Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Question Large images on Kindle... what goes on under the hood?

A project I'm doing for a client requires relatively large images in the content which they want to be able to zoom in on and examine.
We don't need anything CRAZY, and I'd stick my finger in the air and say 2000px wide would be just fine (with a portrait aspect).

We've got 1000x1692 JPGs in at the moment and if I open up an original image on my PC in the windows image viewer, size the window it to about tablet size and zoom in, it looks kind of okay -- yes, this is not an exact replication, but I get the general feel for how it'll degrade on zoom with THAT partcular zoom algorithm yadda yadda.

The results are less good in KP3 and my last post brought up some really interesting talk about the convesion process when opening in KP3 and also in the final distribution process.

SO:
1. If I put in (say) 2000px wide versions am I going to get 2000 pixels to zoom and pan with on the consumer end?*
2. What processing and rules DOES happen at that point? Image resizing, JPG quality changes, etc. It'll be handy to know what I'm up against next time I have to deal with images that are more than just purely decorative**

Maybe my search-fu is weak, but much of the information I've found is quite old on this, and I KNOW there are certain folk on here that have their ear to the ground re distro processing! :notworthy:

Cheers folks!

===

* On a decent device. Anyone with lower spec of legacy devices are just gonna have to live with it (client is fine with that).

** Yes, yes, all that about critical information should be in live text.
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Some older ereader will freeze with a too big image.

You should have at least Kindle App on a smaller screen phone (5") and PW3 or later 6" Kindle and test on those.

About 1/2 of people read Kindle ebooks on a phone.

The Kindle app for iOS may behave differently.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Some older ereader will freeze with a too big image.

You should have at least Kindle App on a smaller screen phone (5") and PW3 or later 6" Kindle and test on those.

About 1/2 of people read Kindle ebooks on a phone.

The Kindle app for iOS may behave differently.
Although not necessarily the answer to the question I asked, any good advice is always welcome!
From what I've gleaned the absolute maximum image size (or at least for COVERS) is 10,000 sq pixels which is nowhere near where I'd want to go with this.

And also indeed we're checking on KP3 on smaller screens, though that's not related to the queston of how the image gets abused during transit. Not sure I feel comfortable seeing the words "iOS" and "behave" in same Sentence though!
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:50 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon creates several Kindle e-book formats when a book is published. They also produce multiple variants of each format with different image quality targeted to different app and device types. Image resolution can be reduced and color may be eliminated.

The maximum resolution I have ever seen is around 3500 pixels for comics delivered to the iOS and Android apps. Images delivered to e-ink Kindles max out around 2000 pixels. Perhaps that will change with the new Kindle Scribe.

Customers who use the Download & transfer via USB option can get significantly lower resolution images compared with direct over-the-air delivery of the same book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kindle, maximum, processing