Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
siskiou
siskiou began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which Device has what I want?

I'd like to use it as an ereader, for internet surfing and email, watching videos, preferably in avi format, so I don't have to convert them all to another format, but having to do that would not be a deal breaker.

I'd like a somewhat larger screen, so it doesn't have to be pocket size.
Good battery life, and user replaceable battery if possible, plus expandable storage.

And the main thing: I can't afford much, so it'll probably have to be something used that's been around a while.
Does something like that exist?

I've researched a bit, but every time I think I've found it, there are some problems reported that make me step back and start looking again.

The ones I've considered are: Dell Axim v50/51, HP Ipaq 210/211 (probably can't afford it), Palm TX (a little too outdated for internet use, I think), Archos 5 (sounds very unreliable), Smartq 7 (same as Archos).
siskiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
For most of us here, reading is our number one task. I'm sure that we'd like all those other things, but they require compromises that damage its ability to read. Anyway, what you are looking for is not really an e-reader, but a multi-purpose device that runs some type of ebook software.

Probably the best one in the size you are mention above is the iPod Touch (or Iphone). At the other extreme, you mention that you'd like something larger and that portability isn't an issue. In this case you might want to look at the upcoming Crunchpad from TechChrunch. I'm guessing it'll be around $300 to $400 and it'll have most of what you want. The tradeoff here is that it'll only be useful where you have a wi-fi signal. I'm not sure if it will even be able to read local books, or if it'll only work with online connections.

Finally, if the $149 for the iPod touch is too much, you will have to go used (ie the PalmTX) and put up with outdated.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I suggest a used Nokia 770 (good for ebooks, ok for web, not sure about video) or a used Nokia N800/N810 (good for everything). The 800x400 screen is well worth any extra you pay over other used devices. Note that the only full-screen ebook reader is FBReader, which does not support DRM (encryption).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
siskiou

Thanks!
I swing between just getting a dedicated ereader, and a multi-purpose device that I can read on. Haven't decided yet.

Can you tell me where I can find an iPod touch for $149, please?
The ones I've seen are quite a bit more expensive.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
siskiou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I suggest a used Nokia 770 (good for ebooks, ok for web, not sure about video) or a used Nokia N800/N810 (good for everything). The 800x400 screen is well worth any extra you pay over other used devices. Note that the only full-screen ebook reader is FBReader, which does not support DRM (encryption).
Thanks!
I'll take a look at the Nokias for specs and prices.
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiou View Post
Can you tell me where I can find an iPod touch for $149, please?
The ones I've seen are quite a bit more expensive.
Looks like I got my nano and touch prices mixed up, but the iPod Touch isn't that much more. Its only $199:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQwMTQ
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Looks to me like what you really want is a cheap/used netbook...
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
siskiou

I'm keeping my eye out for new developments, but in the meantime, I've been offered a freebie by an acquaintance: an old Dell Axim x30.
Once I get it, I'll see what a handheld is like, and what reading and internet feel like on a device like that, and it'll give me time to make up my mind and maybe save up for something newer.