Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Nook tablet locked down?

This is early, but foreboding. I don't know any of the tech stuff, but Pokey was the guy who led the charge rooting the Nook Color last year. Looks like the new one may be locked down tight.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1349264

Bad move on their part, I think.

I actually just bought the gift cards to get this. I'll still pick one up today, but will return it within the 2 weeks if it looks like the new Nook won't work like the first gen.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Strange, I read that B&N specifically did NOT lock it down because they understand people who root are potential sales they don't want to lose. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Strange, I read that B&N specifically did NOT lock it down because they understand people who root are potential sales they don't want to lose. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I think the reports that it wasn't locked down came initially from one person asking a SALESMAN, several weeks ago.

It could be that Pokey et al just need to tweak their methods a little.

If that doesn't work, hopefully there will be other methods to make this as friendly as the Nook Color was to 3rd party developers, but it is discouraging that at first blush, it appears that B&N has changed their methods from the Nook Color.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Teleread reports that from the 16GB available on the device, only 1GB is available for your content. The rest is reserved for stuff you *purchase* from B&N.

I think that hacking the device has just became matter of principle.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 AM   #5
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
The-ebook-reader.com has a good article on how to install third party apps without rooting. Basically download go launcher, select package installer, and this launches a hidden settings menu. Check the box to install apps from unknown source. Then you can install go launcher or launcher pro. Download Button Savior to add a home button to launch the launcher. And have fun download apks like the amazon app store.
I can't provide the link since i am unsure how to, or even if I can, cut and paste on my Nook Tablet. But if you go to the web page you can read all about it. It seems as though the Tablet is not locked as tight as my Nook Color.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
JxK
Enthusiast
JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JxK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, NC CM 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Teleread reports that from the 16GB available on the device, only 1GB is available for your content. The rest is reserved for stuff you *purchase* from B&N.

I think that hacking the device has just became matter of principle.
B&N allows you to repartition the allotted space for B&N content vs sideloaded content. Default on the nook tablet is 15GB and 1GB respectively. But if you wanted to change it to 5GB B&N secure content with 11GB reserved for sideloading, they can do that. The process is done in store , just make the request when you purchase
JxK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
The process is done in store , just make the request when you purchase
The problem is, the nearest brick&mortar B&N store is many thousands miles away from here (Europe).
I could buy the Nook Tablet through internet here (grey import), but the company that will do the unofficial import won't be able to do that.

I think that if they can do it at the store, they must have a special SD card or something and boot the device from it and configure the device. I do not think that they have a brilliant hacker in each store. So the system must be foolproof enough for an ordinary [almost] untrained shop-assistant to use. I wonder how long it will take for such bootable SD card (or other device) to fall into the hands of hacking community. Consider how many stores have the device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #8
chazcop
chazcop began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (Wifi only)
I just called the largest store in NYC (Union Square) & the Nook manager told me they did not have the capacity (permission?) to reformat the Tablet. Just the Nook Color (I have an early NC which had much more space avail. for sideloading than the one shipping now).

He said it's in the plan but not yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
B&N allows you to repartition the allotted space for B&N content vs sideloaded content. Default on the nook tablet is 15GB and 1GB respectively. But if you wanted to change it to 5GB B&N secure content with 11GB reserved for sideloading, they can do that. The process is done in store , just make the request when you purchase
chazcop is offline   Reply With Quote