Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
SquareTrade warranty - how does a claim work?

I have a square trade warranty for all of my Nooks. My newest STR is frozen and I can't get it to charge (although the light is green) or restart at all. It seems to be just dead. Now my B&N warranty is good for another couple weeks and I was going to exchange it. But (and this is a big but) I will get a refurbished Nook, not a new one. I keep my things in mint condition. You couldn't even tell mine is used. If I go through ST I get a refund on what I paid, correct? I paid the original $139 not the $79 price. And I am honestly wondering if I want another as I have read of tons of problems like this with the STR.

So does anybody know if I can do a refund through ST withing the first year of manufacturer warranty? Or do I have to wait until after my warranty is up? I bought the full accidental coverage. I am worried if I wait that maybe ST will have a loophole to get out of it. Anybody either got a replacement unit or a check for what they paid?

Thanks.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I don't know how things work for Nooks. I had a Square Trade warranty on an iPod that went bad. i contacted ST; they had me take the ipod into the nearest Apple store, who charged me $78 to replace the iPod with a refurbished one. i sent the invoice to ST, and they sent me a check for the $78.

My experience with refurbished units (several 5th gen ipods, a Kindle NT4) have all been very good;you couldn't tell them from brand new.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Thanks Becca. Did your warranty end then after the trade? The thing is I am in Canada so I won't be able to take it in to B&N until after the manufactures warranty is up.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
nope, the warranty was still in effect. the warranty was for the purchase price of the iPod. After the claim, the warranty is worth the purchase price less the $78 they sent me.

Frankly, I'd call Square Trade and ask them your question about what will be covered.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai

I have emailed them as the number doesn't work here. Haven't heard back. If I can keep my warranty through ST for the original purchase, I have no problem getting a refurbished unit. But otherwise my ST warranty was wasted $ since it was within the manufactures warranty.
Advert
Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I have emailed them as the number doesn't work here. Haven't heard back. If I can keep my warranty through ST for the original purchase, I have no problem getting a refurbished unit. But otherwise my ST warranty was wasted $ since it was within the manufactures warranty.
I believe SquareTrade covers accidental damage and the manufacturer doesn't. So that feature plus the additional year(s) of coverage is the value of having it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
It wasn't wasted, because they have different purposes. A manufacturer's warranty ONLY covers manufacturing defects; the SquareTrade warranty protects you against accidental damage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
Care
Aes Sedai

I understand that, that is why I paid for the ADH warranty. I thought if it was replaced that I would loose half the warranty I paid for. If I got back the second year I wouldn't mind, but I didn't want to loose half of the warranty. They finally emailed me back so I know how it works now. I guess it transfers over, so that is awesome. I buy warranties, but thankfully so far have never had to use one until now. I guess this seems to be a big problem with the STR.

Now I just have to wait until I am back in the US so I can go to B&N. Then I will get a refurbished one I guess. Right now I just want an eink since my other one is too hard to see in the sun.