Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
jahfaby
Ambassador of smile
jahfaby began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook Pro
Rocket eBook - How do i connect my Rocket eBook to my MacBook?

After solving my Lost Charger Problem, i have only one unsolved problem left. How do i connect my eBook with my Macbook? First thing, i have no mac-software for the ebook und second problem i don't have a serial part. Now i bought a serial to usb adapter wich works on a windows pc (i tested it) and i started rocket librarian with darwine (windows emulator), but the software doesn't recognize the serial port.

Any ideas anyone?
jahfaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I saw this on the ebook mall site. IIRC there used to be a mac adapter for the device. I doubt you will find one though, except maybe on Ebay.

Macintosh Computer

- Power Macintosh (Power PC 601 or higher)
- Mac OS 8.5 or higher
- 16MB RAM recommended
- 10MB available hard disk space
- One available serial port (USB only machine will require a serial-to-USB adapter)

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
greg4987
greg4987 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi jahfaby!

While cleaning up for upcoming visitors, I came across my old Rocket eBook from NuvoMedia. I would like to know how to connect it to my MacBook running Mac OS X v10.6. The items in the box were complete except that the Quickstart Guide, User's Guide and, most importantly, the RocketLibrarian CD were missing. There was a Keyspan 9-pin serial to USB connector in the box, also. The Mac computer I had this software on is long gone. After searching the web all day, I couldn't find a way to do set it up. Fortunately, I still had a Windows XP desktop in my office that I had used for some contract work a few years ago. I was able to find a site called REB1200 for Dummies and it had the a link to the image of a REB1100 install CD and I was able to download that. I couldn't get the Keyspan converter to work, but the Windows XP desktop had an unused 8-pin serial port in the back and after setting the eBook Librarian software to COM1, my Rocket eBook connected. I stopped trying to get my serial to USB connector working after it worked with the serial port.

I know that this only works if you have a Windows XP computer and you may not have access to one with the 8-pin serial port. I hope you are able to eventually get the serial to USB converter to work under the Windows emulator you have. I still would like to know if someone can get everything working with a MacBook!

Good luck.

-Greg
greg4987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
jahfaby
Ambassador of smile
jahfaby began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook Pro
Hej Greg, sorry that i answer that late, but i have no news. I still have no idea how connect the REB to a Macintosh. But i'm working on it!
jahfaby is offline   Reply With Quote