Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #31531
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
One of the few books of King's that I considered horror ... and I'm not really a fan of horror so this isn't a favourite.

Horror is all I read pretty much or crime novels like James Patterson books. I like Mystery with a supernatural twist to it or scary sci-fi. Only type of book i truly hate is one of sports and romance novels
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 06:47 AM   #31532
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And not available as an ebook in the U.S.? Oh well, maybe someday.
That’s surprising considering that it was on the Booker long list. It is available as an ebook in Apple Books for €13.99 In Ireland and the UK. Perhaps there are some copyright issues?
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #31533
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
That’s surprising considering that it was on the Booker long list. It is available as an ebook in Apple Books for €13.99 In Ireland and the UK. Perhaps there are some copyright issues?
Interestingly, it IS available in North America as an Audible book. But no eBook so far as I can tell.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 03:37 PM   #31534
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I skipped through Misery. A few nonsense chapters Reading Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:36 PM   #31535
HLS
Wizard

This year has not been a good year for reading. About 1/3 to 1/2 of my picks I skipped thew chapters here and there because I got bored. They were good books but could not captivate my attention. Maybe 2024 will be better. About 18 of the 48 read so far I truly read all the way 100%.

I probably need to set realistic goals so I will be tempted to invest in a book more. Perhaps 2 books a month for books 0-550 pages and 1 book a month for those books that are really long like 600 pages+

Last edited by HLS; 09-30-2023 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:28 PM   #31536
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Currently reading Omnibus 1 of Captain Lacey Mysteries by Ashley Gardner.
Finished this omnibus of 3 stories and 2 novellas. Very much enjoyed. Added additional omnibus' to my wish list (there are 5).

Currently reading Mistworld by Simon Green. I loved Man with the Golden Torc, but was only so-so on book 1 of the Nightside, which was his original claim to fame. This one is science fiction. It's been unread in my library since 2013, so time!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 04:45 PM   #31537
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The House of Styx by Derek Künsken. The author of the Quantum Magician series which I enjoyed. I believe this is the first book in a related series.
And very good it was. I'm looking forward to the second one when it goes on offer.

Then I read the first of Seanan McGuire's Incryptid series, Discount Armageddon. Another fun urban fantasy series, but (as far as I can see) a different universe to her October Daye series, which is good.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #31538
HLS
Wizard

I am reading Mexican Gothic. Finally a good book so far
Old 10-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #31539
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm debating reading or listening to Emily Wilson's new translation of The Iliad. I would not normally listen to it, but I am SORELY tempted by the great Audra McDonald.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #31540
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I'm debating reading or listening to Emily Wilson's new translation of The Iliad. I would not normally listen to it, but I am SORELY tempted by the great Audra McDonald.
A really good narrator can transform a book. If you're a big fan of Audra McDonald, then do a quick sample listen. If it sounds right? Go for it.
Old 10-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #31541
HLS
Wizard

In addition to mexican Gothic I am also reading A history of fear. Both are real good so far.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:00 PM   #31542
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
A really good narrator can transform a book. If you're a big fan of Audra McDonald, then do a quick sample listen. If it sounds right? Go for it.
Oh, I've listened to a sample. I'm just not sure if I want to shell out $37 for it. We don't do audible in this house.
Old 10-04-2023, 03:10 PM   #31543
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Oh, I've listened to a sample. I'm just not sure if I want to shell out $37 for it. We don't do audible in this house.
Ah. Perhaps it's time for a quick "Trial". After all, you get to keep the books even after you cancel the subscription.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #31544
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Quote:
I've already picked this up as text and should get to it soon. As for the audio, I love Audra McDonald and of course the original experience of The Iliad was aural and I'm thoroughly familiar with the story (as the earliest audiences would have been) so it would be easy to follow.... Just the same, I think it could be a tough listen and I've got a credit I could burn at that!

Just my take on it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:19 PM   #31545
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've already picked this up as text and should get to it soon. As for the audio, I love Audra McDonald and of course the original experience of The Iliad was aural and I'm thoroughly familiar with the story (as the earliest audiences would have been) so it would be easy to follow.... Just the same, I think it could be a tough listen and I've got a credit I could burn at that!

Just my take on it.
I think I'm going to see if I can find the Clare Danes reading of The Odyssey Wilson translation first. Possibly second hand on CD. I would be inclined to sit and follow along with the audio. I read a lot of Japanese literature, but have not read much Greek since I took it at university.