Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
magarto
magarto began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
KF8, ASIN and Covers

Hi everyone,

After searching and trying several hours to convert with Calibre some EPUBs to the new format KF8 (using MOBI with both formats KF7 and KF8 to be able to send to my amazon cloud by email) they doesn't show book covers in the Paperwhite 2G.
Is there any way to fix it?

I have found that:

- If I convert to MOBI old format (KF7) it shows cover but I loose a lot of rich text like HTML5 and CSS3.
- If no ISBN is present in Calibre metadata, Calibre create a fake ASIN (Amazon ID), so the cloud check that ASIN and in the Paperwhite there is no cover.
- I found that I could use Mobi2Mobi to remove ASIN from already converted MOBI files. I have not tried but I want to do that with thousand free books. so I cannot do it one by one.

Thanks in advance!
magarto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
There is no way to send book over email and keep the cover.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 05-01-2015 at 10:59 AM.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
send-to-Kindle does now accept dual-MOBI, but the downside is an apparent bug triggered by KF8, where Amazon cannot extract the cover properly to send a thumbnail. Either KF8 or covers, pick either or.

The cover is still in the book, though.
@quiris has written a simple program to extract covers and add the thumbnails to the thunbnails folder.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212242

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #4
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Entire e-mail converter is one big black box mess that produce unexpected results.

That "bug" exist for years - Apparently Amazon don't give a shit.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 05-01-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
magarto

And, the same but downloading the book from internet (I want to create a OPDS library in a server)? If KF7 covers is ok but with KF8 (AZW3 or MOBI both) it doesn't show.

Thanks
Advert
Old 05-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Yep. You need something that upload cover to system cache. Calibre, KindleButler or you can fix all covers after upload with quiris ExtractCoverThumbs.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #7
magarto

Ok thanks... I can see that it is impossible to fix it directly without that python script (which works )

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is that the Kindle sees an ASIN (usually a fake one unless the book came from Amazon) and assumes the thumbnail is on Amazon's servers. So it will try to download one, which fails, and there is no fallback to extract the cover thumbnail from the ebook file.
If the book is a Personal Document (has the Personal banner) and it doesn't come from send-to-Kindle, then the Kindle itself would extract the thumbnail.

Why Amazon feels the need to be silly and host the thumbnails on their servers rather than always extracting them ondevice, I do not know. Presumably someone was feeling incredibly cool that day.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 PM   #9
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by magarto View Post
And, the same but downloading the book from internet (I want to create a OPDS library in a server)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by magarto View Post
Ok thanks... I can see that it is impossible to fix it directly without that python script ...
Not impossible. Calibre + Quality Check plug-in. No python script required:
  1. Import epub into Calibre and open Edit Metadata. Under Ids, enter ASIN (which you can get from Amazon site under Product Details. Example: "mobi-asin:B123456789". If an ISBN is already there, you can leave it and add the ASIN after, separating with a comma: "isbn:987654321, mobi-asin:B123456789".) ADD: You can also try "download metadata" and see if Calibre will pull the ASIN from Amazon's servers (thanks eschwartz for this tip).
  2. Convert to azw3
  3. Use Quality Check plug-in and select "Fix ASIN for Kindle Fire"

The resulting azw3 can be uploaded to a server and downloaded directly to a Kindle; the Kindle sees a properly embedded ASIN and retrieves the cover from Amazon's server. This works on my Kindle Voyage using Dropbox. Maybe it will work with your OPDS?

Last edited by odamizu; 05-02-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: added info
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why Amazon feels the need to be silly and host the thumbnails on their servers rather than always extracting them ondevice, I do not know. Presumably someone was feeling incredibly cool that day.
Yup, yup, yup.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Good thought on using the amazon ASIN for that book title. FYI a metadata download should get suitable "amazon:B00something" ASINs for Quality Check.

But this won't work with e.g. fanfiction, converted documents, etc.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:20 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
... But this won't work with e.g. fanfiction, converted documents, etc.
Yup. The book has to be available on Amazon.

Incidentally, you can insert any ASIN you like, it doesn't have to match the title. The Kindle will pull whatever cover matches the ASIN, even if it's a totally different book

If a book has multiple editions, each with their own ASIN, you can switch covers by switching ASINs. Goodreads is a good source for ASINs for editions that are no longer available for sale and therefore no longer searchable on Amazon's site. Visiting different Amazon sites by country will also give you different ASINs, allowing you to pick between, say, UK, Canada, and US covers, if they're different.

But still, as you say, it's silly -- nay, RIDICULOUS! -- that Amazon pulls thumbnails from their server rather than simply extracting them from the ebook. Seems like a whole lot of extra, unnecessary effort for everyone, including them.

Last edited by odamizu; 05-02-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
But still, as you say, it's silly -- nay, RIDICULOUS! -- that Amazon pulls thumbnails from their server rather than simply extracting them from the ebook. Seems like a whole lot of extra, unnecessary effort for everyone, including them.
(First, I'd like to say that I never use the Amazon e-mail service, so I don't know much about it.)

The only reason I can think of why they do it like that is because it could be impossible for the Kindle to extract the cover. For example, all of my covers are 1024x768 pixels, where possible. Most of them are around 500 kB. Many of my books are in the fantasy-genre, and have large maps.

If the AZW/dual-mobi format is compressed, like EPUB, the Kindle would need to uncompress it, copy the cover out of it, remove the decompressed book, and then shrink the cover. For large books, that may take quite some effort, not to mention time.

Downloading a 50-100 kB or so thumbnail would be MUCH faster.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #14
magarto

Thank you very much to everybody... Finally I'm converting to dual-MOBI, sending by e-mail and then, If the ASIN is incorrect (because I have too many books without ISBN) I use the python script.
Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #15
magarto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
(First, I'd like to say that I never use the Amazon e-mail service, so I don't know much about it.)

The only reason I can think of why they do it like that is because it could be impossible for the Kindle to extract the cover. For example, all of my covers are 1024x768 pixels, where possible. Most of them are around 500 kB. Many of my books are in the fantasy-genre, and have large maps.

If the AZW/dual-mobi format is compressed, like EPUB, the Kindle would need to uncompress it, copy the cover out of it, remove the decompressed book, and then shrink the cover. For large books, that may take quite some effort, not to mention time.

Downloading a 50-100 kB or so thumbnail would be MUCH faster.
With the python script it did not take a long to do, so I assume that doing that proccess is not a huge load (just maybe a minute for the device proccessor)

Tags
cloud, covers not displaying, kf7, kf8