Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
grahamedriver
grahamedriver began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Caibre - cannot start under W10/11

Calibre will not load under W10. It is looking for a no longer existing library. "You may need to restart Calibre". OK. Closes. Repeat.

Un/Reinstall. Delete program data/... delete user/appdata - still remembers.

Library at new location OK on another Windows PC.

How to remove all previous data?
grahamedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...n/calibre.html
use the --with_library option
then
use the Create/switch:use existing option to set the same path. that make it current.

BUT something is odd
When Calibre was installed, it creates Calibre Library in the default location.
If Calibre cant find the Current Library, it usually either uses this or recreates it. It has 1 book. Then you just switch to the one you want.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
What does the output say from running in debug mode as per the FAQ section:

Quote:
If it still won’t launch, start a command prompt (press the Windows key and R; then type cmd.exe in the Run dialog that appears). At the command prompt type the following command and press Enter:

Code:
calibre-debug -g
Post any output you see in a help message
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #4
Kerstin
Kerstin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I downloaded calibre but it won't start under Windows 10.
I tried all the possible solutions I could find in forums or the calibe website.
There it is suggested that if nothing works I should ask this forum and provide the following information:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\kerst>calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.31.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: de
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling

C:\Users\kerst>

Can someone please help me to start this program?
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try using the 64bit version instead. https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerstin View Post
I downloaded calibre but it won't start under Windows 10.
I tried all the possible solutions I could find in forums or the calibe website.
There it is suggested that if nothing works I should ask this forum and provide the following information:

Spoiler:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.1288]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. Alle Rechte vorbehalten.

C:\Users\kerst>calibre-debug -g
calibre 5.31.1 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.19041 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.19041')
Python 3.8.5
Windows: ('10', '10.0.19041', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: de
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling

C:\Users\kerst>

Can someone please help me to start this program?
Looking at the debug output from calibre, stopping at "Turning on automatic hidpi scaling" is very often a symptom of a video driver issue. You might want to check for a video driver update for your computer.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #7
Kerstin
Kerstin began at the beginning.

Thank you for your fast replay.
I tried your tip. Unfortunately it didn't work either.

I also restarted the computer after the installation I tried once more to start calibre. No success..
Kerstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
grahamedriver
grahamedriver began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Eventually it worked

After deleting every trace of Calibre I could find, including within the registry, I restarted and reinstalled, and it worked....

Sorry about the delay but I have been out-of-touch.
grahamedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #9
ratt56
ratt56 began at the beginning.

Unable to install latest version on Windows 11

I just converted to Windows 11 and attempted to update Calibre with version 5.32.0 but I keep getting a message telling me I have "insuficient privileges" to do that. I've never encountered this error before, any idea how to get around it?
ratt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:38 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Add yourself to the Administrator group? Don't ask me how but google should be able to help.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
alc4ever
alc4ever began at the beginning.

I'm having the same issue trying to unstall under Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 and am having the same issues. After reading this post I logged in under the Admin account and am still getting the same error. Version 31 is working fine so I'll stick with that for the time being.
alc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:08 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratt56 View Post
I just converted to Windows 11 and attempted to update Calibre with version 5.32.0 but I keep getting a message telling me I have "insuficient privileges" to do that. I've never encountered this error before, any idea how to get around it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by alc4ever View Post
I'm running Windows 10 and am having the same issues. After reading this post I logged in under the Admin account and am still getting the same error. Version 31 is working fine so I'll stick with that for the time being.
Which variant - 32 bit or 64 bit?

Do you install calibre in the 'default' location -- 32 bit in C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 or 64 bit in C:\Program Files\Calibre2 -- I'm assuming C: is the system drive.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #13
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have 'no problem' with 5.32 64-bit installing on my upgraded to win 11 HOME; also no problem with install on surface go win 10 64-bit. 'No problem' with installing onto desktop win 10 pro with 64 -bit; had to do the command line thing as running cmd.exe as administrator even tho my user account is as an administrator.

There are different types of administrator which is being kept secret by microshit; also it looks like the levels of administrator are different as when the win 10 was upgraded from win 7 or 8; which appears to be different when the laptop or tablet had win 10 preinstalled....probably other types of "administrator" also exist.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:15 PM   #14
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking the same thing about running it as administrator. For me that would mean opening Windows System in the start menu and then right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator. Then in the dos box navigate to where the calibre installer is and run it. Alternatively (this may not work for everyone) and less hassle navigating the windows filesystem, go to where the calibre installer is and go up one folder, then right click on the folder you came from and select Command Prompt (Administrator), and then run the calibre installer.

Windows offered me the opportunity to upgrade to 11 a few days ago; looks like declining was the prudent thing to do.

Last edited by hobnail; 11-15-2021 at 01:17 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #15
zebideedoodah
zebideedoodah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Problem installing update

Hi - first time posting here, so apologies if there's a more appropriate thread.

There are a few questions I would like to pick people's brains over, but before that I need some advice on an upgrade issue.

I'm running v5.13 and trying to upgrade to v5.32, but got this error message during install:

The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file
C:\Program Files
(x86)\Calibre2\app\bin\python-lib.bypy.frozen.

The Retry button has no effect.

I'm quite happy with 5.13 but I'd like to know what privileges it needs and whether I should pursue the upgrade.

Thanks for your help.
zebideedoodah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows 11