Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
shocampo
shocampo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Don't Index Number in Column View

Is it possible to tell Calibre to not display the index number for a custom text column in column view?

I created a "text column for series like information", but I don't want the index number displayed after the data in column view.

Thanks!
shocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocampo View Post
Is it possible to tell Calibre to not display the index number for a custom text column in column view?

I created a "text column for series like information", but I don't want the index number displayed after the data in column view.

Thanks!
Do you just want to have it stop displaying the series index number, or do you not want that number at all? If it's the latter, you can use a plain text column. If it's the former, I don't think it's possible.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Do you just want to have it stop displaying the series index number, or do you not want that number at all? If it's the latter, you can use a plain text column. If it's the former, I don't think it's possible.
Some series aren't numbered so not having the series number would be useful. I just use a text column instead of a series custom column to accomplish that in one of my libraries. I wanted to label it Series but calibre doesn't permit that because there already is a column named Series so I got around that by putting a space in front of the word Series and using a slightly different lookup name. When displayed, the name Series looks no different than the original series column and, of course, no series number is displayed.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Some series aren't numbered so not having the series number would be useful. I just use a text column instead of a series custom column to accomplish that in one of my libraries. I wanted to label it Series but calibre doesn't permit that because there already is a column named Series so I got around that by putting a space in front of the word Series and using a slightly different lookup name. When displayed, the name Series looks no different than the original series column and, of course, no series number is displayed.
Zero is a valid number.

I use it for books that Won't fit into the normal sequence, or for a "master series index-reference"
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Zero is a valid number.

I use it for books that Won't fit into the normal sequence, or for a "master series index-reference"
Technically, 0 isn't a number; it's a place holder.

I've used 0 on occasion when I didn't know a series number at the time. Some series have sub-series that aren't always time related to the main series so a series number is unnecessary. I also use 0 there but would love to be able to just eliminate the numbers however, because the majority of the series do require a number, it isn't really practical.

I do have a separate library for comics and I have them listed under very generic series. Series numbers are inappropriate so I use a custom column that displays as Series (a leading space lets me get away with it). The comics have all been scanned and, as far as I know, there is no easily accessed metadata online so it is far easier to let the the title column organize the series name and number (leading zeros are needed for proper sorting but since I have to type it in anyway, it's no problem).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
shocampo
shocampo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The plain text field was the solution I was looking for. Thanks to all who took time to reply.
shocampo is offline   Reply With Quote