Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Ereader will not connect to an M1 Mac

This is odd.

I've got 3 Macs, and my KA1 (4.28.18220) will simply not appear as a device in System Information on my new M1 machine; it doesn't appear on the desktop, and I can't update it with calibre.

I have one micro USB to USB-C cable. That works talking to a 2016 MBP running 11.6. The same cable on my M1 (running 12.1) only charges the KA1.

I have another micro USB to USB-A cable, and a generic little USB-A 3.0 to USB-C adaptor. Same result as the known good micro USB to USB-C cable.

The micro USB to USB-A cable works fine with my 2008 (!) MBP.

Argh.

Kobo's online help ends up doing a factory reset; I'm worried if that doesn't work then I've now got an ereader with zero books. At least now I can read something!

Does anyone have any suggestions which might avoid the factory reset and losing everything?
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #2
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Update your Kobo to the latest firmware 4.30.x

I have a Mac Mini M1 and it works well now.

Before, I had to use a USB Hub.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Seconded on the above solution.

I haven't had a problem in over one or two months.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
windirt
windirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to beholdwindirt is a marvel to behold

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra2
Yes, I have a Kobo Libra H2O stay old firmware and it can not connect to a M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

When I upgraded it to firmware version 4.30 using a Windows computer, it successfully connected to the M1 Pro Macbook Pro.
windirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
There were fixes for the M1 that should have been in firmware v4.28.18220. They were for the newer devices and might not have done anything for the older devices. I'm not sure in which category the Aura ONE fits. It is also possible some more work was done after this, so using 4.30.x is probably a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2021, 12:53 AM   #6
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, there's a 4.30? Our wiki page on firmware hasn't been kept up-to-date :-(

I shall update to 4.30 and report back...
Old 12-14-2021, 02:18 AM   #7
chrisridd
Guru

And it connects to my M1 now when running 4.30.18838. Phew!

Thanks for the hints folks. I've updated our wiki page with the 4.30.18838 download links as best I can.
Old 12-14-2021, 04:00 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Good to hear it is working. The update should have been installed if you synced over WiFi.

And thanks for updating the Wiki. I notice that 4.30.18838 was missing earlier and planned to add it tonight. The links seem to work but I'll add the links to the threads.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arm, m1mac, mac, usb