Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Elevatorguy
Elevatorguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre 7.2 problem

When converting pdf to epub using Calibre 7.2 getting Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html on every page?
The original pdf does not have this on it when viewing from adobe acrobat please help.
I have sony prs 600
Elevatorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The original pdf does have it, is just hidden. Use the remove header option in preferences. Search this forum for ABC amber to see examples of the remove header setting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Elevatorguy
Elevatorguy began at the beginning.

I have tried to use the header removal for Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html with no luck would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what to type in header removal, thank you
Elevatorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I use acrobat pro and can usually crop the header and footer easily using the crop dialog. Then I go to the document tab and choose examine document. After it searches the doc, it list the items it has found. I UNcheck metadata and bookmarks as I don't usually want those removed. I do however wish to remove hidden data, which is the header and footers I can no longer view so I leave the hidden data CHECKED. Save the pdf and import it into calibre. After that I can convert it with calibre and the headers should be gone.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevatorguy View Post
I have tried to use the header removal for Generated by ABC Amber LIT Converter, http://www.processtext.com/abclit.html with no luck would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what to type in header removal, thank you
same here - I'd like a global setting that will strip this from all future book conversions.

if that requires advanced programming then I'll stick with this workaround

1. convert to .rtf.
2, open the .rtf file within the calibre library , in Word.
3. use find + replace all to strip all instances of the string.
4. save
5. convert from rtf to epub/mobi as needed.

does not take long but has to be done for every book that contains the spam.

I can't believe that anyone would actually want this spam left in their books so hard code it's detection removal into a future calibre release please
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The problem is that the string for header/footer removal is book specific in the vast majority of cases and requires human intervention. If it is not then you could simply set these as defaults in the Calibre preferences.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well no - that string makes no mention of a specific book - it's generic spam for a conversion program. I have a big collection of old sci fi in .mobi , and that identical spam string is in lots of them - I guess because they were all converted with the same software.from lit to whatever.

also, it appears in other threads, so othe people have also encountered it.

so what's the calibre code that will kill it & where does that code have to go, please.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You set the regex under Preferences->Conversion->Common Options->Structure Detection for the Header regular expression and tick the Remove Header box.

Last edited by itimpi; 09-17-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
You set the regex under Preferences->Conversion->Common Options->Structure Detection for the Header regular expression and tick the Remove Header box.
duh - in simpler english please.

what's "the regex" - I'm guessing that's shorthand for REGular EXpression but what's the exact string that I need to type into that box
Old 09-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard

Yes - regex means regular expression.

However without examining an example of the book in question is not that easy to work out what the exact regex will be. In the simple case it will simply be the string you want to remove, but normally there will be variations in the string (such as page numbers) which you have to use regex extended syntax to specify.

Also, since the removal actually happens on the HTML that is an intermediate stage in the conversion you may also have to allow for additional things such as HTML tags being present which also need removing. Calibre allows you to get these intermediate files saved for examination for just this sort of purpose.

It is this sort of variation that can make it hard to come up with an expression that matches all the cases you want.