Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Calibre 0.8.7: E-Book viewer is missing search field

I was using the calibre e-book viewer and by accident I right-clicked at the top, near the search field. Some pop-up appeared with 2 options, one of them invisible. I think I must have clicked on one of those options, as thereafter the complete search field (and other fields) went away and stayed away.

Closing the viewer and restarting did not help. I cannot find any option to make them appear again: not in the viewer options, not in the calibre preferences. Issueing Ctrl-F didn't work anymore.

Beside re-installing, is there a simple cure for this?
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can you post a screenshot of your viewer window.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have added a viewer picture as attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	73588  
Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
I was using the calibre e-book viewer and by accident I right-clicked at the top, near the search field. Some pop-up appeared with 2 options, one of them invisible. I think I must have clicked on one of those options, as thereafter the complete search field (and other fields) went away and stayed away.

Closing the viewer and restarting did not help. I cannot find any option to make them appear again: not in the viewer options, not in the calibre preferences. Issueing Ctrl-F didn't work anymore.

Beside re-installing, is there a simple cure for this?
Somehow you managed to lose/misplace the Search toolbar.
Note: you can drag the tool bar(s) using the ribbed 'handle' at the start to locations at the top or Left side and Calibre will leave them there.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #5
DrChiper
Bookish

The bar with the search field is normally not moveable. It went away after some pop-up menu option was activated
Advert
Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its possible you dragged the bar outside the viewer window, in which case it will be hanging around on your desktop. Try minimizing all your windows except the viewer and look for it.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
The bar with the search field is normally not moveable. It went away after some pop-up menu option was activated
The bar is movable, and as far as I know, it has no popup menus attached to it. In fact right clicking on it, brings up nothing for me.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can restore all the viewer prefs to defaults by going to Preferences->Miscellaneous in the calibre preferences click open config directory and deleting the file viewer.json
Old 06-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
DrChiper
Bookish

Removing the viewer.json file did the trick. But I have been able to recreate the situation (see attachment). It is however rather difficult to get it again by right-clicking somewhere on the location where it is shown.

Thanks for the help so-far!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	294
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	73589  
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Removing the viewer.json file did the trick. But I have been able to recreate the situation (see attachment). It is however rather difficult to get it again by right-clicking somewhere on the location where it is shown.

Thanks for the help so-far!
What OS and version is that?
I can click till the cows come home in XP and no menu
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Where exactly are you clicking? From the screenshot it looks like you clicked on the title bar. That does not bring up the same menu for me.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-30-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #12
DrChiper
Bookish

I'm using Win7 64 bit. I right-clicked just below the title bar on the moveable (indeed, you can reposition it as I just discovered :-) bar not far from the spot of the pop-up. I agree it is a bit difficult to reproduce, but I managed to do it several times, hence the snapshot as proof.

I don't think the average user will ever encounter it as it seems to be a very rare situation, and I was just unlucky to find it.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you sure you're running calibre 0.8.7? In the main calibre interface, look at the version number near the bottom. The menu you are describing is explicitly disabled in current calibre code.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #14
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I just tried this since I'm running Win7 64-bit; I cannot make this happen.

Dr. Chipper - do you have your own version of Python installed? Maybe the viewer is running under a different version than what comes with Calibre?
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
DrChiper
Bookish

I'm pretty sure it's calibre 0.8.7 (see attachment). Further, it seems my version (which I picked up and installed yesterday) is very problematic. It just crashed for the second time during a field edit (title field)...

Faulting application name: calibre.exe, version: 0.8.7.0, time stamp: 0x4e050eaf
Faulting module name: python27.dll, version: 2.7.1150.1013, time stamp: 0x4cf1405f
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00001632
Faulting process id: 0xd60
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc37db0e5ff542
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\DLLs\python27.dll
Report Id: a116a608-a3e4-11e0-a19c-d55cd5986d11

Fault bucket 2501922651, type 1
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: calibre.exe
P2: 0.8.7.0
P3: 4e050eaf
P4: python27.dll
P5: 2.7.1150.1013
P6: 4cf1405f
P7: c0000005
P8: 00001632
P9:
P10:

I think I'm going back to version 0.8.6 which worked fine without any problems. Unless you have some idea's I can test?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	245
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	73604