Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I have both. I can read on my Sony, or on my Droid. If I'm out and need to kill some time, I'll read on the Droid. If I know I'm going to be reading, I use the Sony.
That is basically how I do it, though I often carry the Irex with me. My phone can do everything. An iPad is too big and heavy for full mobility and too underpowered to replace my laptop. So I really don't see any need for such a device at this moment. And suitable color readers that can do everything are still 2 years off.

In the end it depends on how much you read -- is a special purpose device worth it?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #17
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
That is basically how I do it, though I often carry the Irex with me. My phone can do everything. An iPad is too big and heavy for full mobility and too underpowered to replace my laptop. So I really don't see any need for such a device at this moment. And suitable color readers that can do everything are still 2 years off.

In the end it depends on how much you read -- is a special purpose device worth it?
Depends what you read, too. I read five to 10 books a week, plus lots of news. I want my news updated asap, especially stock market info. I prefer nonfiction books, which often include images, maps and such. I'm on my third or fourth book this week. I'm in the middle of "The Worst Hard Time," which includes photos. Do I need to see those photos? No. But if I can, I'd rather. With my investment and business books, I need the graphs and such.

For me, dedicated e-readers fall short. I still have my Kindle, but I read it now only when I have to charge my iPad. I would like a tablet with longer battery life.

Many say iPad isn't for real readers. All iPad owners aren't readers, of course. There are a good number of us who are, though. That's why we're here, instead of on YouTube or whatever.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dream88 View Post
Some people like the device contains all the functions they need,like ipod,make phone calls,messages,games,music and E-reader,but others just like the only function of a device,like a E-book.

So,which one do you like?
Yes.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Depends what you read, too. I read five to 10 books a week, plus lots of news. I want my news updated asap, especially stock market info. I prefer nonfiction books, which often include images, maps and such. I'm on my third or fourth book this week. I'm in the middle of "The Worst Hard Time," which includes photos. Do I need to see those photos? No. But if I can, I'd rather. With my investment and business books, I need the graphs and such.

For me, dedicated e-readers fall short. I still have my Kindle, but I read it now only when I have to charge my iPad. I would like a tablet with longer battery life.

Many say iPad isn't for real readers. All iPad owners aren't readers, of course. There are a good number of us who are, though. That's why we're here, instead of on YouTube or whatever.
I agree that the iPad does have its strong points. And if you "want it now" it is not a bad choice. But for me it is still too far from what I would want in a color reader. I will wait for new screen technologies and a thinner, much lighter device with a very small bezel.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #20
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I agree that the iPad does have its strong points. And if you "want it now" it is not a bad choice. But for me it is still too far from what I would want in a color reader. I will wait for new screen technologies and a thinner, much lighter device with a very small bezel.
I figure I'll get my money's worth out of iPad and upgrade when something better comes along. Whether or not we buy iPads, we all benefit because it's driving tablet development. I'm looking forward to better devices.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #21
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I'm in the middle of "The Worst Hard Time," which includes photos. Do I need to see those photos? No. But if I can, I'd rather. With my investment and business books, I need the graphs and such.
That was an incredible book.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #22
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
That was an incredible book.
Yup, I'm loving it. If you have recommendations for similar books, please let me know.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 AM   #23
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
All-round device,or specialized E-book?
Depends on the subject.
I am about to purchase self training kit for windows 7.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I prefer one-function devices usually. With an all-in-one thingy, you can't take a picture of someone playing with it, you can't read excerpts from a book on the phone, you can let your friend use the music player while you browse the net... I'm not against functions added to a device that already does its main function properly, but I don't want something to do everything.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
Enraptured
Connoisseur
Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Enraptured has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Touch
I wouldn't mind extra functions, but I want reading to be the device's primary function. I don't need games, music, a browser, and so on - my Nook has all three of those things, but I hardly ever use them. If I need the internet or want to play a game I'll be much more comfortable sitting at my computer anyway, and if I want to listen to music my MP3 player is less cumbersome. I often read several novels a week; I don't want to do all that reading on a device not designed for it. The extra stuff is nice, but not essential for me, while things like a reflective display, a medium-sized screen (smaller than an iPad, bigger than a phone; I think the 5- and 6-inch readers are ideal), and controls that easily navigate through ebooks are essential.
Enraptured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #26
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Single Device or Many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I would rather have 5 devices that each do their own job perfectly for my needs than one single device that I'm not fully satisfied with.
I agree. I have a camera because I want better pictures than my phone takes. I also don't enjoy reading books on my phone, so I need an e-reader too. (Being able to access the internet on my G1 is pretty cool though.)
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm going to have to go with specialized e-book reader. I do read quite a lot, however, and I can see how some people would prefer an all-in-one device, especially if they are not heavy readers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, it's just all a matter of what a person needs.

I'm a light reader, so my K1 purchase was kind of silly, and it's not something I'll use once I have a nice tablet device. I don't need e-ink or 2 week battery life to read 30-60 minutes a day 3 or 4 days a week.

I hardly ever take pictures, so I've not bothered replacing my digital camera that broke and just use my cellphone.

Point being, if someone is an enthusiast in a hobby--they're more likely to need/prefer dedicated devices that are designed to do that one task as well as possible. Where as someone who's more casually into a hobby will likely be fine/prefer something that does other tasks they spend more time on as well.

Though their are numerous exceptions of course, as people have posted about reading 5-10 books a week on their iPads etc.

As I've noted before, I'm really into movies, tv, sports, video games, goofing online etc. and all of those I spend a lot more time on than I do reading--if you discount work related reading which I'd never do on an e-ink device due to slow page refresh and crappy annotation ability.

So I'm dying for a nice iPad like tablet with an 11-12" screen that I can do my work reading on, do my reading of novels before sleeping on, read magazines, newspapers and comics (all of which stink on eink devices IMO) and spend most of the time on it goofing online, watching streaming video, playing games etc.

Others are just avid readers and want a device that does nothing but display e-books on a paper-like screen. To each their own.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-22-2010 at 03:41 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #29
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Hmm... I've used my t/x to work spreadsheets and word documents, I watch movies on it while I'm on the treadmill and use it for audiobooks and music on my commute, read books on it whenever I have a free second, it's my gps device when I'm lost and keeps me out of trouble by keeping my appointments and reminding me that my anniversary is coming up! Palm did me a huge disservice by abandoning the pda market!

It does all those things adequately but not perfectly. I prefer reading on my nook instead of the Palm.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #30
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
single purpose

I am a heavy reader so I like having a specific reading device.

I also like having a general one so when I am not going to sit down and read for a few hours, so if its only for a few minutes a general device would be fine.

I think this is why even though we have all in one phones that can double as a mp3 player we still have plain old mp3 players that sell. Same with gaming systems like the PS3, Wii and Xbox.

I think a majority of people will go with a general device, with serious readers and perhaps students would go with dedicated use device.

Amy

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote