Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #76
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Cin, we would all prefer that everyone not post oversize images, but it does happen. Generally, the poster is either unaware of the Guidelines or doesn't realize an image is huge. The issue is how best to deal with it. The post will be brought into compliance as soon as possible, but should it be by deletion or by resizing the image?
I think it depends on the forum. For the general forums, if the photo is important like showing how they did something, take the time to resize.
If it is just a silly photo, mod on duty's decision.
Now in the self promotion thread, please delete. My reasoning for this is if one is smart enough to write a book, then they should be smart enough to read the guidelines.

In the technical forums, please resize.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:20 AM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I think it depends on the forum. For the general forums, if the photo is important like showing how they did something, take the time to resize.
If it is just a silly photo, mod on duty's decision.
Now in the self promotion thread, please delete. My reasoning for this is if one is smart enough to write a book, then they should be smart enough to read the guidelines.

In the technical forums, please resize.
I agree with all your points.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #78
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
It's really very simple:

Read our Posting Guidelines, which sets a limit for 600 x 600 pixels. A link to those Guidelines is located at the very bottom of every page! Those limits were set by the owner of this site, by the way.

The easiest method to post an image is to go to 'Manage Attachments' and (after you finished writing your post and prior to posting it), simply upload the image!

CHEERS!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Attached images thumbnails can be placed in line, this one is 2560x1440

Attachment 159823

They are listed in the Advanced mode paper clip icon. Position the insertion cursor where you want an uploaded image and select image from paper clip icon drop down list

Attachment 159825

BR
This isn't a feature that's obvious. In fact, if it wasn't posted about by someone, I'd have never known it existed. The only thing I know of was attachments. They don't always work when you need to have the images with the text.

I've seen other forums where if you post an oversized image, the forum software makes the image smaller and if you click on it, you get the full size. Can this be done here?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cin, we would all prefer that everyone not post oversize images, but it does happen. Generally, the poster is either unaware of the Guidelines or doesn't realize an image is huge. The issue is how best to deal with it. The post will be brought into compliance as soon as possible, but should it be by deletion or by resizing the image?
How much effort does it take for a moderator to sort out the image and then PM the person with instructions on how to do it correctly for future reverence? Not much effort for sorting out the image(s) and the PM can be written ahead of time and just copied and pasted.

The problem is that some threads are useless without the image(s) to show what the person is trying to convey. And I've seen some threads have the images deleted where the images were there up to 3-years.

Just deleting the images and hoping the posters fix things in not the answer. It doesn't always work and when someone is posting something where 600x600 is too small, then the images are useless as most people do not know about the attachment trick.
Advert
Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's really very simple:

Read our Posting Guidelines, which sets a limit for 600 x 600 pixels. A link to those Guidelines is located at the very bottom of every page! Those limits were set by the owner of this site, by the way.

The easiest method to post an image is to go to 'Manage Attachments' and (after you finished writing your post and prior to posting it), simply upload the image!

CHEERS!
The guidelines link is not obvious. Also, the rules for images is weak and very poor. There's no help in using the attachment trick. Overall, I can easily see why the guidelines are not followed. But then staff do not have to be such a stickler especially when the image(s) is/are important to the thread.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #82
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This isn't a feature that's obvious. In fact, if it wasn't posted about by someone, I'd have never known it existed. The only thing I know of was attachments. They don't always work when you need to have the images with the text.
- me too, if someone wants to put a link to my post in the Guidelines please feel free do to so.

Quote:
I've seen other forums where if you post an oversized image, the forum software makes the image smaller and if you click on it, you get the full size. Can this be done here?
I think this was bought up earlier in the thread, as I recall the theoretical answer is yes, it's a server side change, possibly one that can only made by the host system admins.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:30 PM   #83
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How much effort does it take for a moderator to sort out the image and then PM the person with instructions on how to do it correctly for future reverence? Not much effort for sorting out the image(s) and the PM can be written ahead of time and just copied and pasted.

The problem is that some threads are useless without the image(s) to show what the person is trying to convey. And I've seen some threads have the images deleted where the images were there up to 3-years.

Just deleting the images and hoping the posters fix things in not the answer. It doesn't always work and when someone is posting something where 600x600 is too small, then the images are useless as most people do not know about the attachment trick.
I agree with you, which is why I resize oversize images when I see them. The threads maintain their integrity, the post is in compliance with the Guidelines, everyone's happy.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree with you, which is why I resize oversize images when I see them. The threads maintain their integrity, the post is in compliance with the Guidelines, everyone's happy.
So why can't this be a staff wide policy? It really is annoying when the images are removed and the thread then isn't useful. It's also annoying when an old thread has the images removed and that thread may help someone who has the same problem but can't get the answer because the images are gone.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:57 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
With phones and tablets it's often impossible to know the size of graphics. An image that blows up the screen of the Edge browser on my PC will look perfectly acceptable in my phone's Tapatalk app.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 AM   #86
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
So why can't this be a staff wide policy? It really is annoying when the images are removed and the thread then isn't useful. It's also annoying when an old thread has the images removed and that thread may help someone who has the same problem but can't get the answer because the images are gone.
This is now our policy. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 AM   #87
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It's really very simple:

From the Guidelines:
Quote:
Images included in posts must be no more than 600x600 pixels. Individual forum sections, including the Self-Promotions forum, may require smaller images. Please read the Promotion Posting Guidelines for specific information. You may use a picture as a link to a larger picture elsewhere.
I read that as saying that the maximum image size permitted, whether inline or as an attachment, is 600x600. Anything larger should be an external link. Whether I inline the image or add it as an attachment, I would still see that as an image included in the post.

But the discussion here suggests that there is no limit to the size of images if they are included as attachments. If that is the case, I would suggest updating the guidelines, as that is not at all clear.

The attachment function is only discussed in relation to public domain images, as having the advantage of keeping them available, not for allowing larger sizes.

Quote:
When posting images that are in the public domain, we recommend that you use the attachment feature or your MobileRead album, rather than directly linking to offsite locations. This way we can ensure that the images won't suddenly disappear. (This is also good netiquette as it is not using someone else's bandwidth.)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Would larger images be allowed if put in a spoiler code?
Old 01-28-2021, 05:01 PM   #89
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I read that as saying that the maximum image size permitted, whether inline or as an attachment, is 600x600. Anything larger should be an external link. Whether I inline the image or add it as an attachment, I would still see that as an image included in the post.

But the discussion here suggests that there is no limit to the size of images if they are included as attachments. If that is the case, I would suggest updating the guidelines, as that is not at all clear.
FYI, how it works from a practical perspective. If you place a large image inline it breaks the web page and how things look and operate. When things like this break it is frustrating from a user point of view.

On the other hand if you attach a large image and do not place it inline, when you click on the image to open it, it will open in a uniform size that doesn't break the web layout. If a person needs to see it in a larger format they can click the pop up image and view the image in its full resolution.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote