Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
ibex333
ibex333 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook STR
How good is the "rooted" Nook STR at reading "technical" PDFs?

Anyone tried technical PDFs on their rooted Nook STR with those readers available for download online? I know that the Nook STRs screen is too small for such a task, but can you pan and scroll to fit any part of the page into the screen without tearing or image becoming unreadable?

I am talking about books like Programming books, Cisco Exam Prep, Graphic Design books... Basically books that show pages of code, screenshots of PCs screen, graphs, images, charts, etc.

Thanks!

PS: Maybe someone can be bothered to post a you tube video of this?
ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Can't help as I don't have a STR. The however here a a link to a post that might help

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=141532
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
My 2 cents (programming books is basically what I read... mostly)

6" screens are too small for programming books (PDFs or regular ebook format).

If you don't even have landscape mode, is even worse. I tried that, trust me, and it is really frustrating. I've posted screen-shots here of how bad it looks. A 10" screen, let's say a Motorola Xoom, iPad, Galaxy, are much better on that.

If budget is a concern or you want an eink device, try to buy one with landscape mode. It won't cut off (or there is less chance of that) let's say, a Sony or a Kindle 3.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

If you don't even have landscape mode, is even worse. I tried that, trust me, and it is really frustrating. I've posted screen-shots here of how bad it looks. A 10" screen, let's say a Motorola Xoom, iPad, Galaxy, are much better on that.

If budget is a concern or you want an eink device, try to buy one with landscape mode. It won't cut off (or there is less chance of that) let's say, a Sony or a Kindle 3.
I second that. I read technical PDFs on my nookColor with ezPDF, in landscape mode; I leave the nook touch for plain text, as I much prefer eInk for that.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
joQ
joQ is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs 350
Doesn't the rooted nook touch have apps that read pdf's in landscape mode??
joQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 04:06 AM   #6
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by joQ View Post
Doesn't the rooted nook touch have apps that read pdf's in landscape mode??
Yes, Aldiko 2.0 which works very well:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...ing-apps-list/
Like users have said above, If you want to use PDF's your better off with a larger screen (Kindle DX) or similar.

Last edited by gargoyle67; 09-10-2011 at 05:01 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
the Touch doesn't have the horsepower, and e-ink is ill-suited for .pdf
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

I agree completely. The only device I've been able to tolerate PDFs on is my 10" Xoom and it works pretty well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
mmm just tried aldiko... it chokes on a 500 page 5MB file
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

a rooted Nook STR is as good as reading a PDF as an unrooted Nook STR - they both suck

seriously, although you can get a modicum of performance w/text-based pdf files, the STR does not have the 'horsepower' to handle PDFs and to offer zoom in/out, etc.

it ain't gonna happen - no way, no how...

get a more powerful tablet, netbook, or notebook
Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
I do the same as you regarding TEch Books

Get a Pocketbook 902 or the new 912. I have one and Cisco CCNA, thru CCIE books looks well and work in landscape mode.

My 3 cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibex333 View Post
Anyone tried technical PDFs on their rooted Nook STR with those readers available for download online? I know that the Nook STRs screen is too small for such a task, but can you pan and scroll to fit any part of the page into the screen without tearing or image becoming unreadable?

I am talking about books like Programming books, Cisco Exam Prep, Graphic Design books... Basically books that show pages of code, screenshots of PCs screen, graphs, images, charts, etc.

Thanks!

PS: Maybe someone can be bothered to post a you tube video of this?
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
helping to clarify, when unrooted the built in reader is either zoom with reflow wrap --> no diagrams, or full page --> small text. no panning view.

if rooted, it can use any Android reader, but panning is an awful lot of e-ink blinking, if u mind, and some tough content may choke the app, eg pmbok 4 on Adobe.

if course, I am currently pampered with an ipad 2 n HP touchpad, textbooks are fantastic on those. in a pinch, I still read my zoomed n reflowed pmbok on the nook built-in reader, cos of bookmarks. but formatting is compromised.

Last edited by serwei; 11-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
AEA64
AEA64 began at the beginning.

Device: Considering getting a Pocket eDGe or Kindle 4
not enough 'horsepower'? that's sad, because it looks like the app called ezPDF can do a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAcdHuI5hw
from 2:00
AEA64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
linux_author
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEA64 View Post
not enough 'horsepower'? that's sad, because it looks like the app called ezPDF can do a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAcdHuI5hw
from 2:00
you can read .pdfs on the STR - and some .pdf conversions to epub via calibre work fine, but no matter how well coded the commercial 'droid .pdf app is, the experience is guaranteed to suck on STR when attempting to ready graphics-heavy .pdfs...

note the demo only shows text-based .pdf reading - aside from one small line drawing...

don't buy the STR expecting it to perform as a .pdf reader - you will be disappointed

on the other hand, it is a wonderful device for reading books and running a few other 'droid apps - and rooting is unobtrusive
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
joQ
joQ is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs 350
thank you all so much for your detailed rplies. i really appreciate that.
joQ is offline   Reply With Quote