Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
seawhite
E Ink Lover
seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.seawhite got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle DX white, Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard, K4NT
Kindle DX back to life?

Amazon brings back Kindle DX on their website, $299

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wire.../dp/B002GYWHSQ

Will they release new version in the future?
seawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
This is still my #1 ebook reader!

Cheers
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Too bad they did not take the time to add a front-light. They could also improve the resolution, since a higher resolution is available from E-Ink. They could easily make it a great reader.
3 years and no improvement...who are they kidding ?
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbooker View Post
Too bad they did not take the time to add a front-light. They could also improve the resolution, since a higher resolution is available from E-Ink. They could easily make it a great reader.
They are not trying to "kid" anyone. There simply isn't enough of a market to warrant a successor. I, too, would love to see a new DX with the gorgeous display of the Kobo Aura HD and its excellent frontlight. I still use my DXG and have another, new in box, as a spare.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:45 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
They are not trying to "kid" anyone. There simply isn't enough of a market to warrant a successor. I, too, would love to see a new DX with the gorgeous display of the Kobo Aura HD and its excellent frontlight. I still use my DXG and have another, new in box, as a spare.
So would I. But I agree; the market just isn't there. I paid almost € 400 for my first-batch Cybook Gen3 back in 2007, and am now on my second DXG, both bought when they still were $379,= (again, with taxes and import duties and whatnot, roughly € 400). I would gladly pay that much again for a DX HD with the 2400x1650 screen and frontlight. More, even.

But it isn't going to happen.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
They're not "kidding" anyone. They're selling off old stock. The DX was a failed experiment; it was targetted primarily at college students, and it just didn't work. We're not going to see a replacement for it: LCD tablets have taken over that market sector.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They're not "kidding" anyone. They're selling off old stock. The DX was a failed experiment; it was targetted primarily at college students, and it just didn't work. We're not going to see a replacement for it: LCD tablets have taken over that market sector.
Sony begs to differ : Sony reveals prototype 13.3-inch e-ink slate with stylus.
The DX writing and PDF browsing experience was not nearly as smooth as what students expected. Amazon had trumpeted that they could bring the right device to students. They failed, and abandoned the field instead of committing to their goal long term. Shame on them !
Back-lighted devices are bad for the eyes and the brain. I am surprised how few people know about the brain part here.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sony's device is a prototype - it's extremely unlikely ever to see the light of day as a manufactured product.

There is no evidence whatsoever, that I'm aware of, that backlit devices are bad for you. A photon is a photon as far as your eye is concerned, and it makes not the slightest different whether the photon is emitted by the screen or reflected from it. If you have evidence to say otherwise, I'd love to see it!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
A photon is a photon as far as your eye is concerned, and it makes not the slightest different whether the photon is emitted by the screen or reflected from it.
You've said this before, and it's a ridiculous comment. There is obviously a difference. E-ink is static like the printed page and does not emit light, unlike and LCD screen. Never mind the fact that many readers find reading on an LCD screen makes their eyes go blurry. Anyway...

Re: the DX, is it old stock or are they manufacturing them again? If this is old stock, why are they suddenly selling them after a hiatus of how long? Six moths? A year? I don't know.

If it's not old stock, I would be nice to see some kind of upgrade to them. Software is comparatively cheap, after all.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Sony begs to differ : Sony reveals prototype 13.3-inch e-ink slate with stylus.
The DX writing and PDF browsing experience was not nearly as smooth as what students expected. Amazon had trumpeted that they could bring the right device to students. They failed, and abandoned the field instead of committing to their goal long term. Shame on them !
Back-lighted devices are bad for the eyes and the brain. I am surprised how few people know about the brain part here.

Why not take the time now to educate us "about the brain part"?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
You've said this before, and it's a ridiculous comment. There is obviously a difference. E-ink is static like the printed page and does not emit light, unlike and LCD screen.
I'm not saying there isn't a difference; I'm saying that it doesn't matter where the light comes from. Your eyes don't make a distinction between light that's emitted behind a screen or in front of it. If you have some evidence that suggests otherwise, I'd very much like to see it.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
NightGoat
Connoisseur
NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'NightGoat can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle Oasis, DXG, and Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Why not take the time now to educate us "about the brain part"?

Don
You want proof of brain damage and LCDs? Just look to the iPad fanboys

Seriously, I've read somewhere about LCDs stimulating the pineal gland making it difficult to sleep up until an hour or so after gazing at one. But I believe it's just a theory.
NightGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
BRAINZ!!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #14
Lbooker
Addict

Quote:
Sony's device is a prototype - it's extremely unlikely ever to see the light of day as a manufactured product.

There is no evidence whatsoever, that I'm aware of, that backlit devices are bad for you. A photon is a photon as far as your eye is concerned, and it makes not the slightest different whether the photon is emitted by the screen or reflected from it. If you have evidence to say otherwise, I'd love to see it!
Using EEG, Marshall McLuhan proved in the 1960s that back-light screens radically change our brainwaves after 30 seconds. Advertisers successfully replicated his experiment, then drew important lessons from it : they started targeting our emotions instead of trying to convince our reason, and they program our subconscious dreams when (especially during our childhood) we innocently spend time in front of a TV set (well, basically everything on TV influences our long term dreams, our subconscious). Politicians, thanks to their media and marketing advisers, also changed their communication.
http://www.causeof.org/brainwaves.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Endangered-Min...dp/0684856204/
http://www.amazon.com/The-Plug-In-Dr.../dp/0142001082
Written by a former advertiser :
http://www.amazon.com/Arguments-Elim...dp/0688082742/
Anyway, most people refuse to believe that they can be and effectively are manipulated. Even though the master of PR spilled the beans a long time ago :
http://www.amazon.com/Propaganda-ebook/dp/B0097D76MG/

Last edited by Lbooker; 05-30-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Holy conspiracy-theory, Batman!!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote