Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #31
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
To most of us locked down means not being able to do stuff we want the way we want to do it. Normally with iOS its their way or the highway. You cant get an app outside the appstore. Previously if you put ebooks in 1 app you could not open it with another. I have not played with the latest version of iOS so am not sure if its still the case. You can't make a browser of your choice as a default or a music app or google voice etc. A camera app is not allowed to use the volume key to take pictures. Can't install torrent client controler. Can't use it as usb drive.
You're right. iPhone can't do any of that.

monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #32
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
You're right. iPhone can't do any of that.
How about scheduling the level of your ringtone volume? That's a hugely important feature to me and the primary reason for why I went with an Android phone. My wife has an iPhone and I couldn't find a way to do it in the settings nor an app that could do it.

When I searched on it (which, granted, was a while ago) I found some info saying that part of the OS was locked down from App developers, which was why there were no 3rd party solutions.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I know I'm late to the party, but articles such as these always disappoint me.

Quote:
Take the case of developer Ryan Bateman, who built what reviewers called “the first beautiful, simple Instapaper client for Android.” Despite heavy tech news coverage about Papermill following its release, Bateman says the app netted less than $600 in profit over its first three weeks in release. Bateman’s effective rate for the project to date worked out to barely more than $2 per hour.

OK, so that’s one app from one developer, and Papermill requires that you have a separate subscription to Instapaper’s paid service (which costs $1 per month). But Bateman’s tale of disappointing Android sales is anything but unique
This seems like a misunderstanding of apps' market penetration in Android. A lot of times I see anecdotes such as these quoted, usually with the point made that Android users are inclined to be petty cheaparses. In the case of Instapaper, the fates took their sweet time in seeing a client released, and by the time it came out there were already alternatives, some of which one even has to pay for. Marco Arment, the creator of Instapaper, has also been clear for a long time in his lack of interest in developing for Android, due again to the belief that Android users don't pay. What a surprise that Android users will look elsewhere for alternatives.

I do wonder if iOS developers and to a lesser extent users really do believe that Android users suffer from a paucity of quality apps, that we do hunger for the polished gems of the iOS market whilst suffering from the absence of any of our own, and that simply porting their hit apps to Android will guarantee success.

So every time an iOS developer comes to Android and then trots out this excuse, it always frustrates me. I'd certainly be happy to pay for quality apps, though since I was previously an iOS user, maybe I've just still retained the tendency to throw my money at passing electronic fripperies, who knows.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moderator Notice
You may have noted that some posts have disappeared in this thread.

MobileRead is an international, family-friendly, discussion-based community and as such everyone is entitled to share his or her opinion POLITELY and to receive the same in response. This is a private community, and we REQUIRE that everybody abides by the rules of conduct laid out in our Posting Guidelines, the first rule of which is Discuss Things Politely.

There are obviously differing viewpoints, and no one is going to persuade the other that they are wrong. If you are unable to remain polite, it is better to refrain from posting anything and place the thread and/or member(s) on ignore. Do not continue the disagreements, acknowledge that views do differ, and move on.

Report and DO NOT respond.

Rudeness will not be tolerated.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As someone with both iOS and Android devices, I can easily see why iOS is making more money. It's easier to monetize iOS apps.

One reason I've spent more on iPhone apps is because it's easier to "pay cash." I don't have a credit card associated with either my iOS or Android devices. With Android, that means no purchases from Google Play. With iOS, that means I just buy an iTunes card.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
As someone with both iOS and Android devices, I can easily see why iOS is making more money. It's easier to monetize iOS apps.

One reason I've spent more on iPhone apps is because it's easier to "pay cash." I don't have a credit card associated with either my iOS or Android devices. With Android, that means no purchases from Google Play. With iOS, that means I just buy an iTunes card.
When you only buy free apps like I do, you don't need any forms of payment. All appstores are equally accessible.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #37
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When you only buy free apps like I do, you don't need any forms of payment. All appstores are equally accessible.

Cheapskate

Why you are as Bad as Me
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #38
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Cheapskate

Why you are as Bad as Me
Nobody beats the Monkey at saving money!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #39
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A....uh.... That sounds so terrible. I'm sure it was intentional, but...man. Great choice of words.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
A....uh.... That sounds so terrible. I'm sure it was intentional, but...man. Great choice of words.

I Just read that again and I had to laugh
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #41
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Thanks for the laugh!

It reminded me of that line from Night at the Museum.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #42
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Dang, you guys are bad! I'd say something, but I'd rather not get suspended.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #43
doonasmith
doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doonasmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The most developers choose ios because of some factors like design ios is more simpler than the Android eclipse, drag and drop functionality.
doonasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #44
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
One thing I have noticed is that on Google Play, you often have the option of getting an app in a free (demo, limited functionality, or ad-supported) version, and a paid full version. On the Apple store, more than likely you will have to pay for any app.

With my new HTC View, I've been looking at different apps that use the stylus, including cad and vector drawing apps. I got about 20 or so different apps to try out, and ending up spending about $20 for the ones I really liked. In the Apple world, you would probably spend $50-100 to do the same thing.
the only thing i HATE about google play is the fact that they refuse to let you delete an app of your account. i left my phone on accident at a friends overnight and the jerk thought it would be cute to have several "adult" apps on my phone and now its on my account permanently. there is no way to remove it. now every time my wife has to search for new apps on our shared account she has to sift through my friends childish joke.
On Amazon app store, itunes app store, Nook Appstore, Blackberry appstore, Windows mobile app store ALL allow you do premanently delete apps from your account. but me i have over 100 trial apps and the few adult apps that my friend put on my account that i can never delete! its the main reason why ive just about gave up on google play and will only use amazons limited app store!
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #45
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
the only thing i HATE about google play is the fact that they refuse to let you delete an app of your account. i left my phone on accident at a friends overnight and the jerk thought it would be cute to have several "adult" apps on my phone and now its on my account permanently. there is no way to remove it. now every time my wife has to search for new apps on our shared account she has to sift through my friends childish joke.
On Amazon app store, itunes app store, Nook Appstore, Blackberry appstore, Windows mobile app store ALL allow you do premanently delete apps from your account. but me i have over 100 trial apps and the few adult apps that my friend put on my account that i can never delete! its the main reason why ive just about gave up on google play and will only use amazons limited app store!
This bugs me, too. While it's somewhat nice to see what you've downloaded, there are the ones that I just want to get rid of some in the list. There's a little issue/petition thingie at google. It's something I hope they listen to and fix. Just a simple check box and remove system would be GREAT.

Last edited by RainingLemur; 06-08-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Lemurs
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote