Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which books would you prefer for the December 2013 MobileRead Book Club selection?
Dubliners by James Joyce 17 43.59%
The Mysterious Mr. Quin by Agatha Christie 13 33.33%
The Unreal and the Real, Selected Stories of Ursula K. Le Guin Vol. 2 by Ursula K. Le Guin 5 12.82%
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 9 23.08%
The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury 10 25.64%
The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling 12 30.77%
Tales From the Jazz Age by F. Scott Fitzgerald 11 28.21%
10 Wonderful Short Stories to Read For Free Online by various authors 9 23.08%
Limits by Larry Niven 6 15.38%
Shifu, You'll Do Anything for a Laugh by Mo Yan 6 15.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2013, 06:17 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Dubliners is the one book in the list I refuse to read.
Maybe you'll have time for a reread of Ethan Frome or Lolita?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
There's still no thread for Dubliners?
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Geduld, Geduld, junger Herr. It will open at December 20.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #19
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
What? In twenty days?

medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I voted for Dubliners so I'll definitely be reading it, but I'm pretty surprised it won so easily. Was it the only free one or something?

Anyway - will catch you all back here after the 20th.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe you'll have time for a reread of Ethan Frome or Lolita?
I read Ethan Frome when I was in school. Awful book. And as for Lolita, I won't be reading it because I am not a pedophile.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I voted for Dubliners so I'll definitely be reading it, but I'm pretty surprised it won so easily. Was it the only free one or something?

Anyway - will catch you all back here after the 20th.
No, Sherlock Holmes and Jungle Book were both available for free right here at MR. I am actually surprised that Dubliners won, I thought for sure it would have been one of those two. Available for free and just the sort of books that people settle on.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #23
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I read Ethan Frome when I was in school. Awful book. And as for Lolita, I won't be reading it because I am not a pedophile.
Maybe you give re-reading Ethan Frome; everyone else seemed to like it. But, to each his/her own.

I don't believe there is any MR club requirement that you be a pedophile to read Lolita. So read away.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Maybe you give re-reading Ethan Frome; everyone else seemed to like it. But, to each his/her own.

I don't believe there is any MR club requirement that you be a pedophile to read Lolita. So read away.
You can't go against your principles and actually read a book you think should be banned. Think of the awkwardness of discovering that you had been ranting against one of the great books of the 20th century.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
What? In twenty days?

With the book club the discussion starts on the 20th of the month so that everyone has a chance to finish the book at their own pace before discussion begins. It just means that those who read faster should wait before beginning the book and those who read slower can start right away.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sheesh....that's all I've got to say....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sheesh....that's all I've got to say....
So. Between you, me, and Jon; who do you suppose will be the first to finish Dubliners? You know some of its characters show up later in our all-time favorite book, Ulysses.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Awful book. Not even worth the first read.

Quote:
There's no requirement, but I do think there may be some tendencies if it's enjoyed.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-04-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #29
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
There's no requirement, but I do think there may be some tendencies if it's enjoyed.

As you haven't read "Lolita", how can you possibly make such a judgement? And by the way, it is possible to admire and be moved by a book without necessarily "enjoying" it in the sense you are presumably suggesting.

I suggest you save your comments on books for ones that you have actually read.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post

As you haven't read "Lolita", how can you possibly make such a judgement? And by the way, it is possible to admire and be moved by a book without necessarily "enjoying" it in the sense you are presumably suggesting.

I suggest you save your comments on books for ones that you have actually read.
It is possible to know that the subject of a book is one that should be left very much alone without having to have read the book.