Notices

Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #91
UnSatisfied
UnSatisfied began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX M92
Well, enough is enough. I've finally decided to describe my
own experience with ArtaTech.

I bought a BOOX M92 in a local shop in Poland, from a local
representative of ArtaTech, about 3 months ago.

1. The device was advertised as coming with a special "gift coupon"
for a free certain book from a certain Polish online bookstore.
Indeed, when I opened the box, the coupon was there, but when I tried
to use it, I found that its validity had expired more than a month
earlier. A quick look at the official ArtaTech's web page revealed
that in the meantime they changed the "promotion" - another "book
title" was there (but the "bookstore" remained the same).
So I spoke to the local ArtaTech's representative and they told me
they were sorry but the "coupon" comes directly from ArtaTech (enclosed
in the M92 box).
So I spoke to ArtaTech directly. They told me the following:
Yes, my gift coupon is not valid any more and they don't care (I will
not get a new one for their current promotion) - had I bought the
device directly from their web page, instead of buying it from one of
their local representatives, I would get the new gift coupon with it.

2. More or less in the same time I noticed that ArtaTech advertises
their BOOX M92 as coming with TWO tts voices. One "American English"
and another one of user's choice. A quick look into my device revealed
that there is "Polish" only (and nobody asked me if I wanted to choose
any other language).
So I spoke to ArtaTech again (directly). They told me the following:
Yes, I do not have "English" and they don't care (I will not get any
new voices for free) - had I bought the device directly from their web
page, instead of buying it from one of their local representatives, I
would get "English", as well.

3. And here's my newest "experience" with ArtaTech.
I've recently noticed that the joystick's button is
broken. Electrically everything is fine, just the external plastic
piece is "split" into two parts. So I emailed ArtaTech stating that the
device is under warranty and asking them to send me that tiny plastic
part so that I could replace it myself in 5 minutes. Their reply was:
WE DO NOT SELL REPLACEMENT PARTS - the device can be repaired under
warranty conditions.
So I emailed them a copy of my warranty card asking them again to send
me that small replacement part. Their reply was again:
WE DO NOT SELL REPLACEMENT PARTS - the device can be repaired under
warranty conditions.
Well, they really expect me to send them the whole device just to get
that tiny piece replaced. Now, take the time needed to ship the device
in both directions (especially if you're not in Poland) plus the time
they "reserve" themselves for the "repairing" (they do not specify any
maximal time in their warranty conditions, so you might expect something
like up to 30 days which is quite usual in Poland) ... and you'll know
how much they really care that you can actually use your device
instead of waiting for it.
They also explicitly warned me that if I dare to open the device
myself, and repair that funny button myself, this will void my warranty.

Note a recent report in which someone was told that the US Mail will NOT ship devices with Li-Ion batteries inside.
That means that you may need to "remove" the battery if you want to send
your device for repairing.
Well, no problem with the eReader store, but voids your ArtaTech warranty.
If something breaks, you may not be able to ship your device unless you
remove the battery. But if you open your device and remove it, ArtaTech
will void your warranty - there are really clever guys in ArtaTech.

Note also one more thing. They give you 1 year warranty time (while
the eReader store gives 2, for example).
What happens if you meet problems afterwards?
Well, they "do not sell replacement parts". They will require you
to deliver your whole device to them. So you will need to pay for the
delivery of the whole device and then pay their "repair costs". Now
that's another clever move of them. If anything tiny gets broken (like
that plastic button) you will have to pay $$$ to get it "repaired".

Now, compare their behavior, what concerns service, with another European
distributor: the eReader store from Germany.
Here's a recent post in which a customer got a new power supply without any delay.
And another recent post in which a customer got the "full joystick module" without any delay.
That's what I call "good service".
And I do remember another posts in which people reported that they bought
additional "spare" parts from the eReader store without any problems.
Do not also forget that Booxtor (working for this German distributor)
provides a lot of support online, here in this forum.

Last, but no least. If you still consider buying anything from
ArtaTech, be aware that they do not care about any regular firmware
updates and you will not be able to install Booxtor's firmware
(because ArtaTech explicitly blocks it).

Well, I've got two advertising slogans for them (feel free to use it
at no license costs):

ArtaTech once and you'll never forget us!
ArtaTech - tell your friends about us!

Last edited by UnSatisfied; 02-27-2013 at 03:09 PM.
UnSatisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #92
Abayo
Abayo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly
I can understand your feelings...
I also bought my ebook reader from ArtaTech and at first everything looked fine.
After 2 days of testing I found these issues:

- I couldn´t find any book in the polish bookstore except books with polish language --->not good with polish

- In addition to my Reader I only got an USB-cable (but still 195 euro with shipping costs (9euro))

- there were 4 reader-programs installed (FBReader, pdfReader, CoolReader and a pdfReader(beta/testversion/I don´t know)). Only the beta-Reader was able to display my eBooks.

- The told problem with the firmware

Because of these problems I now gave my new bookreader back to ArtaTech. For the refunding process I had to send the unused reader back to ArtaTech (already worked with the reader and not able to restore a "facility setting"), but if the parcel goes to the post office then they won´t get it from there (why??!). So if there is no one in the company and the parcel goes to the post office -> bad luck.

BUT i have to say that until now the return procedure is working fine and I am waiting for my money atm. Also the support from ArtaTech is very friendly and fast with replies (maybe because I bought from the website?).
Abayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #93
gris
Connoisseur
gris began at the beginning.

Device: m92, sonyt2,
yes the problem with the post was with me too. They asked me to use a delivery service, not the state service, a private firm, which i did. This was because their national post service is not the most trustful, and when something gets lost they won't be blamed.

I find it sad, when other sellers of the onyx are talked bad, for there are not so many. Sure to recommend bookstore is good, but would find it fair to be objective, it reads as if the arta device is unuasable.

the contact with them worked very fine, quick email reply.

Last edited by gris; 02-28-2013 at 04:23 AM.
gris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #94
Abayo
Abayo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD Firefly
You are right Gris, it is not good to talk bad about other stores. And the device is not unusable. My issues with the software could have happened with any other book too, I think. And I was pretty impressed by the device so that I will buy it elsewhere again!
Also if you have bought the reader from the online store from ArtaTech the support is good and they try to help you (This is the feeling I got).

In my case I am a bit disappointed by ArtaTech, because a new, nearly 200€ bookreader should be able to use all installed programs to read an ebook. And the firmware-update policy is also not good in my opinion.

But like I told the support up until now was ok.
Abayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #95
Masuka
Masuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, iPad Pro
In my opinion, it is a very impressive device. It meets most of my requirements (the main one being the ability to read PDFs), and is a huge improvement over the large-screen e-ink devices I've tried in the past. What I am not happy with, though, is ArtaTech's less-than-stellar level of support.

Since it arrived, the device has only responded to input from the stylus if it is held at a weird an unusable angle. I emailed the ArtaTech service team asking if they could send me a replacement stylus. They requested that I send them a video demonstrating the problem, which I did. It then took them nine days to come back to me, saying that they wanted me to return the whole device.

While I was waiting for a technical response, I got fed up with the situation and raised an online ticket, expressing my dissatisfaction and asking for a refund. An after-sales support guy apologised and said that a new stylus would be sent. This never happened, though, because the service team intervened and told him that they wanted the device back.

Things like work, and ArtaTech's requirement that returns be done via courier, make shipping the device back to Poland very difficult for me, which is why I wanted to try a replacement stylus first. If this didn't resolve the issue, then both styluses would have gone back with the device when I sent it off for repair. For whatever reason, they didn't seem willing to do this.

Because I'm not happy with the situation, and because I doubt that ArtaTech will get the device repaired and returned to me in a timely fashion, I'm shipping it back (at my own expense) for a full refund.

It is a good device, though, and I will probably order another one from somewhere else once I get my money back from ArtaTech.
Masuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #96
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Old discussion, the price + the SUPPORT are important. The better address : http://ereader-store.eu (Booxtor). See, in this the forum, the quality of Booxtor 's support.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #97
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Stoutly agreed: for an M92, Booxtor is the only way to go.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #98
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
@chexmix, so i assume Booxtor from ereader-store solved your charging issue!
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #99
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolansky View Post
@chexmix, so i assume Booxtor from ereader-store solved your charging issue!
Not yet -- I'm going to ship it to the store & I am confident they will take care of it.

G
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #100
Masuka
Masuka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
Stoutly agreed: for an M92, Booxtor is the only way to go.
Yeah, I ordered one from him after sending my ArtaTech one back.
Masuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #101
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
additionally, Booxtor's Onyx Model's will get the very interesting acapela TTS much more versatile than the ivona TTS, even dialects, accents and mood's - check out the Will-Character of a US-Voice section - Will as happy, sad, upclose, faraway, as a bad guy, and as an old man also funny Will as little creature, by the way check out the cool US-voice 'Micah.

as well as english with different accents like english with an arabic accent, with an indian or australian accent for example.

see: http://www.acapela-group.com/text-to...tive-demo.html

Last edited by Dolansky; 05-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #102
Lindemann
Lindemann began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX M92; i62 and many traditional books
Ok, but newest firmware for M92 from Arta Tech is 1.8 20130407 so why did u install 1.7 version?
Lindemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #103
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm totally new to this category of readers so if I may ask a couple basic questions:
Does the Onyx support Epub ?
What type of OS does it have ?
Can it be purchased in stores (not online I mean)
This brand is from what country ?

Thanks

Last edited by Quexos; 05-12-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #104
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I'm totally new to this category of readers so if I may ask a couple basic questions:
Does the Onyx support Epub ?
What type of OS does it have ?
Can it be purchased in stores (not online I mean)
This brand is from what country ?

Thanks
Does the Onyx support Epub ? Yes and many other formats though there are minor shortcomings, but it supports pdf way better. For epubs you may want to check "Coolreader and FBreader Bugs and Wishlist" thread
What type of OS does it have ? Linux
Can it be purchased in stores (not online I mean)? Don't know, but everybody agrees that Booxtor (Germany, ereader-store.de) gives the best support
This brand is from what country ? China,but is has active presence in Germany, Poland and Russia, where its distributors are.

Last edited by Feher; 05-12-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #105
Ayla7
Connoisseur
Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.Ayla7 has rectified all his or her action issues with transformational deconfliction.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD
I use my Onyx Boox i62HD to read both epubs and pdfs (with the pdfreader), and it works well for epubs too. I can use the dictionary, highlight/anotate text... The only thing I miss for epubs in the pdfreader is being able to change the margins, but maybe this option will be implemented in the next firmware...
Ayla7 is offline   Reply With Quote