Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Nook UK

The UK Barnes & Noble site now allows you to buy stuff.

So, those two Brits who were waiting for this, make the investment worth it!

http://uk.nook.com/store/books
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a dead as PARROT Kindle keyboard 3G,NEXUS 7 and Proud Of It
Obviously B&N think the streets of England are paved with gold for THEM as there charging more than DOUBLE for a number of there books that i have compared to on amazon.

Personally i have no allegiance to amazon but my wallet comes first and i don't take kindly to being ripped off.And these books i listed are on the B&N front page so i certainly did not cherry pick them for pricing.It's nice to know that B&N are so generous to there new uk customers and i hope there new business in the UK ceases to exist so they don't get the chance to con too many people out of there hard earned cash.

At these kind of prices no wonder Amazon wiped the floor with them back in the USA.

A Wanted Man Kindle Edition £8.07
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wanted-Man-J...1606711&sr=8-2

A Wanted Man NOOK Book (eBook) £19.81
http://uk.nook.com/ebooks/a-wanted-m.../9781409043560

Mack The Life Kindle Edition £9.49
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mack-The-Lif...1607677&sr=1-1

Mack The Life NOOK Book (eBook) £19.81
http://uk.nook.com/ebooks/mack-the-l.../9781446488768

The Stig (Top Gear) [Kindle Edition] £9.02
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stig-Top...1608418&sr=1-1

The Stig NOOK Book (eBook) £19.81
http://uk.nook.com/ebooks/the-stig-b.../9781448141074

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
darksaber35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I'm far from B&N's biggest fan, though I try to keep an open mind about their hardware.
US market share of Amazon 60%--Nook 25% isn't quite wiping the floor.
Rather, B&N came in "fashionably late" to the US market, grabbed a *lot* of market share real fast and then stalled.
Since then they haven't lost much market share but they haven't made any gains either.

Not sure about those listed prices, they are on the face of it absurd. (Is that spread universal or just anecdotal?)
Sounds like a math error somewhere; the Nook US price is $8.99 (Kindle is, surprisingly, $16.99).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
darksaber35
Banned
darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darksaber35 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only spent a few minutes looking through prices on there B&n main page but that was more than enough to make me never consider buying from them as there prices are ridiculous on SOME of there books.

Im no way saying there all as bad as that as i saw other books at a similar price to amazon BUT i never did see a single book CHEAPER on the B&n site.
To me that's a really bad way to start off a new store that needs to build confidence in a country that has no experience with the company before .

I advise any one to price check everything there contemplating buying to make sure there not being shafted at the check out.

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Obviously B&N think the streets of England are paved with gold for THEM as there charging more than DOUBLE for a number of there books that i have compared to on amazon.
Just looked at mine and they are all 9p cheaper than they are on Amazon.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Their prices left me speechless. Even waterstones are not this bad.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
darksaber35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Just looked at mine and they are all 9p cheaper than they are on Amazon.
Excuse me but did you bother to even click my web links OR read my post properly ?
I picked those three books because i was simply interested in buying them and was stunned when i checked them at amazon.com.

Quote:
obviously B&N think the streets of England are paved with gold for THEM as there charging more than DOUBLE for a number of there books that i have compared to on amazon.
Are you trying to take me out of context or are you just a poor reader?In my statement above i never said there all double the price as i already mentioned in my previous post.

Just one of the books i listed.

The Stig - £19.81
Product Details eISBN: 9781448141074
Publication Date: 25 October, 2012
Publisher: Ebury, Publishing Language: English
Format: NOOK Book, File Size: 2 MB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stig-Top...1638691&sr=1-1
The Stig (Top Gear) Kindle Edition £9.02

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1485 KB ,Print Length: 320 pages
Publisher: BBC Digital (25 Oct 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Language: English ,ASIN: B009A943D2
Text-to-Speech: Enabled ,X-Ray: Not Enabled
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-10-31-00-01-17.png
Views:	222
Size:	488.0 KB
ID:	95205  

Last edited by darksaber35; 10-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
They do seem a bit dear for some of their new books (A Blink of the Screen, Terry Pratchett £20 compared to £9 at Amazon, The True History of the Blackadder £19/£10 etc). But for most they seem pretty comparable.

I took the first four books from 'channels' and 'books under £2.99' on the Nook page, and apart from the Lee Child book you already listed, they are all the same price on both Nook & Amazon. Clearly they are pretty expensive for some books, but not all, most are pretty much the same price. To be honest, I that to be the case with most UK retailers compared to Amazon, which is why I've been starting to buy some books from BooksOnBoard instead (and just converting them for reading on my Kindle), as they are occasionally cheaper.

Trust Your Eyes - Linwood Barclay
Buy Now £9.99 same price at Amazon (& BooksOnBoard)

The Litigators - John Grisham
Buy Now £4.99 same price at Amazon/BOB

A Wanted Man - Lee Child
Buy Now £19.81 £8.07 at Amazon £5.77 at BOB

The Vanishing Point - Val McDermid
Buy now £8.49 same price at Amazon/BOB

One Night with a Hero - Laura Kaye
Buy Now £1.91 same price at Amazon £1.14 at BOB

Only the Innocent - Rachel Abbott
Buy Now £1.99 same price at Amazon (NA at BOB)

His Every Defense - Kelly Favor
Buy Now £1.91 same price at Amazon (NA at BOB)

London Calling - James Craig
Buy Now £1.99 same price at Amazon £4.10 at BOB!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaber35 View Post
Excuse me but did you bother to even click my web links OR read my post properly ?
I picked those three books because i was simply interested in buying them and was stunned when i checked them at amazon.com.

Are you trying to take me out of context or are you just a poor reader?In my statement above i never said there all double the price as i already mentioned in my previous post.

Just one of the books i listed.

The Stig - £19.81
Product Details eISBN: 9781448141074
Publication Date: 25 October, 2012
Publisher: Ebury, Publishing Language: English
Format: NOOK Book, File Size: 2 MB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stig-Top...1638691&sr=1-1
The Stig (Top Gear) Kindle Edition £9.02

Format: Kindle Edition
File Size: 1485 KB ,Print Length: 320 pages
Publisher: BBC Digital (25 Oct 2012)
Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
Language: English ,ASIN: B009A943D2
Text-to-Speech: Enabled ,X-Ray: Not Enabled
Amazon fought hard for the right to discount ebooks below cost so they can attract more Kindle owners. Presumably whoever makes the Nook has a different strategy.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote