Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-10-2008, 06:54 PM   #31
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The mobidedrm tool does seem to allow Kindle AZW e-books to be read by MobiPocket Reader software and (all) MOBI e-books to be read on the Kindle.

However, it may not allow format shifting because the MOBI "exploder" mobi2html does not work on files that use "Mobipocket hufdif compression" (mobigen -c2). Most DRM-free MOBI files use simple compression, but it is unknown what fraction of DRM-laden files use hufdif.

It would probably be ok for mobi2html to add support for hufdif (particularly since there are some DRM-free MOBIs using it), but first someone has to work out how to decompress such files.
There are plenty of people including the author of FBReader that would like to have the answer to that question.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has anyone tried asking Mobi for a specification of the compression format?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd guess it would be some kind of huffman code, since that's optimal for data on which you have a good prior. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 AM   #34
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Mobipocket HuffDic compression

If someone can provide me with mobipocket files that use the HuffDic compression scheme, I could attempt to write a decoder, assuming the compression format isn't too complicated and/or it would take too much time to figure out how it works.
darkninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 AM   #35
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
If you want to do such a thing then the easiest thing you can do is to get the free mobipocket creator from their website, generate a miniature book and compress it with various kinds including the c2 option so you can check how it proceeds from raw uncompressed to compressed state. Really, all you need you can download for free already.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 06:43 AM   #36
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was asked in

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/view...=decompressing

by DMcCunney but no answer.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, on their Creator forum. As expected, no response.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Yes, on their Creator forum. As expected, no response.
______
Dennis
I wonder why they could not have responded with just "No"?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #39
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Thank-you, DarkNinja for liberating my DRMed books! Even with the flu I feel like dancing!
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #40
darkninja
darkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enoughdarkninja will become famous soon enough

I wrote a decompressor for the new huffdic compressed files. Maybe this code can be incorporated into mobiperl?

Note. This program does not break any DRM encryption, so it's not illegal. It just decompresses files compressed with the new compression into a raw html file.

Thanks to Igor Skochinsky for the valuable assistance.

http://pastebin.com/m656dfbda

Last edited by darkninja; 02-12-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:41 PM   #41
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja View Post
I wrote a decompressor for the new huffdic compressed files.
Nice! However for the one from-the-wild compressed mobipocket book I have the trailing data-entries size calculation is obviously spurious (e.g. values like 251929435 bytes), which results in significant quantities of clipped text. Any chance you could take a second look at your algorithm / post details of how you derived the algorithm you do have?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #42
joewandy
Enthusiast
joewandy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Thank-you, DarkNinja for liberating my DRMed books! Even with the flu I feel like dancing!
Thanks from me too

Ironically for MobiPocket, this development would just result in more business from me as I would be less hesitant in buying more buying more Mobi books from now on.
joewandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #43
darkninja

I made a blog!

http://darkreverser.wordpress.com/

Here you can read about my reversing!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM   #44
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oooo - I see on your blog that you've also got an eReader to html converter. THAT one I'll have to go try! I have a *bunch* of eReader books, that I haven't all read yet and want to read on my Kindle.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #45
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
hmmmmmm ... what about protected eReader books?
There's a book I *really* want to read, but it's only available in pbook or eReader format. Could I buy it from eReader and then convert it to html? *ohpleaseohpleaseohplease*

EDIT: as I can see in another thread, your tool will do just that! excellent!

Last edited by mores; 02-13-2008 at 04:55 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, drm, formatting, mobipocket