Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Help; problems since finally updating to 2.5

Well. First of all, I didn't want the update. I've been at 1.9.17 for a long time, and I like it. (How can I go back to 1.9.17?) <-- I liked the Delima font.

In the past, after synching, I'd close desktop at the first sign of "Uploading Reader Upgrade" - eject, and all would be well.

But this time it loaded in a flash! (NOT so with my Glo, that update took a long time).

But now - here's the problem: Anything I had on the ereader that was added using ADE cannot be opened. "Oops! This document couldn't be opened. This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again."

Even weirder, some of the ADE books don't even show up on the ereader anymore.

Except that the Kobo ereader image shows up when connected to computer and in ADE. ~sigh.~

Do I need to (can I?) re-authorize if the device image shows up in ADE? (Isn't it, in a sense, "recognized" by ADE when the image is present)?

(And I'd still love to have 1.9.17 - or the Delima font, at any rate, however I can swing it).

(Sorry this post is so long...)
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Well. First of all, I didn't want the update. I've been at 1.9.17 for a long time, and I like it. (How can I go back to 1.9.17?) <-- I liked the Delima font.

In the past, after synching, I'd close desktop at the first sign of "Uploading Reader Upgrade" - eject, and all would be well.

But this time it loaded in a flash! (NOT so with my Glo, that update took a long time).

But now - here's the problem: Anything I had on the ereader that was added using ADE cannot be opened. "Oops! This document couldn't be opened. This document is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign-in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again."

Even weirder, some of the ADE books don't even show up on the ereader anymore.

Except that the Kobo ereader image shows up when connected to computer and in ADE. ~sigh.~

Do I need to (can I?) re-authorize if the device image shows up in ADE? (Isn't it, in a sense, "recognized" by ADE when the image is present)?

(And I'd still love to have 1.9.17 - or the Delima font, at any rate, however I can swing it).

(Sorry this post is so long...)
Posted by Poohbear_NC

Quote:
Well - this is interesting - my Glo updated to 2.50 -- and now I can't open any side loaded books - when I try to open one (from our MR library) I get this message "Oops! This document couldn't be opened - This document is protected by Adobe DRM"

What's going on? Do I need to do a Factory Reset and reload the books?
And a reply

Quote:
Fascinating - I powered the Glo off, removed the SD card, inserted the SD card, and powered the Glo on ... and the books are now no longer protected by Adobe DRM .... wild!
This is #70 in the Kobo Software Update 2.5 Thread
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

But I have no SD card.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried a power off / power on cycle?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Have you tried a power off / power on cycle?
Yes.

Strangest of all; the three most recent books I uploaded using ADE (a week or two ago?) have now been wiped out. They don't show up in my library.

So far, these same books are still okay on my Glo - but now I'm afraid to connect the Glo to ADE.

Hmmm. A thought. My ADE is version 1.7.2.1131

Dare I try an update to 2.0?

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 04-24-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: to add the Hmmm...
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If ADE is working, I'd leave it alone since you only get to activate/reactivate so many devices through ADE.

The first thing I'd suggest doing is making a decision: do you want to return to firmware 1.9.17 or do you want to stick with 2.5. It's an important decision since you're using ADE and it only gives you so many device activations. You don't want to change your mind later.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you run out of activations, you can contact Adobe to solve this. They don't seem to have any problem doing this.

The other thing you can do with the Kobo devices is to copy the ".adobe-digital-editions" directory and contents from the device. Restoring that after a factory reset should do the activation.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The other thing you can do with the Kobo devices is to copy the ".adobe-digital-editions" directory and contents from the device. Restoring that after a factory reset should do the activation.
I would suggest just copying the hidden activation.xml file from that directory rather than the whole directory. The device.xml varies between devices and, while I haven't seen any issues, copying it to a different device could cause problems. If nothing else, the device file has your Kobo serial number embedded in it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
If ADE is working, I'd leave it alone since you only get to activate/reactivate so many devices through ADE.

The first thing I'd suggest doing is making a decision: do you want to return to firmware 1.9.17 or do you want to stick with 2.5. It's an important decision since you're using ADE and it only gives you so many device activations. You don't want to change your mind later.
Well, I guess I'll stick with 2.5.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
If you run out of activations, you can contact Adobe to solve this. They don't seem to have any problem doing this.

I'm not sure I'm out of activations; that's the thing. I also don't see the ".adobe-digital editions" directory, except for it being just a device, XML document of 1KB, in that folder.

Also - I attempt to add things from ADE, and then I get a message that the item is already on the device, do I want to skip, duplicate, or replace the file.

So, if the item is already supposedly on my device, then why does it not show up in my "on screen" library?

Maybe I'll have to do a factory reset, arrrgh.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 04-24-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The other David pointed out the file you want it hidden. You will need to change the options in explorer to show it. Either that, or it isn't activated. If you open ADE while the device is connected, it will prompt you to do the activation if the file is missing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
The other David pointed out the file you want it hidden. You will need to change the options in explorer to show it. Either that, or it isn't activated. If you open ADE while the device is connected, it will prompt you to do the activation if the file is missing.
I haven't been prompted to do an activation - so I guess that file isn't missing.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #13
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Maybe I'll have to do a factory reset, arrrgh.
Try signing out and back into you Kobo account on the device (settings/account/sign out) before you factory reset. That rebuilds the database and may solve your problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote