Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #121
Intet
Intet began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy1000 View Post
I think the micro SD slot is beneficial. Boox storage can't be extended...also note taking should be more snappy with the Mimas...
Sure, it's a plus. I find it so marginal though, that I always facepalm when I read complaints about 32GB (Boox Note) not being enough for an e-reader/note taking device? Seriously?

As far as the note-taking snappiness on Boox Note is concerned, are there any problems with it? I don't remember hearing anything negative about it.

Too bad Mimas looks like arse to me, plus there are too many open questions/issues at this point--build quality, battery life, software, etc. I'd get it in a heartbeat. Now I'm reconsidering the current Note again (not sure if I want to shell out who knows how much premium for the upcoming Pro version with the increased RAM and storage (that I don't need in the least) and frontlight).

Last edited by Intet; 01-25-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Intet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:42 PM   #122
Siggy1000
Enthusiast
Siggy1000 doesn't litterSiggy1000 doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intet View Post
As far as the note-taking snappiness on Boox Note is concerned, are there any problems with it? I don't remember hearing anything negative about it.
It looked snappier in the Goodereader reviews on YouTube. Also Erasing in the note app fundamentally differs. With the Boox you got an eraser on the back of the pen, which allows natural erasing. But you can only erase whole strokes and I don't know if this can be fixed by software, because the back of the pen is harder to track. On the Mimas you got the ability to erase with the pens tip, which is better to track...so also partial erases are possible.

Watch the some YouTube reviews before you decide...
Siggy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #123
Intet
Intet began at the beginning.

Quote:
But you can only erase whole strokes and I don't know if this can be fixed by software, because the back of the pen is harder to track.
Well, they can always implement an erasing mode with the tip, just like in mspaint.
Intet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #124
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intet View Post
Well, they can always implement an erasing mode with the tip, just like in mspaint.
Ah sure
Old 01-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #125
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by foro.carlos View Post
If you have any questions or something just ask.
How is the note taking in PDFs with other apps? And also how is the battery life? (Without running tons of apps in background)
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM   #126
simple
simple began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650
I don't have anything modern to compare it to, but it seems perfect for what I need (A4 pdfs in about 10-11pt fonts).

Onenote works perfectly for my needs - reading existing content, editing in a minor way. Of course way slower than using the laptop.

Lighting is way better than I imagined - completely even!

I am stuck, though, on some of the software things. I don't know how to get Play Books going (says I need to upgrade Google Play services, which I tried through the goodereader app). Also can't get the keyboard to stay on Swiftkey. Finally, can't seem to add a Google account, which I assume is a limitation set by the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help!
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #127
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I am stuck, though, on some of the software things. I don't know how to get Play Books going
This guy seems be running it. Maybe you ask the owner of the channel, if he could help you.

Last edited by Siggy1000; 01-25-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Video not working
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM   #128
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
I don't have anything modern to compare it to, but it seems perfect for what I need (A4 pdfs in about 10-11pt fonts).

Onenote works perfectly for my needs - reading existing content, editing in a minor way. Of course way slower than using the laptop.

Lighting is way better than I imagined - completely even!

I am stuck, though, on some of the software things. I don't know how to get Play Books going (says I need to upgrade Google Play services, which I tried through the goodereader app). Also can't get the keyboard to stay on Swiftkey. Finally, can't seem to add a Google account, which I assume is a limitation set by the manufacturer?

Thanks for any help!
I imagine you need to enable it like on the Mars try my instructions here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=570

Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #129
simple
simple began at the beginning.

Device: PRS650
Thanks Malcolm, that worked...

With Xodo, working well to read a 150mb, 12,000 page PDF.

Trying to use Onenote badge from that pdf crashes Onenote every time, though.

So far, very happy.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:06 AM   #130
Acaread
Acaread began at the beginning.

Device: None
An update regarding my Mimas.

Ereader.Store was very forthcoming in either replacing or refunding me for my faulty unit. I guess I will go for the refund and wait until the Boox Note Pro becomes available. Until then I will also make my mind up whether I like to compromise pixel density over screen size.

If anyone is in the market for the Mimas, I definitely recommend going via Ereader.Store (if you are in Europe.) Very good communication and really fast shipping. I received my unit within 24h.
Acaread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:03 PM   #131
Pink Floyd
Pink Floyd began at the beginning.

A quick question: Do you think I should charge my Mimas with my Google Pixel charger (fast charging Type-C charger) or with my pc? I heard that these fast-charging chargers will kill the battery. Is it true?
Pink Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #132
Siggy1000
Enthusiast

The standard USB power delivery is 5V at 1A. Usually on your fastcharger you will find the types of voltage and amps it can deliver. Usually the quick charging either increases voltage or amps. But the device first negotiates with the charger, what type of power it should deliver. For example:

You plug your smartphone in and it immediately starts charging with 5V 1A. Then the charging chip on the phone asks, if the charger could provide 9V 2A, because this is what the phone's battery is designed for in this example. If the charger can deliver it, it will change its internal power switchers to the preferred power. If it can't deliver, charging stays at 5V 1A. And also if you attach your reader to the fast charger, it will never ask for more than 5V 1A. Therefore the fast charger should be save to use...

A different point is the quality of the switchers inside the chargers. If they somehow deliver 5.3V, it could damage the battery in the long run...but I think using one charger for all devices is more convenient.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #133
Pink Floyd

Quote:
The standard USB power delivery is 5V at 1A. Usually on your fastcharger you will find the types of voltage and amps it can deliver. Usually the quick charging either increases voltage or amps. But the device first negotiates with the charger, what type of power it should deliver. For example:

You plug your smartphone in and it immediately starts charging with 5V 1A. Then the charging chip on the phone asks, if the charger could provide 9V 2A, because this is what the phone's battery is designed for in this example. If the charger can deliver it, it will change its internal power switchers to the preferred power. If it can't deliver, charging stays at 5V 1A. And also if you attach your reader to the fast charger, it will never ask for more than 5V 1A. Therefore the fast charger should be save to use...

A different point is the quality of the switchers inside the chargers. If they somehow deliver 5.3V, it could damage the battery in the long run...but I think using one charger for all devices is more convenient.
Thanks for the quick reply. On my phone charger, I see two different values,
Output: 5V-30A, 9V-20A. Guess these are the range of V and A. I am more confused now.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #134
Jose Manuel S
Enthusiast
Jose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animalsJose Manuel S is kind to children and small, furry animals

No no, never use a charger with more voltage than your device needs, the charger will damage it. Another thing is the ampere, your device will only take the quantity it requires, but always the charger must have at least the amperes your device takes.
An example, your device needs 5 V and 1A, you can NOT use a charger with a output over 5V. If you have a charger of 12V and 1A don't use it. Always repect the voltage.

A charger of 5V and 1A or 2A can be used, but if the charger of 5V only has 500mA, do NOT use it, it can damage the electronics.
Then, repect the voltage and the same or more Amperes than your device requires. There are chargers that can change the voltage... I've never had just one.

Last edited by Jose Manuel S; 01-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Jose Manuel S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #135
Pink Floyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Manuel S View Post
No no, never use a charger with more voltage than your device needs, the charger will damage it. Another thing is the ampere, your device will only take the quantity it requires, but always the charger must have at least the amperes your device takes.
An example, your device needs 5 V and 1A, you can NOT use a charger with a output over 5V. If you have a charger of 12V and 1A don't use it. Always repect the voltage.

A charger of 5V and 1A or 2A can be used, but if the charger of 5V only has 500mA, do NOT use it, it can damage the electronics.
Then, repect the voltage and the same or more Amperes than your device requires. There are chargers that can change the voltage... I've never had just one.
Thanks, got it. Now, the question is what voltage and ampere my device needs. How can I find it out? I couldn't find any info about it. Guess the voltage is 5, and fortunately I have an old charger with 5V and 1Amp. I want to make sure to use a charger with => ampere.