Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I've seen this misinformation too often. I judge based on width because that has the most direct impact on readability, pocketability etc. and not height. Let us examine these sizes.

MMPB (US) = 4.25'' x 6.87''
TP/H (standard) = 6'' x 9''
TP/H (large) = 8.5'' x 11''

Basing the aspect ratio of ereaders at 3:4 we have

6'' (standard) = 3.6'' x 4.8''
7'' (premium) = 4.2'' x 5.6''
8'' (large) = 4.8'' x 6.4''
10'' (professional) = 6.0'' x 8.0''
13.3'' (pdf reader) = 8.0'' x 10.6''

Matching these we see that the 7'' ereader (and NOT the 6'') most closely matches the dimensions of a mass-market paperback. And the 10'' ereader (and NOT the 7'') most closely matches a traditional trade paperback or hardcover. Finally the 13.3'' ereader most closely matches the large trade paperback/hardcover and is also the best fit for reading pdfs without scaling.

I really think that 6'' wasn't chosen because it matches a size of any type of book. The first generations of ereaders had large keyboards on them and I think that if they went any higher on screen size it would lose all portability. And whether you have a keyboard or not once you go beyond 6'' it becomes less and less portable.

If you still don't believe me (I don't know why, it is direct factual information) try this... find the font size on your favorite 6'' ereader that will put as much text on the screen as a mass market paperback. Is the font size the same as you would find in an mmpb or smaller?
For me, when I say that a reader is about the same size as a mass market paperback, I don't mean in terms of how much text fits on the screen, I mean in terms of actual size. In that case, my Kindle Voyage is closest in size of any of the readers I currently have close to hand (I think the Paperwhite 3 is actually closer in size, but my daughter is currently borrowing that, so I can't compare) I don't judge by the amount of text that fits on the screen because I have never used any reader that way--even when I was reading on a 3 inch Palm Pilot screen I made the text larger than what it is in a MMPB...it's just more comfortable for my eyes that way. I go by how the reader feels when I hold it, rather than how much text can fit on the screen(page).

In that case, the 6 inch Voyage feels more like a MMPB than the 7 inch Oasis, but my 6.8 inch Aura HD also feels more like a paperback then the Oasis, because the width is closer to what the paperback is. Again, more to do with the width of the case than the width of the screen.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've seen this misinformation too often. I judge based on width because that has the most direct impact on readability, pocketability etc. and not height. Let us examine these sizes.

Matching these we see that the 7'' ereader (and NOT the 6'') most closely matches the dimensions of a mass-market paperback. And the 10'' ereader (and NOT the 7'') most closely matches a traditional trade paperback or hardcover. Finally the 13.3'' ereader most closely matches the large trade paperback/hardcover and is also the best fit for reading pdfs without scaling.

I really think that 6'' wasn't chosen because it matches a size of any type of book. The first generations of ereaders had large keyboards on them and I think that if they went any higher on screen size it would lose all portability. And whether you have a keyboard or not once you go beyond 6'' it becomes less and less portable.

If you still don't believe me (I don't know why, it is direct factual information) try this... find the font size on your favorite 6'' ereader that will put as much text on the screen as a mass market paperback. Is the font size the same as you would find in an mmpb or smaller?
I measured the text width in a paperback: 3 1/2"
I measured the text width in my 6" ereader: 3 1/2"

The paperback text height is much taller.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Here's a picture of the newest Paperwhite with a 6" screen on the left, the 2018 Oasis with the 7" screen on the right.
There is no picture.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Watch this comparison on different screen sizes. Granted, this is an older video and the 8" size is not there. But you do get an idea of the .2" difference between the 6.8" and 6" screens. So take and and apply it to the 7.8" screen for an 8" screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-04-2020 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I measured the text width in a paperback: 3 1/2"
I measured the text width in my 6" ereader: 3 1/2"

The paperback text height is much taller.
I do think overall, the 6.8/7" screens are closer to a MMPB then a 6" screen.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
For me, when I say that a reader is about the same size as a mass market paperback, I don't mean in terms of how much text fits on the screen, I mean in terms of actual size. In that case, my Kindle Voyage is closest in size of any of the readers I currently have close to hand (I think the Paperwhite 3 is actually closer in size, but my daughter is currently borrowing that, so I can't compare) I don't judge by the amount of text that fits on the screen because I have never used any reader that way--even when I was reading on a 3 inch Palm Pilot screen I made the text larger than what it is in a MMPB...it's just more comfortable for my eyes that way. I go by how the reader feels when I hold it, rather than how much text can fit on the screen(page).

In that case, the 6 inch Voyage feels more like a MMPB than the 7 inch Oasis, but my 6.8 inch Aura HD also feels more like a paperback then the Oasis, because the width is closer to what the paperback is. Again, more to do with the width of the case than the width of the screen.

Shari
Ignore the bezel and look at just the screen. How does it compare to a MMPB? It's smaller. That's why 6.8/7" is closer in size to a MMPB because of the larger screen.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ignore the bezel and look at just the screen. How does it compare to a MMPB? It's smaller. That's why 6.8/7" is closer in size to a MMPB because of the larger screen.
Did you read my post? The size of the screen doesn't matter to me.
Quote:
For me, when I say that a reader is about the same size as a mass market paperback, I don't mean in terms of how much text fits on the screen, I mean in terms of actual size.
I mean how it feels in my hand, not how it looks.
Quote:
I go by how the reader feels when I hold it, rather than how much text can fit on the screen(page).
Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

You've given the page size of MMPB, but the screen size of the ereader. The actual text block of a MMPB is only 3.4" x 5.8".
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
For me, when I say that a reader is about the same size as a mass market paperback, I don't mean in terms of how much text fits on the screen, I mean in terms of actual size.
I agree.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #25
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Most of this thread will be incomprehensible to those knowing nothing about e-readers and wanting to make a decision about buying one. It's too complicated.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

If you want the real sizes of practically every reader see Screen sizes in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #27
Cara2
Cara2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
looking for a dedicated ereader

Hello all.
I'm new to MobileReads and hoping for guidance purchasing an Android-based ereader with the following criteria:
1) not tied to a bookseller, ex. Amazon, BN, and supports many file formats including library books, Scribd, etc;
2) dedicated reader with no frills (ex. stylus--colour isn't important);
3) very easy on the eyes at night but no glare in daylight;
4) 6"-8" / not heavy;
5) less than 200$ (if that's realistic; would consider refurbished from a reliable source);
6) can be purchased from France;
7) efficient 'home page' with useful settings (font, library, apps);
8) user friendly (I'm not tech phobic but tech no longer all that 'intuitive')
9) audio is not essential

I'd very much appreciate your expertise for finding a few choices of makers and models. Many thanks and kind regards.
Cara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #28
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara2 View Post
Hello all.
I'm new to MobileReads and hoping for guidance purchasing an Android-based ereader with the following criteria:
1) not tied to a bookseller, ex. Amazon, BN, and supports many file formats including library books, Scribd, etc;
2) dedicated reader with no frills (ex. stylus--colour isn't important);
3) very easy on the eyes at night but no glare in daylight;
4) 6"-8" / not heavy;
5) less than 200$ (if that's realistic; would consider refurbished from a reliable source);
6) can be purchased from France;
7) efficient 'home page' with useful settings (font, library, apps);
8) user friendly (I'm not tech phobic but tech no longer all that 'intuitive')
9) audio is not essential

I'd very much appreciate your expertise for finding a few choices of makers and models. Many thanks and kind regards.
There are a few devices that will meet your criteria. You can check out the Onyx Boox Poke 3 here.

It has a 6 inch display. The Onyx Boox Nova has a 7.8 inch display, but its price is a bit beyond your preferences!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:45 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara2 View Post
Hello all.
1) not tied to a bookseller, ex. Amazon, BN, and supports many file formats including library books, Scribd, etc.
People always make to big a deal out of this.

If you want an ereader that gives you a good experience, buy a Kobo or a Kindle. Yes, they are tied to stores. But you can sideload books to them easily. Being linked to a store is not the same as being required to purchase from that store. It is easy to convert book formats on your computer before sending them to your reader.

Since library books seem to be important, see if Kindle has access to libraries (they only have access in the US) or Kobo (they can access libraries in multiple countries, but not every country).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #30
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

Since library books seem to be important, see if Kindle has access to libraries (they only have access in the US) or Kobo (they can access libraries in multiple countries, but not every country).
The other relevant aspect of Kobo's library access is that they only offer library access to books they also sell. If they don't sell it in your market, you can't borrow it, at least not directly via your Kobo device.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote