Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Sources of books in ePub format

Hi

It looks like ePub is getting a momentum, so I start to wonder where the books in this format are available from. There's a number of threads in these forums regarding book sources, however all those discussions tend to talk about all formats

Hence my question to the community: where are you going to get your books in ePub format?

Here is the list of sources I am aware of:
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
FeedBooks offers ALL their books in ePub format.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #3
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
It looks like ePub is getting a momentum, so I start to wonder where the books in this format are available from. There's a number of threads in these forums regarding book sources, however all those discussions tend to talk about all formats

Hence my question to the community: where are you going to get your books in ePub format?
Should we take a moment, as this is just getting started, to separate the sources of general (unprotected) ePub books (which can be read by Adobe DE on Win, Mac and the Sony 505; FBReader on a wide variety of platforms; and Stanza on the iPhone), as opposed to Adobe-protected ePub (ADEPT) files which can only be read by Adobe DE?

With the ever-growing popularity of FBReader (being the only good reader software on some platforms) and all the new iPhone owners, I expect this would be a relavent difference for a lot of people.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Jack, you can read DRM protected ePub and PDF on a 505 with the new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jack, you can read DRM protected ePub and PDF on a 505 with the new firmware.
I understand that, and I thought I made the same point in my post -- sorry if it was not clear. My real point, however, is that while the ePub file format is standardized, the DRM is not. Therefore, lots of people who have software capable of reading ePub files (like FBReader and Stanza) will not be able to read files from some of these sources, even though they are labeled "ePub."

Wouldn't it be great if the sources carrying books that could be used by any ePub reader were easily identified?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
FeedBooks offers ALL their books in ePub format.
From their blog item I'd gather that it's only about RSS feeds... However from a quick look at the site itself, it seems that they offer ePub downloads for their books as well...
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
From their blog item I'd gather that it's only about RSS feeds... However from a quick look at the site itself, it seems that they offer ePub downloads for their books as well...
We've recently added support for RSS to ePub, but we've had books in ePub for maybe 9 months now.
All of our books distributed to the iPhone through Stanza are in ePub.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
I am making a list over at ePubBooks.com of all the places that have ePub books available.

Please do let me know if I have missed any (the current book over at Tor will not be available after the 27th July, if they continue to provide ePub I will include them).
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecook View Post
I am making a list over at ePubBooks.com of all the places that have ePub books available.

Please do let me know if I have missed any (the current book over at Tor will not be available after the 27th July, if they continue to provide ePub I will include them).
Actually, TOR used to offer an ePub output for their free stories on the new Tor.com but for some reason, they removed it.

The files are still available, for example: http://hbpub.vo.llnwd.net/o16/video/...onthefarm.epub
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote