again that is how we ended up with The Shrub.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Comments like this are beyond the pale...on one hand there is the DEFENDING the high prices of these readers at new retail, but that is OK when purchased from a "retailer". But let people make a few bucks or offer an product to people who otherwise might not have a way to buy and those small sellers are "greedy".

Last what business is it of YOURS what people choose to do with their money. In fact there is a chance these people prefer to buy from an individual and not some Wallyzon sort of place.

Never ceases to amaze me how readily some folks are to tag an someone without knowing ANY facts from the source...then again that is how we ended up with The Shrub.
Amazon was offering these at a reasonable price.

Greedy people bought them and are trying to turn an easy profit.

How smart is it to pay more from a perfect stranger instead of staying with an established business with excellent customer service?

The op asked a question. Your flaming response is way out of line to the answer.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Peace, people. Please don't get personal on this!

mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Have the Kindle 1's really been out of stock for a couple weeks? I wonder when they'll get back in.

Also, even if the refurbished Kindle 2s are OOS, you can still buy a new one. You can't buy a used Kindle 1.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
I think it's called capitalism normally! Supply and demand determines the sale price. Greed and self interest also play a strong role in the growth of capitalism, so we get the good and bad eg. Enron, recent finance sector collapse, Kindle sellers on ebay, Apple's.

Personally I am waiting for a Kindle 3 before making a move to any new device. I'll check that out, check the nook out and check out any Apple tablet should it be available hehe

Last edited by fugazied; 11-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Doesn't everyone try to make money? Greed? Could be. If you don't like the price, don't buy. I just laugh at the silly people who bid on these things without checking how much they would have to pay elsewhere. But that's their choice.

Me, I shop around to get best price.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbleu View Post
Yes, I understand that it must be that the demand really is so high, since many of these items have 10+ bids.

But it's hard to imagine what these bidders are thinking... I would be willing to pay maybe $100 for a used Kindle 1 (with around $10 for shipping), but no way more than that.

I mean, $200? For a used Kindle 1? It doesn't make any sense to me.
Maybe they're thinking, "FFS, Amazon, I want a Kindle, not an 'international Kindle' that I'll have to pay more for" or "FFS Amazon, if you won't sell to my country, I'll just buy on ebay!"

... ie, maybe this is partly due to international buyers.

That said, people often a) don't do their homework and b) get overexcited on ebay auctions. Check out popular gaming consoles and games - they often sell at a higher price secondhand than the cheaper electronics shops are selling them new.

People are odd sometimes. But then, maybe they consider the extra money a payment for the excitement of the auction experience *shrug*
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
SanAntone
Connoisseur
SanAntone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and Scribe
I was surprised at what I sold my Kindle 2 for last week (I bought a DX). I sold it on ebay...listed as used.... for $252 dollars. $7 less than a brand new one. I was shocked, but pleased.
SanAntone is offline   Reply With Quote