Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Buyer Beware with Kobo and Zinio!

I had a surprise in my bank statement. It turns out that Zinio and Kobo add an "international services" fee to every purchase. It is just a few cents per purchase, but sort of pissed me off.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
kobo is a canadian company..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I had a surprise in my bank statement. It turns out that Zinio and Kobo add an "international services" fee to every purchase. It is just a few cents per purchase, but sort of pissed me off.
It's not Kobo that's doing it, but your bank. Foreign currently conversion always incurs a charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not Kobo that's doing it, but your bank. Foreign currently conversion always incurs a charge.
No, that is not it. I went to the bank in person, and this is a separate charge by the seller.

iTunes store always adds tax and stuff, and it is included in the total. That is OK. This was a surprise. I thought someone was tampering with my bank account.

So Kobo is Canadian? I didn't know that.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Is this something new? I checked my account at Kobo (last purchase was 3.22.10) and there was nothing added.... hmmmm..... I will pay attention when I buy again....

No big deal, but yes, I would like to know what I am actually paying before I buy.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Harry's right. It's a standard bank charge for international exchange. My bank labels it an "INTERNATIONAL PURCHASE TRANSACTION FEE."

We vacationed in Victoria last summer and every time we used a debt card the same fee turned up on our bank statement. Canadian merchants will turn American Sawbucks into Loonies and Twonies for you at the cash register but they add an extra 2% to 5% above that day's currency exchange rate to cover their cost to change the currencies. It's cheaper to use the bank card and let the bank do it directly like Kobo does.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

As I said above, in March Kobo did not add anything to mine. Whatever is marked, is the price I paid......
Old 07-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps the best thing for DixieGal to do is to ask her bank if it is their fee, or one added by the merchant.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps the best thing for DixieGal to do is to ask her bank if it is their fee, or one added by the merchant.
She did, read post number 4
Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My apologies - I'd overlooked that.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #11
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Here in the UK I sometimes get charged a few % for conversion fees when buying from another country, but I have noticed it can depend on a number of things, some of which are:

Company - some do, some don't
Debit Card - More often than not this does
Credit Card - This never has
Total purchase price - If its a big price, they waive the extra fee.
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
nick101
Groupie
nick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheesenick101 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-600 Touch, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaize View Post
Here in the UK I sometimes get charged a few % for conversion fees when buying from another country, but I have noticed it can depend on a number of things, some of which are:

Company - some do, some don't
Debit Card - More often than not this does
Credit Card - This never has
Total purchase price - If its a big price, they waive the extra fee.
I've always admired the clarity and consistency of UK banks' charging policy. I'm pleased to see that others are now following their lead.
nick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #13
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
This extra currency exchange charge by credit card companies have been a personal pet peeve for years. I see it a lot living in Canada purchasing from the US... I would guess the opposite is more rare due to the sizes of the respective markets. I'd check again with the credit card company... Maybe a different customer service agent. Vendors charge your card using their native currency. The credit card company then makes the conversion to your currency when they process it and adds the service charge.

I have no problem with stores dealing with actual paper charging a small fee because it is an extra hassle for them, but I have a hard time seeing the need to do this with instant, computerized electronic transactions.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #14
dwcobb
dwcobb began at the beginning.

Device: none
International Bank Fees

Hi:

I work for Zinio, and we saw your post and wanted to give you an explanation.

First, we apologize for any inconvenience. Zinio is global organization with presence in dozens of countries around the world, and to support our international business we work with a payment processor overseas.

However, the charge you see on your account was not made by Zinio. Some financial institutions add the charge based on the international processing. Not all financial institutions do so.

Credit card companies such as Visa and MasterCard apply fees ranging from 0.15 to 3 percent to financial institutions for international transactions based on their use of global payment systems. These fees are paid by financial institutions on transactions that require the use of their global infrastructure.

If financial institutions or merchants decide to assess a foreign transaction fee to their customers, they are required to provide details to their cardholders and consumers.

We are always reviewing all aspects of our business process, and we do welcome the feedback on this point. If we can be of any assistance or have any additional thoughts to share, don't hesitate to reach out to us at our customer service address: support@zinio.com

David Cobb
Zinio
dwcobb is offline   Reply With Quote