Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #76
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology, so yes, I can read Middle Egyptian (the language that the hieroglyphic script is used for). By no means well yet, but certainly the basics. Note, by the way, that "hieroglyphic" is the adjective - the noun is "hieroglyph". So, it is a "hieroglyphic script", but the symbols themselves are simply "hieroglyphs".

Should anyone have a desire to learn the language, the standard book to learn from is James P. Allen's "Middle Egyptian". It's even available as an (expensive) ebook .

Color me impressed!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 PM   #77
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
I'm studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology...
From earlier posts, I've surmised that you've been in IT for about 30 years, so I estimate that you would be somewhere in your 50's right now. In the Netherlands, doing a 4 year university level course (bachelor+master) in parttime would take at least 8 years, as most universities assume that a 4 year course entails 40 hour work weeks, and you can't spend more than 20 on study when having a full time job.

So, you'd be in your late 50's, maybe even over 60 by the time you finish.

I can't imagine a career move at such an age; therefore I assume that you're doing this purely for your own fun?

Nothing strange about that, by the way. I've studied Egypt extensively as part for my history classes in high school, eventually specializing in the Gizeh Pyramids; as far as you can "specialize" in high school, that is. I could see myself studying ancient Egypt, Greece Norse mythology, or medieval stuff or something like that, just for the fun of it

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your guess at both my age and my motivation are absolutely correct; it's purely for personal interest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #79
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your guess at both my age and my motivation are absolutely correct; it's purely for personal interest.
Well then. Keep going If you can begin to specialize as soon as you hit the master phase, and get permission to do start a research master, I'd be thinking to tack a promotion on the end of it. (It's actually what I intend to do with my IT master, if everything works out.)

Over here, companies are screaming their heads off that "people over 40 are too old, because they are not motivated to learn new things." If that is true, and people are really that unmotivated, that's stupid. Nobody should expect that they can start working at 21-24 after college or university and then do the same work, forever unchanging, till 65-67. It's not 1950 anymore.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-15-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've enjoyed learning new things throughout my life - an eternal student .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #81
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've enjoyed learning new things throughout my life - an eternal student .
Don't remind me. Looking back at everything, I came to the conclusion that I should have chosen a path which would allow me to get paid for studying; thus, I should have gone into academia (and the field doesn't even matter that much...).

Not enough chance to study stuff in corporate life.

Oh, eh... yeah. We're off-topic
Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #82
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Looking at the history of talking movies, the first movie with sound was the Dickson Experimental Sound Film from 1894 or 1895. The sound was on a cylinder recording, and there was no attempt to keep the sound synchronized with the film. Later projects used gramophone records and attempting to keep the film and record synchronized. The patent for sound stored on film was granted in 1907.

The oldest person in the world was born in 1898. Thus, no one alive today was a child when silent movies were the wave of the future.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #83
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
First commercial talkie film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Looking at the history of talking movies, the first movie with sound was the Dickson Experimental Sound Film from 1894 or 1895. The sound was on a cylinder recording, and there was no attempt to keep the sound synchronized with the film. Later projects used gramophone records and attempting to keep the film and record synchronized. The patent for sound stored on film was granted in 1907.

The oldest person in the world was born in 1898. Thus, no one alive today was a child when silent movies were the wave of the future.
The first commercial talkie film was the Jazz Singer in 1927. It didn't reach Japan until 1930.

I was watching silent films in Japan in 1922. So far as I know, I'm still alive.

By the way, I still have not stopped learning.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-15-2014 at 10:35 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:08 PM   #84
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The first commercial talkie film was the Jazz Singer in 1927. It didn't reach Japan until 1930.

I was watching silent films in Japan in 1922. So far as I know, I'm still alive.

By the way, I still have not stopped learning.
I didn't doubt that you could be old enough to have watched silent movies. But silent movies were not the wave of the future in 1922.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #85
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

For some reason, I just don't believe you're around 100 years old
Old 02-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #86
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
For some reason, I just don't believe you're around 100 years old
I don't believe it either. Almost everyone I knew in 1930 died before 1945. I was drafted in 1930, went to a POW camp in 1945 in Russia, back to Japan in 1950 and on to America in 1955.

I still feel exactly the same as I did in 1930 except that I only speak English today and only spoke Japanese and Chinese back then.

I do prefer the eBooks of today versus the print books back then. Their fonts can be adjusted to my own, specific preferences.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:19 AM   #87
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

LOL, man... This is too funny. Drafted in 1930? That would put your birth at around 1910-1912, making you over 100. And you still feel the same as when you were 20?

I want what you're smoking.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #88
sirmaru
Wizard

18 !

Quote:
LOL, man... This is too funny. Drafted in 1930? That would put your birth at around 1910-1912, making you over 100. And you still feel the same as when you were 20?

I was drafted at 18. By the way, I don't see doctors, take no drugs of any sort, and just try to read as many eBooks on history and biography as I can.

Most of my time is spent in a rocker by my bay window or at my PC.

When Jesus calls me Home, I go willingly.

By the way, internet forums are all BS and any of us could be male or female and age 10 to age 110. All we are here is what we post. Its all fantasy land.

Last edited by sirmaru; 02-16-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #89
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

It's entirely possible that sirmaru is a little over one hundred. It's not an extraordinary claim. 0.0173% of Americans are over 100, or a bit over 50,000 people.

If he was claiming to be twenty years older, that would be an extraordinary claim.

Please remember the posting guidelines, especially rule 1.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #90
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's entirely possible that sirmaru is a little over one hundred. It's not an extraordinary claim. 0.0173% of Americans are over 100, or a bit over 50,000 people.

If he was claiming to be twenty years older, that would be an extraordinary claim.

Please remember the posting guidelines, especially rule 1.
Of course it's not an impossible claim, but feeling exactly the same as he did at the time he was 18 is. If that is possible, I'd sign to become 100+ years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
By the way, internet forums are all BS and any of us could be male or female and age 10 to age 110. All we are here is what we post. Its all fantasy land.
That is more than true enough, of course. Can't argue with that.